Light-O-Rama Forums

Getting a show onto the SD Card

Guest guest

OK, I've got three sequences programmed and I need to get them on the SD card. I can't find any instructions on how to do this. The only instructions I see show how to build the show in the Hardware program and then upload it to the SD Card. I created the show in the "Show Editor" but I see no way to get it from there to the SD Card.

HELP!

July,

For loading you show on the SD card you can only (not show editor) use the hardware utility. I do believe you can use the simple show builder but I have read of mixed results with that method.

Follow the steps that you found in instructions using the hardware utility. Keep in mind that you audio files need to be MP3 128 constant bit rate when using the SD card and MP3 player.

Chuck

Oh brother...you're kidding? The only options in the Hardware Utility are to run the show continuously, or every hour or half hour. I wanted to do every 15 minutes.

cmoore60 wrote:

July,

For loading you show on the SD card you can only (not show editor) use the hardware utility. I do believe you can use the simple show builder but I have read of mixed results with that method.

Follow the steps that you found in instructions using the hardware utility. Keep in mind that you audio files need to be MP3 128 constant bit rate when using the SD card and MP3 player.

Chuck

I just checked. Even in the simple show builder it is every 1/2 hour or hour. No option for 1/4 hour.

Maybe this is something that could be asked for from LOR. I know that does not solve your problem now.

Chuck

But in the "Schedule Editor" you can schedule it for any time you want.

cmoore60 wrote:

I just checked. Even in the simple show builder it is every 1/2 hour or hour. No option for 1/4 hour.

Maybe this is something that could be asked for from LOR. I know that does not solve your problem now.

Chuck

OK, but where does it say that in the documentation, which by the way, I think is horrible. I've never been so confused by manuals in my life.

I have spent this entire day trying to figure out how to get these files on the SD card. I purchased the MP3 Director at the suggestion of Dan. But nowhere does it say that all the software doesn't work with it. LOR provides all these programs to use, but now I'm finding out that only some of them work with the MP3 Director? It doesn't say that in the manual!

This is infuriating.

Now on top of it, I just went out and tested the SD card and it plays the songs, but the lights only flash part of the time. And yes, the mp3 files are the right type.

I have had nothing but trouble since spending $2000 on this stuff with 2 boxes already not working and now this. And now no response from LOR techs since yesterday morning.

july1962 wrote:

But in the "Schedule Editor" you can schedule it for any time you want.

cmoore60 wrote:

Chuck

july1962 wrote:

OK, but where does it say that in the documentation, which by the way, I think is horrible. I've never been so confused by manuals in my life.

I have spent this entire day trying to figure out how to get these files on the SD card. I purchased the MP3 Director at the suggestion of Dan. But nowhere does it say that all the software doesn't work with it. LOR provides all these programs to use, but now I'm finding out that only some of them work with the MP3 Director? It doesn't say that in the manual!

This is infuriating.

Now on top of it, I just went out and tested the SD card and it plays the songs, but the lights only flash part of the time. And yes, the mp3 files are the right type.

I have had nothing but trouble since spending $2000 on this stuff with 2 boxes already not working and now this. And now no response from LOR techs since yesterday morning.

With all due respect, on page 20 of the DC-MP3 manual it states:

[align=left]There are two ways to create an SD card for the DCMP3.[/align]
[align=left]1. Simple Show Builder – this application creates a single, scheduled, non-interactive how. It is simple and intuitive to use.
2. Hardware Utility – this application allows access to the full capabilities of the DC-MP3. Multiple shows with scheduling and interaction are possible.[/align]
[align=left]You are correct that the documentation does not say that you can't use the show builder. However, it clearly states there are two ways to create the show for your MP3 player.[/align]
[align=left]I see where you want to run shows every 15 minutes. A fairly simple work around is to create a 30 minute show, which contains your 15 minute show twice. Yes, you will need to calculate the length of your music and add some animation (or even blank sequences) to fill the gaps, but it is doable.[/align]
[align=left]Re: lights not flashing all of the time. If you haven't done so already, I would strongly recommend running the LOR Verifier utility. This can locate many common errors people make. (I wish they had this last year, would have saved me a lot of time!)[/align]
[align=left]One of the other common causes of communication errors is bad or faulty cable. I apologize for not reading all of your past posts before replying to this one, so I don't know what kind of cable you are using. If the LOR Verifier shows no errors, I would look into the quality of your cabling.[/align]
[align=left]Also, going back to the manual, page 7:[/align]
[align=left]The DC-MP3 is normally powered by the nearest Light O Rama controller or a USB485B PC adapter. Use a 50’ or less CAT5e LAN cable to connect the DC-MP3 to either of these devices. Longer cables may have an unacceptable voltage drop that may cause erratic operation of the DC-MP3.[/align]
[align=left]SD cards must be formatted FAT16 (or just FAT)[/align]
[align=left]SD cards supplied by LOR will already be formatted FAT16 and ready for use. Not all brands of SD cards will work with the DCMP3. Lexar Media and SimpleTech are known to work.[/align]
[align=left]I hope this information is helpful.[/align]
[align=left] [/align]

Don wrote:

With all due respect, on page 20 of the DC-MP3 manual it states:

[align=left]There are two ways to create an SD card for the DCMP3.[/align]
[align=left]1. Simple Show Builder – this application creates a single, scheduled, non-interactive how. It is simple and intuitive to use.
2. Hardware Utility – this application allows access to the full capabilities of the DC-MP3. Multiple shows with scheduling and interaction are possible.[/align]
[align=left]You are correct that the documentation does not say that you can't use the show builder. However, it clearly states there are two ways to create the show for your MP3 player.[/align]
[align=left]I see where you want to run shows every 15 minutes. A fairly simple work around is to create a 30 minute show, which contains your 15 minute show twice. Yes, you will need to calculate the length of your music and add some animation (or even blank sequences) to fill the gaps, but it is doable.[/align]
[align=left]Re: lights not flashing all of the time. If you haven't done so already, I would strongly recommend running the LOR Verifier utility. This can locate many common errors people make. (I wish they had this last year, would have saved me a lot of time!)[/align]
[align=left]One of the other common causes of communication errors is bad or faulty cable. I apologize for not reading all of your past posts before replying to this one, so I don't know what kind of cable you are using. If the LOR Verifier shows no errors, I would look into the quality of your cabling.[/align]
[align=left]Also, going back to the manual, page 7:[/align]
[align=left]The DC-MP3 is normally powered by the nearest Light O Rama controller or a USB485B PC adapter. Use a 50’ or less CAT5e LAN cable to connect the DC-MP3 to either of these devices. Longer cables may have an unacceptable voltage drop that may cause erratic operation of the DC-MP3.[/align]
[align=left]SD cards must be formatted FAT16 (or just FAT)[/align]
[align=left]SD cards supplied by LOR will already be formatted FAT16 and ready for use. Not all brands of SD cards will work with the DCMP3. Lexar Media and SimpleTech are known to work.[/align]
[align=left]I hope this information is helpful.[/align]
[align=left] [/align]

Well, it didn't seem very respectful pointing out things that really don't validate what you're saying.

Yes, I saw where it said the two ways you can build a show on SD card, but that doesn't mean there aren't other ways. LOR has provided several programs with the equipment they sent me and I can't for the life of me figure out why all of it wouldn't work with all the equipment. The MP3 Director was sold to me as a way to play my shows without the use of a computer. However, unless I use your workaround (which thanks btw), I have to use my compute, even though there is LOR software that will accomplish exactly what I want.

As for the rest of your message, all of my equipment is brand spanking new from LOR, units cables and all. So I don't think it's faulty or incorrect cables.

Guest wbottomley

Please go back and read the manual again. Tomorrow a pop quiz will be given and those that can't pass, will have to surrender their equipment. If you surrender your equipment, a refund will not be given.

• Like 1

Mountainwxman wrote:

Please go back and read the manual again. Tomorrow a pop quiz will be given and those that can't pass, will have to surrender their equipment. If you surrender your equipment, a refund will not be given.

Who gets to keep the surrendered equipment?

Currently there is no way to have a show run automatically every 15 minutes with the DC-MP3. One could set things so it so that it appears to run every 15 minutes. To do so you would need to build a filler sequence of the correct length.

Put in you musical sequences the filler sequence that is the correct length to fill it out to 15 minutes, then repeat the musical sequences... Then schedule it to run every 1/2 hour. So lets say that you have two musical sequences (M1 and M2) that have a total play time of 6min 30 seconds... You would create a filler sequence (F1) that has length: 8min 30 seconds. You would then build a show with: M1, M2, F1, M1, M2 and schedule that show to run every 1/2 hour.

As far as the integration level of the DC-MP3 with the software... It would be nice to have the DC-MP3 endowed with all the capabilities of a PC. That however is not the case. There are tools that allow the user to setup shows and those capabilities are documented in the users manual. I believe that we support any and all features documented but only those features that are documented.

Constructive criticism of any LOR product or document is welcome.

Well Dan...as I've discussed with you before, I have found the manuals to be very un-newbie friendly. I'm also at a disadvantage coming from the easy world of Macintosh. So dealing with a PC alone is enough to pull my hair out! Then on top of that, trying to decipher these manuals....yikes.

I realize a lot of people here are techno-savvy. While I'm good at doing stuff with instruction, I can't just look at something and figure it out or look at a term and know what they mean. These manuals seem to have been written for people who already have a working knowledge of electronics and computer ins and outs.

I'm not sure I know what you mean about the MP3 having all the capabilities of a computer. You have software included with the LOR that writes the information the MP3 needs. As it stands now, the Hardware utility writes a show and how often it plays. But you also include software like the schedule utility that allows for (at least the computer version) to be run at any interval one needs. Why wouldn't that program be able to write the same show the Hardware utititly writes and put it on the SD card? If the Hardware utility can tell it every 1/2 hour, why couldn't the schedule utility tell it every 15 minutes, or 5 minutes or 55 minutes? It would appear to this novice, that all you need is a way to get the information from ANY of the LOR utilities to the SD card. Once a program is written, it's written, no? One doesn't need the computer anymore to tell it 15 minutes or 1/2 hour.

It seems you'd only need the computer in this case to write the "show." Once the "show is written" the SD card runs it. That's what it does through the hardware utility, just with less options.

As I said before, I'd love to help you put together a manual from a true newbie point of view. As time goes on, this product is going to get more and more popular. I've already had people in my neighborhood wowing over it just while I'm programming the lights. Your customers aren't always going to be the most knowledgeable people and you have to have documentation that caters to those who need everything spelled out. With LOTS of pictures. Like I told you, some of the pictures in the manuals don't even match the equipment that I purchased.

And NOWHERE does it state that I can't use ANY of the programs with the MP3 Director. I spent a bulk of yesterday sifting through the manuals and websites trying to figure out how to get 15 minutes onto the SD card. This after spending one whole day trying to figure out why one of my LORs had every channel flickering. I've wasted a lot of my Halloween prep time on things that should have been in the manuals.

LightORamaDan wrote:

Currently there is no way to have a show run automatically every 15 minutes with the DC-MP3. One could set things so it so that it appears to run every 15 minutes. To do so you would need to build a filler sequence of the correct length.

Put in you musical sequences the filler sequence that is the correct length to fill it out to 15 minutes, then repeat the musical sequences... Then schedule it to run every 1/2 hour. So lets say that you have two musical sequences (M1 and M2) that have a total play time of 6min 30 seconds... You would create a filler sequence (F1) that has length: 8min 30 seconds. You would then build a show with: M1, M2, F1, M1, M2 and schedule that show to run every 1/2 hour.

As far as the integration level of the DC-MP3 with the software... It would be nice to have the DC-MP3 endowed with all the capabilities of a PC. That however is not the case. There are tools that allow the user to setup shows and those capabilitiesare documented in the users manual. I believe that we support any and all features documented but only those features that are documented.

Constructive criticism of any LOR product or document is welcome.

july1962 wrote:

Well Dan...as I've discussed with you before, I have found the manuals to be very un-newbie friendly. I'm also at a disadvantage coming from the easy world of Macintosh. So dealing with a PC alone is enough to pull my hair out! Then on top of that, trying to decipher these manuals....yikes.

I realize a lot of people here are techno-savvy. While I'm good at doing stuff with instruction, I can't just look at something and figure it out or look at a term and know what they mean. These manuals seem to have been written for people who already have a working knowledge of electronics and computer ins and outs.

I'm not sure I know what you mean about the MP3 having all the capabilities of a computer. You have software included with the LOR that writes the information the MP3 needs. As it stands now, the Hardware utility writes a show and how often it plays. But you also include software like the schedule utility that allows for (at least the computer version) to be run at any interval one needs. Why wouldn't that program be able to write the same show the Hardware utititly writes and put it on the SD card? If the Hardware utility can tell it every 1/2 hour, why couldn't the schedule utility tell it every 15 minutes, or 5 minutes or 55 minutes? It would appear to this novice, that all you need is a way to get the information from ANY of the LOR utilities to the SD card. Once a program is written, it's written, no? One doesn't need the computer anymore to tell it 15 minutes or 1/2 hour.

It seems you'd only need the computer in this case to write the "show." Once the "show is written" the SD card runs it. That's what it does through the hardware utility, just with less options.

As I said before, I'd love to help you put together a manual from a true newbie point of view. As time goes on, this product is going to get more and more popular. I've already had people in my neighborhood wowing over it just while I'm programming the lights. Your customers aren't always going to be the most knowledgeable people and you have to have documentation that caters to those who need everything spelled out. With LOTS of pictures. Like I told you, some of the pictures in the manuals don't even match the equipment that I purchased.

And NOWHERE does it state that I can't use ANY of the programs with the MP3 Director. I spent a bulk of yesterday sifting through the manuals and websites trying to figure out how to get 15 minutes onto the SD card. This after spending one whole day trying to figure out why one of my LORs had every channel flickering. I've wasted a lot of my Halloween prep time on things that should have been in the manuals.

Thanks for the feedback. We have plans to review the documentation and we will make every attempt to simplify the process. That of course does not help today.

As far as what is supported and what is not suppored by the DC-MP3... I wish it was as easy as just putting something on the SD card and the DC-MP3 would know what to do but that is not the way it is. The DC-MP3 has specific capabilies and those capabilies are reflected in the MP3 tab in the Hardware Utility. For example, to run a show (continusly, 1/2 hour, hourly) is represented by the numbers 0,1 and 2 to the DC-MP3... If the DC-MP3 saw a 3 it would not know what to do.

Dan

LightORamaDan wrote:

Thanks for the feedback. We have plans to review the documentation and we will make every attempt to simplify the process. That of course does not help today.

As far as what is supported and what is not suppored by the DC-MP3... I wish it was as easy as just putting something on the SD card and the DC-MP3 would know what to do but that is not the way it is. The DC-MP3 has specific capabilies and those capabilies are reflected in the MP3 tab in the Hardware Utility. For example, to run a show (continusly, 1/2 hour, hourly) is represented by the numbers 0,1 and 2 to the DC-MP3... If the DC-MP3 saw a 3 it would not know what to do.

Dan

I see. Well that's unfortunate. I know nothing about the hardware, so it would be foolish for me to tell you how to fix it. But maybe a question. If you can make the MP3 see a 0, 1 and 2, can't you make it see other numbers? I would have thought your goal with that unit would have been to have it run whatever show your software produces, just via an sd card. If I create a 5 minute show, I certainly don't want it running continuously over and over, nor would I want 25 minutes between shows. I know you've given me a workaround for this, but when you're paying this much for equipment like this, I shouldn't have to do workarounds. I've been wanting a LOR for years now and finally broke down (sold some stuff on ebay) and made the purchase. To be honest, it's been frustrating and disappointing ever since. While I'm thrilled to be able to produce the shows for my neighborhood (and my disabled sister that I care for), this has not been a fun process for me, between the broken units and the difficult learning curve.

I also think it's unfortunate that another company has a better graphical interface to see the shows than you do.

I don't mean to bitch continuously...I applaud you for all the work you have done and for your great customer service. It doesn't sound like you want my help on the "newbie" manual, so I'll drop it.

july1962 wrote:

If I create a 5 minute show, I certainly don't want it running continuously over and over, nor would I want 25 minutes between shows.

Just to play devil's advocate, if you don't want it to repeat continuously, nor do you want 25 minutes between shows ....

What do you want there?

Don wrote:

Just to play devil's advocate, if you don't want it to repeat continuously, nor do you want 25 minutes between shows ....

What do you want there?
I currently have just under 6 minutes of show that I would like to repeat at each 15 minutes on the hour. So I'd like to start it at 7 and have it repeat at 7:15, 7:30, 7:45, etc. With the schedule utility I can do that. But the output cannot be put on the SD card.

july1962 wrote:

I currently have just under 6 minutes of show that I would like to repeat at each 15 minutes on the hour. So I'd like to start it at 7 and have it repeat at 7:15, 7:30, 7:45, etc. With the schedule utility I can do that. But the output cannot be put on the SD card.

And what would you like to have happen in the 9 minutes that is unaccounted for?

Don wrote:

And what would you like to have happen in the 9 minutes that is unaccounted for?
That depends. Before Halloween (the weeks leading up), I want animation, which I can do, but I have to skew the animation to an exact time in order for the time to fall on the 15 minute increments. Halloween night, I want nothing in between because I have a haunt in my yard that works independently of the light show. I'd also like to be able to ad pauses between each sequence, which I cannot do unless I tweak each sequence at the end.

Regardless of what I want right now, I'd like the ability to do whatever show I can do with the computer attached, with the MP3/SD card on its own.

The advertising for the MP3 Show Director says: "Load a completed show on to an SD memory card and plug the card into the LOR Show-in-a-Box controller."

But you can't do that completely, unless you use the computer instead. The scheduling/show software included with my equipment does not work with the Show Director, so you can't just take the shows they produce ("a completed show") and put them on an SD card as the ad says. You have to use the hardware utility to create a show which then in turns loads into the SD card. But that show is limited in comparison to what the other software can do.