Light-O-Rama Forums

Where to buy DANGLE CORDSET

Dtedebear

Looking for a short (3-6 foot) extension with a three hole receptacle on one end (NEMA 5-15R) and bare wire on the other to be used with Light-O-Rama controllers. Want some similiar to the ones sold by LOR but a little longer. Any ideas where to buy?

Thanks,
Dan

Attached files 195130=10894-CORDSET.gif

I haven't search for these for over two years, but when I did, I could not find a better price than what Light-O-Rama offered.

Also this vendor has complete extension cords in various lenghts, just cut the male plugs off.

A three foot 16 AWG cord in qty 16 is only 78 cents each

A six foot 16 AWG cord in qty 16 is only $ 1.25 each.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10228

JBullard wrote:

Also this vendor has complete extension cords in various lenghts, just cut the male plugs off.

A three foot 16 AWG cord in qty 16 is only 78 cents each

A six foot 16 AWG cord in qty 16 is only $ 1.25 each.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10228

That is a great deal.... Would like to know where they get them from.

THANKS John, I should have thought of MonoPrice. They are great for all kinds of electronic gear and cables. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks again, :)

bisquit476 wrote:

Just make sure to scroll down to the power extension cords section at the bottom of the page, the ones at the top are for connecting to the back of a computer.

Thanks for the advice on the cords. I missed that and would be sad if 50 computer power cords showed up instead of extension cords.

This should be them.. 2' long, 16gauge..

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10228&cs_id=1022802&p_id=5297&seq=1&format=2

in quantities of 16, it's .87/ea.

the 3' long is $1.04/ea for 16 of them:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10228&cs_id=1022802&p_id=5298&seq=1&format=2

these easily beat the 2' long, $30 set from LOR but you'll have to get the spade lugs, unless you have the terminal strip on your boards. Shipping to Phoenix (my example) is $6.24, so even at $22.88 TTL, still looks like $18 less than LOR's set, shipped. Getting the 6' closes the cost gap to $31.36 shipped to Phoenix (example), but LOR doesn't have a 6' set..

• 2 weeks later...

Super Duper deal. Just received 50 three foot 16awg extension cords plus a bunch of other stuff from MonoPrice via UPS. Cords were under a buck and shipping for the 17 lb box was $7.60 to Olympia, WA. Cords are made in China (what isn't these days) and are UL Listed - seem to be of good quality.

I am completely satisfied with this purchase.

• 1 month later...

Hi Dan

For the dangles that feed the lights I go to Goodwill, Salvation Armyand used computer stores and buy the cords that plug into the back of the computer. They are 18 AWG. Just cut off the male end, strip them back about 8 inches and then hook them up

Mike Manzara wrote:

Hi Dan

For the dangles that feed the lights I go to Goodwill, Salvation Armyand used computer stores and buy the cords that plug into the back of the computer. They are 18 AWG. Just cut off the male end, strip them back about 8 inches and then hook them up

if u r buying ones that go into a computer how do you connect the lights to them?

They are a standard electrical cord. You only need the female end to plug lights into. I buy these cords for 50 cents each.

Mike, doesnt make sense to me.. You buy computer cords that have a male end on one end.. fine, but the socket end (that plugs into the power supply) does not accept plugs, so unless you grind down the blades on your light sets, it cant be done..

bhays wrote:

Lowes seems to have dropped the price on 6 foot 16 awg cords to 77 cents. It doesn't look to be a sale, but available every day. woot.

The ones at Lowes are two wire indoor extension cords but stilll a good buy. I prefer to use the three wire cords with a ground conductor.

Thanks for the info!

Guest wbottomley

Dtedebear wrote:

bhays wrote:
Lowes seems to have dropped the price on 6 foot 16 awg cords to 77 cents.  It doesn't look to be a sale, but available every day.  woot.

The ones at Lowes are two wire indoor extension cords but stilll a good buy.  I prefer to use the three wire cords with a ground conductor.

Thanks for the info!

Uh... Christmas lights don't have a ground.

Most of my controller outputs are spt 1 with a vampire plug attached.

Here's a video of the assembly:

bhays wrote:

Lowes seems to have dropped the price on 6 foot 16 awg cords to 77 cents. It doesn't look to be a sale, but available every day. woot.

That's a great price! In addition to 6' extension cords, I use those cords for two other things: 1) I cut the receptacle end two feet long and use those for controller dangles. 2) I use the remaining 4 ft section with the plug as a power cord for rope light, or as a power cord for the butt half of a set of 100 ct minis that I cut up into 2 50's. Even cheaper than using vampire plugs and zip cord...