Light-O-Rama Forums

TRIPPED UP RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX DC MP3

Doublell

I am a new LOR user and just got my hardware. I have the DC MP 3 Director and connected it to my computer using the USB 485B and the Hardware Utiltiy does not find the director.

Also the icon at the bottom of my computer says my status on the LOR software is currently disabled.

I have spent hours looking at the forum for answers and some of the topics look well above my level and don't address this issue. People on the forum have problems well above my level. I can only hope that there are not hurdles every step of the way.

What now?

Thanks for any help.

To answer the second question first ... the LOR disabled icon/status is nothing to worry about right out of the gate. That means that your shows that you have scheduled to play are not going to run, because you haven't "Enabled Shows" within that menu. Click on the LOR icon in your status bar, and you will see the enable shows link.

What happens when you connect a regular controller to the USB485? Does the HWU see the controller? If not, then you have an communications issue between the computer and your controller. Make sure the drivers are installed for the USB485, and that you have the correct comm port selected. You can use the 'auto configure' button in the top left of the HWU to set the comm port.

Once you do that, you should be able to see the Showtime Director (when plugged in, of course.)

Couple things..

1) You installed the driver that came with the -485 first, before you plugged it in?

If no, then unplug the -485, load the drivers that came with it.. It takes a few seconds.. 10-15 to install, (installs in a small DOS window).. Once it's done, then you can plug it in..

If Yes, (you did install the drivers first), then it's:

2) Comm port.. with the -485, AND a controller connected, go into Device Manager, look at the USB Device Comm port that shows up, what comm port does it say? Likely it says Comm 15 or something like that.. (no idea why it goes so high, but it does).. the -485 has to be like.. Comm 6 or lower. You'll have to go into Properties, Advanced, change the comm port to.. 6 or lower (lower is good).

Once its changed to a lower port, exit out of the DM, with -485 and controller still plugged in, open the Hardware Utility, open the Comm Port window (left side) does your new port show up? Click on it, you should get "Use This Comm Port?" Yes, them hit Refresh and see if your controller (a single one) show up. If not, set the unit number, then test the controller with a set in each dongle.. repeat for each controller you have..

Edited by TJ Hvasta

I am a new LOR user and just got my hardware. I have the DC MP 3 Director and connected it to my computer using the USB 485B and the Hardware Utiltiy does not find the director.

Also the icon at the bottom of my computer says my status on the LOR software is currently disabled.

I have spent hours looking at the forum for answers and some of the topics look well above my level and don't address this issue. People on the forum have problems well above my level. I can only hope that there are not hurdles every step of the way.

What now?

Thanks for any help.

The way I am reading this is the HWU finds his controllers, but it doesn't find the DC-MP3 Showtime DIrector. And IT WON'T!

The DC-MP3 Showtime Director WILL NOT show up in the {Controller} hardware list at all. To get access to the DC-MP3 Showtime Director unit is thought the LOR MP3 tab in the HWU software. This is where you also update the DC-MP3 Showtime Director internal clock. {EDIT: Error, had stated you also update the firmware for the MP3 directors here, that is incorrect, you do not update the firmware for the MP3 Director here, that is done in the firmware tab at the bottom of the HWU}.

To access the DC-MP3 Showtime Director in the HWU and see if it's connected:

Open Hardware Utility

Click on LOR MP3 tab

Now look to the bottom right of the MP3 screen, you should see a small square area with the text "Remote Time" to the left of it, or without a time in it, if there is a time, it should match your computers clock. If not, set the time to your computer clock by clicking on the Set to PC's time button.

Also this same square area above it will have the text: MP3 Connected or MP3 Not Connected. this is the ONLY area that will show you if the MP3 unit is actually connected and found.

This is also the same area you create your shows from musical sequences, set show times and other options available to the MP3 director units.

Been using an LOR DC-MP3 Showtime Director for 3+ years now and this is the only way to know if it's connected, how to update it's firmware and create shows on an SD card for it.

As for your second question, that bulb in your task bar, if red is disabled, and this is the color it should be when testing your sequences through the LOR Sequencer, it should only be blue and enabled when waiting to start or running a show from your PC. If it is blue and you try to load your HWU or use the sequencer to test a sequence, it will usually come back with an error that the COMM PORT LOR requires is in use at this time. And the HWU won't usually start until you disable the bulb icon, turning it from red back to blue. Just right click the bulb icon to enable or disable it via the options that will pop up in the window. This will also affect your DC-MP3 Showtime Director and can cause some very interesting issues with out of sycn lights, lights on when they should be off, off when they should be on, etc.

Hope this helps.

EDIT2: And make sure you have all the USB and USB485B drivers installed first. If they aren't installed the HWU won't find anything at all!

Edited by Orville

Guest wbottomley
that bulb in your task bar, if red is disabled, and this is the color it should be when testing your sequences through the LOR Sequencer, it should only be blue and enabled when waiting to start or running a show from your PC.

What if it's orange?

What if it's orange?

William,

Very good question.

If it is orange it means that you are running a show on demand.

Oh and make sure you have the latest FDTI USB driver installed as well! You can find this at the Windows Update site if you haven't installed the latest driver.

I did forget about the ON DEMAND show LOR bulb being Orange.

But since the OP said it was disabled, I was going on disabled = red, enabled = blue premise.

Now if the OP would have brought up his LOR Task Tray bulb was Orange, then I'd have addressed that at the time, as that would have made me think about the Show On Demand option.

Welcome to the madness!

Glad to see another user in So Cal. If you have not figured out the problem send me a message.

You are not far away from Simi Valley and I would be happy to help you get your show going.

Scott