Light-O-Rama Forums

RGB Pixel Utility

Vfere863

Hi All,

Here is an initial look at a utility I am writing. It allows users to create different RGB Smart Pixel props that can then be loaded into the LOR Visualizer. I have incorporated some of Sean Meighan's Nutcracker effects to give the user an idea of what the prop will look like.

If you get some time watch the video from the link and let me know what you think. The video may lag a bit but the system does run the animation smoothly.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3t12sy3vuzplrfa/RGB_DEMO_1.swf

Victor

Edited by Vfere863
  • Like 1

I see it has the tree and arch capability.  Is the intent to also be able create strings of RGB Pixels to be imported into LOR Vis?  What about polygons so you could create roof lines and windows?  Looks hopeful from what I saw in the video.

I have intensions on adding more Prop types like what you mentioned. At this point I am making sure all the effects, file I/O, and other stuff is solid.

I liked what I saw so far ..so that means we won't have to draw the stuff in visualizer using your utility?

Wow that looks great, the user interface looks easy to understand. Obviously a lot of thought and effort went into this, nice job. Need someone to test?

Hi,

I appreciate the feedback, Thanks.

I have been working on the system and I have added some more props as well as some new effects. I am including a link to show these new features. I am getting ready to release this initial version within the next couple of weeks. Still have some animation and options issues to work thru. Anyway take a look when you can and pass along any suggestions or comments.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qzsglecr5eu8eek/RGB_Demo_2.swf

Victor

Can you show us how the "export to Visualizer" works? Since I'm finalizing my layout right now and using tons of pixels, it'd be great to use that feature instead of having to draw the RGB props by hand.

Hi All,

I have put together a quick video to illustration how the RGB Smart Pixel System saves .LPF files. The video takes an existing mega tree model and shows how to save it as a single prop and multiple props.

A brief explanation, a single prop file would take the full model and save it to the .LPF file. Now with that said there is a limit on the Visualizer that only allows one prop file to have a maximum of 64 fixtures.

With the mega tree model I saved that limit is hit. The Visualizer allows the importing of the prop but once you pull that in you only can move it and size it. If you bring it into an existing layout then you will not be able to edit that layout any more. If you try to edit the prop in the dialogs the Visualizer hangs and drops out. Now if you prop is under the 64 fixture limit then you will not experience this issue.

For the reasons above is why I created the multiple saving of a prop. This method takes the prop and breaks it down into 64 fixture segments. The drawback here is you have to import the props one at a time and re-construct the look of the prop. A bit of a pain but I think it beats trying to define all the properties of you models for channels on out.

My next task will be to write the model to a .LEE file directly. This will save a step and maybe I can position the individual props in there correct order. We will have to see.

https: //www.dropbox.com/s/6zbuy7uxpoe0dcc/RGB_Demo3.swf

Anyway, Thanks for the interest.

Victor

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

Well I was finally able to re-work the system in a different environment. Sorry about the delay. Anyway I am including a new demo of the Smart Pixel System. This demo outlines the changes to the system plus exposes some new functionality. The actual system will be available by the end of the week for use.

If you get a chance take a look and let me know what you think. If anything major pops out from the demo please let me know.

Once again thanks for all your help and look for the next post which should be the system itself.

http:// db.tt/fzh8yKTw

Thanks,

Victor

NOTE: Remove the space from the link so it will run ;=)

• Like 1

Hi Everyone,

As promised here is the first installment of the Smart Pixel System. As I mentioned in the last demo the install for the system is just a basic install. I am working on adding in the links outlined below so the users will not have do the work of making sure their system has the necessary framework files installed.

Another item I am working on is adding an icon on the desktop. Right now the install will only create in All Programs a CsdII\Rgb System entry. To run the system navigate there and click the link and the system should kick off. You can also create a shortcut for the system and place it on your desktop.

The instructions on how to use this version of the system are contained in the previous demos. The links for these can be found in the previous threads.

Anyway follow the instructions below to get this version of the system installed.

If you have any issues or problems please feel free to post here at the forum or send me a mail and I will address anything reported as soon as possible.

Thanks and Enjoy!
Victor

Download Link for SlimDX

Run the link provided below. Once there under the End User Runtime section select the .NET 4.0 x86 Download link.
When prompted Run the download and this will install the necessary runtimes for the Smart Pixel System.

http:// slimdx.org/download.php

Download Link for .NET Framework 4.0 Full

Run the link provided below. Once there click the download button and run the installer

http:// www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17718

Once these steps are complete you system should be able to run the Smart Pixel System. 

https:// www.dropbox.com/s/ww6uq7j5tbs97ne/SpsSetup.msi

NOTE: Please remove the spaces after the // to run the link in the address bar.

Edited by Vfere863
  • Like 1

Just a  question, where was this utility about a month ago when I started making a mega with rgb pixels? 3 weeks worth of work cut down to 8 minutes. What am I gonna do with my time now? :D  Actually, this is an AWESOME utility, like I said 8 minutes for a 600 pixel tree, WOW. There is only one problem I can see with it, and that is the size of the prop file. I think it's going to get a holy crud from DevMike because of the size. It may cause the system to crash? I haven't been able to test the prop yet, I was just able to make it. (I'm on my netbook and the battery is about dead, so I will try later). But damn good job on this utility, and Thank you,

Bill

Hi Bill,

Appreciate the response. As far as the size, yes my tree is 504 pixels and I can bring it into a .LEE file. But once I try to edit anything in there or try to bring up the props dialog the system hangs. This unfortunately is a limitation of the Visualizer. That is the reason for the Save Multiple button. It will break down the model into separate files but then the task becomes pull each file into the Visualizer and re-position to look like what the model looks like.

What I did was create a single and a multiple. I use the multiple in Super Star to sequence and I use the single as the last prop loaded in my scene. When I move in the sequence and run the visualizer I am able to see the results of my work.

I am hoping that LOR removes these limitations in the future.

Thanks again,

Victor

Edited by Vfere863

Vfere863,

Absolutely an awesome utility you have here. I downloaded it yesterday and built a 800 Pixel PixTree this morning in about 30 minutes. All of the pixels lined up except 2. Channels went in just like I had them set up in SE, and it imported into Superstar as it should. If the “Max Fixture Count” goes up in the Visualizer, this will be a must have program.

I’m not a software guy, by any means, so this is purely speculative, and don’t even know if it’s possible:

If there was a way to create, say a 50 pixel string, and instead of 50 fixtures, it be 1 fixture. That way, the ones of us who are using the CCR utility for the visualizer, and then copy/paste once the sequence is polished up and finished, (which is a lot of copy/paste by the way), That would be the bomb.

THANK YOU for your work on this and letting us have it. It is a very nice piece of work and a very user friendly program. Keep up the good work.

Ron

Great idea Ron. As I add more features into the system I will look at the possibility of including your suggestion. Thanks for the response.

Victor

• 1 month later...