Light-O-Rama Forums

Where Can I Find A Good Plastic Box To Mount Lor In?

Tim from St.louis

MP, a gathering, mass, collection o' sequences, sequeii, as it were.. oll th' ones I 'ave accumulated o'er th' last couple years from th' ol' LORSequences.com website.. quite a few I gatha', to wit, ta burn onto said disk, an' set adrift, to land upon young Daniel's shore, savvy? As 'e is bu' a user in train'in', a beginnin' wit' a few sequences ta study, adjust, manipulate, massage an' otherwise convert ta 'is own yard.. an' as they be well known pieces, 'e mos' likely 'as th' music ta th sequii in question.. if naught, then, locations, wit' a map, an' compass shall be included.. P-) (there really needs ta be pirate smileys 'ere)

(translated: burn my folder of sequences onto a cd for him to look over, figure which ones work for his yard, or change them to fit, if he doesnt already have the music (most likely does) then places to get them)

Ah Laddie, tis a fine yarrrn ye be a spinning. Nae laddie, tis not a ting to savy ye yarrrn. Ah werrre able ta underr stand each of yea words. ifn nae, tin yea last made tit clear. An laddie ifn ah may say yea doing a fine Capten Sparrow. Tis as ifn ta Capten be ah sitten rrrite next ta me.

'tis a wondrus thing, typin' this "piratical speak".. able ta type pirate, comes easy.. easier.. um.. less 'ard.. than talkin' pirate.. Many a Sept 19th I do rue, as Talk Like A Pirate I must on tha' day.. tho much ratha type it as th' words, inflectionless as they may be, doth sound much more like 'witty Jack than me tryin ta speak like me avatar..

Gents,

My name is Chris and I am the guy behind WLC Ventures that appears a good many times in this thread. After catching up from the largest half year we have ever seen, I am now getting to the point where I can take some time to explain who we are and what we do (or in some cases what we have not done)

First off...we are a Part Time business...and...we serve ONLY the Christmas Lighting community. To deal with the massive number of orders this year , there are now three folks helping us out now on a part time basis. Now I have to get down to the nitty gritty even though it is a bit painful for me personally so here goes.....

1. Were we guilty of not replying to emails...you betcha we were. At the beginning of this year, it was just me....and if I was typing, no one was packing orders. This is changing as we speak or I would not be typing this message.

2. Were we guilty of ignoring folks or lying to anyone...I can tell you this is an emphatic 100% NO! There has been a significant amount of time devoted to finding out why emails do not get delivered. Some are simple spam and go to your spam folder...that is a no brainer solution as we all know. The real problem is that ISPs have spam filters that work on emails you will NEVER see as they work behind the scenes. It is clear that WLC Ventures ended up on the bad side of several ISPs as I have documented evidence of over 100 emails that were never received by the addressee.

3. Were we guilty of over committing?...well this is a solid yes as well and nothing that we are proud of.

I hope you can see how a massive influx of orders combined with sporadic delivery of what I am estimating as 15% of our emails can lead to a large tangled mess. Our yearly Vampire Plug and Wire sale delivery happened just about the time all the new orders came in...and the rest of the story frankly sucks.

One person in this thread made note that we are more a "service to the community" than a real vendor. You see, that is a yes at the beginning of this year and will be more of a no by the end of this year. I do understand that some here have had "unhappy" experiences with us and we will seek to remedy that as you allow us to. This business was never intended to be a full time online store where items are shipped the next day and that many LOR customers are used to and have begun to expect. However, it seems that is what folks are beginning to expect even on the DIY side of the world. So needless to say that is where we are headed for our third year in existence.

Shipping Charges: Enclosures are a bear to estimate shipping as they are all considered what UPS refers to as Dimensional Weight...this is exactly why we send shipping invoices out after the orders are packed instead of by an online calculator. We do not want to over charge anyone but we also cannot afford to lose money either. I have a prototype solution for the store software but I am just now getting any time to work on the solution. I know for a fact that I upset wbottomly when I told him I did not have the time to get shipping quotes in advance...but that was the truth and I will not run from that even if it hurts me personally. I can only promise you that we will get you what you need at a competitive price.

We have every size enclosure in stock (which means around 5 cases of each size). We are working diligently to get shipping quotes out within three days and shipping within three days of the shipping charges being received. Some of you will still see three days as a bit long...but remember that we only work Monday, Wednesday and Friday...so three days is more like overnight from our side. And, the one thing that will separate us from others, is we have no minimums...need 2 CG-1500s...not a problem! Want a whole case....well we match anyone's prices on those as well.

First off, I want to thank you for letting us be a part of this great community. Secondly, I want to offer you all my personal apology to anyone that we may have upset. I can promise you that it was never intentional and everyone here is committed to preventing such an event in the future.

Cheers,

Chris

• Like 2

I can vouch for Chris as I have talked with him several times over the past several years and I have placed orders and have never had a problem. Knowing that in the past it was a one man shop and that he was just trying to help me save money, I could wait and just ordered in plenty of time for me to get it. Chris has a full time job and in the past he travelled for his job.

I tried looking for the invoice but couldn't find it. But, I know the total was $88.77 which is $14.80 each with shipping. I'm guessing they were $10-$11 each? I ordered one day, at my doorstep three later.

Same here. Had my in three days. This is the second time I have ordered fro them. Great job.

Guest wbottomley
I know for a fact that I upset wbottomly when I told him I did not have the time to get shipping quotes in advance...but that was the truth and I will not run from that even if it hurts me personally. I can only promise you that we will get you what you need at a competitive price.

Chris... you provide an invaluable service to the community. I'm the least upset person you'll find. It can be difficult to juggle a full time job and run an online store.

I'll pipe in too. After several orders over the last couple years Chris has always come through and I'm convinced of his integrity. It's difficult to balance saving the community money against charging more to have better infastructure and tracking systems. There are both options out there. His website is pretty straightforward with this reasoning.

As Chris noted above WLC Ventures is evolving into a larger store with faster turnaround, and that'll be even better for the community. But right now WLC is the right option to save money if you can afford to wait a while if he's out of stock or backed up with orders.

So I guess I'm just saying I would recommend purchasing from WLC if you would like good prices or to get in on some awesome group buys on Vampire Plugs or SPT wire, unless you need something very quickly, and then it's probably better to pay a bit more for a larger retailer until WLC evolves a bit more.

• 2 weeks later...

wbottomley - How did you get your kit to fit in the dffco box. did you have to modify your heat-sink assembly to line up with the anchors in the box. They are great boxes and last night just finished my first kit. (2 more on the way after the TryforFree thing ships) And after looking I had forgotten to cut my leads from the Triac's ugh, so off to RatShack to get some Thermal Paste WooHoo.

Thanks in advance for your guys' support. It is truly a great forum!

• 2 months later...

FWIW I placed an order with WLC. Product was in stock and my payment was immediately accepted. Upon closer examination of his fineprint, the in-stock quantity means that he either has product or it may simply be on order with his vendor. My order was never accepted. Then his stock showed 0. Upon checking his shipping status page it shows that he hasn't updated any shipping information since September. His phone is not answered. My emails are never answered. I have asked for a refund and since he didn't accept my order, it shouldn't be a problem.... I hope. I'll post what happens and when. WLC may be OK but their silence has been deafening.

In the meantime, I needed 9 more boxes asap. I called dfcco at 4:30 today per Bottomley's recommendation. (Thank you.) I placed a phone order for 9 CG-1500s ($12/ea), they called back in 6 minutes with shipping price. Then 37 minutes later I received UPS email that the units had shipped (not just posted). I should have them Thursday. The irony is that even at $12/ea, dfcco was $1.79 cheaper for the order plus I'll have them in 3 days, not maybe next March.

Way to go dfcco!!

Update on my experience with WLC Ventures.. Still no response from WLC Ventures to any of my emails. Their phone is still going unanswered. I filed a dispute with Paypal yesterday and today he refunded my money. No message, no note, no email, no explanation as to his lack of attentiveness and lack of communication.

However, the dispute has been resolved and closed out. I think it is only fair that since I noted a problem with this vendor that I also note that he quickly resolved the problem once I filed a dispute. I would have preferred that he ship product but I am happy with this result.

All I can say is that during my first year, I was taken for a ride by Travis. Not as bad as some, but still did not get everything I had ordered and paid for. I am very skittish about vendors and when they are slow and do not communicate well. I will not walk away but run. I know WLC will not get any more business from me. I did get everything I paid for, but the long delay and zero communication has me with my tail between my legs and running for the hills.

It appears that even after Chris's post. He is still having problems like the past year. Dont know what the problems are, but in this day and age if you can not be responsive in a short manner. Someone else will and people will migrate to those who can respond.

I was in a hurry for some enclosures and I broke my #1 rule - check references on the forums. I need communication. Why is it that Ray Wu can be half way around the world and 12 hour different time zone can answer all my questions and get his products to me yet this bozo in Texas can't even acknowledge a PAID ORDER????

I got my money back thanks to paypal but I am now two weeks behind in my schedule. All this stress and aggravation over some enclosures?? No way. Use dfcco - their prices are slightly better and their communication and shipping are great! I'm done with WLC - he has proved that a tiger doesn't change its stripes.

• 2 months later...

I was in a hurry for some enclosures and I broke my #1 rule - check references on the forums. I need communication. Why is it that Ray Wu can be half way around the world and 12 hour different time zone can answer all my questions and get his products to me yet this bozo in Texas can't even acknowledge a PAID ORDER????

I got my money back thanks to paypal but I am now two weeks behind in my schedule. All this stress and aggravation over some enclosures?? No way. Use dfcco - their prices are slightly better and their communication and shipping are great! I'm done with WLC - he has proved that a tiger doesn't change its stripes.

Well folks, Interestingly enough this is the first time I have seen this. So I spent a bit of time reviewing what went on. I can only state facts here....

Order placed Nov 2 on Friday (after we had finished work for the day)

Email on Nov 5th at 1.51 pm on Monday DEMANDING a refund

Folks...We work four days each week. At this point it time, the next working day after this order was placed Monday at 5pm. This order was placed...complained about and a refund demanded before we ever saw it. Before I had a chance to respond to the emails (as I was trying to see what upset CaptainCook so badly) the Paypal dispute was filed and I promptly refunded his money no questions asked. I feel like I was set up here...and unfairly hounded over an order I never even had the chance to process.

Please notice that I will take my lumps when I screw up...but we did nothing out of the normal here. NOW....this is 100% NOT the same as the issues we had earlier this year. In fact, I changed my order acknowledgement emails based on this one issue. Yes, we still have challenges as we grow I will never deny that. Also, unlike Ray Wu we are not a full time business so it take us a bit longer.

Now, I do not make things like this personal so the name calling in general is just uncalled for....but that just my opinion

Before this delves into something of a public argument I'm going to lock the thread.

If you need to know the rest of the story before making a purchase or just want to make your own informed decision about what went on, then you are strongly encouraged to contact both parties to the transaction. I'm sure both parties would be happy to share their side of the story with you via PM, Email or Phone.