Light-O-Rama Forums

Need Troubleshooting Advice Pixcon16 DMX Network

beckntrav

Hey all, 

I'm using the same setup as last year, same sequences, etc.  All Pixcon16 boards on E1.31 network.  I upgraded to S6 and updated all pixcon firmware this year.  This year I have 3 windows not lighting up. Each window not working is a separate universe (25,26,27) and each on a separate channel. Two are on one board and one on another.  

Here's what I've tested.

When I run the test on the board, those windows light up as expected. 

When I check the universe/channel assignments on the Pixcon card configuration, they are assigned properly.

When I click test from within the Pixcon16 card configuration, they light up.  Then when I shut off the test, they begin to work properly and then quit after a few minutes

I uninstalled S6 and went back to S5 like last year. Those same 3 windows don't work.  

It's got to be a network issue but I am running out of ideas to debug. The only real wildcard is the change to S6.  Any recommendations?

Let's see, you're in S6, so check the Networks on the Control Panel and make sure the IP addresses and Universes are correct.  Does those networks show a green check mark or a red X?

Is there any debugging tool that would show duplicated universes or network conflicts?  I've been through the channel/universe settings a dozen times and don't see the problem.  

My next test would be to reassign these 3 channels to a new universes in the sequences and controllers.

1 hour ago, beckntrav said:

Is there any debugging tool that would show duplicated universes or network conflicts?

The Preview Editor will show any conflicts.

Then check the Networks section on the Control Panel.

If you know what you're doing with it, WireShark will analyze the E1.31 data stream.  But WireShark is not a tool that you just install and use.  There is a large learning curve to using it and more important, knowing what it is telling you.

1 hour ago, beckntrav said:

My next test would be to reassign these 3 channels to a new universes in the sequences and controllers.

Note that it appears you are referring to an output port of the Pixcon 16 as a "channel".  Terminology here, but it's not a "channel".  Call it an "output" or "port" or "output port".  There are many channels on each output port of a pixel controller.  Referring to an output of a pixel controller as a channel only causes confusion.