Light-O-Rama Forums

Motion Effect Generator - Picture issue

MattJ

Hi Gurus

I'm running 6.2.18 PRO and am having an issue with Motion Effect Generator. 

I'm at the point where I am loading up sequences from last year that don't (or at least shouldn't) require any edits to run this year. I am pretty sure I used S6 last year but not sure which dot release, so I was expecting these to just load up and have no issues.

The issue I have is where I am using a picture to reveal a colored background. ME Generator seems to now be doing some smoothing or something on the image as it builds the effect.

If you look at the attached screenshot, I am expecting the pixels of the cross on the right (the source) to be identical to the cross in the middle (the final effect). It used to be, and now it isn't and I don't know why. :)

I have tried multiple image files (cross, bell, star) and I get the same smoothing on the final effect. I have tried creating new sequences in 6.2.18 but have the same issue as ones created in earlier versions. 

The prop is a 32 x 32 matrix - not sure that matters at this point. 

Any thoughts?

Cheers MattJ

meg.png

I assume your cross image is not 32x32 but something bigger?

If bigger, you could try scaling it down in another app (I use Paint .Net) to be exactly 32x32. You may need to try multiple scaling algorithm options. My hunch is one of those algorithms will make the cross look like it did before and another will match what is happening now.

So I think you’re right about the smoothing being different, which I think comes down a different scaling algorithm is being used. But all that could be bypassed if you scale that cross yourself.

I think the picture motion effect generator has changed over the last few releases to correct a few bugs in it, If I was looking to make this effect of a cross on any matrix I would just add a custom Motion effect row in the Matrix prop definition of that same cross. This would allow you to use any motion effect you wanted and it would only display within the cross with out having to use the Picture file. In the Matrix prop definition add a motion effect row and make it custom and then highlight the little dots on the display to make a cross. the little dots are each pixel in the matrix. This ME row opens up a multitude of possible effects for the cross. I have 2 matrix props and each have over 70 Custom motion effect  rows that are all kinds of characters from singing trees and Santa Clause to musical instruments. I like your cross Idea and I will be adding that ME row to both matrix in my display. Thank you 

Thanks both!

@Jeremiah Ackermann - This has worked for a few of my images but not this cross - even scaling down to 32x32, I can't get the same cross any more. What I feel is happening is this: if any part of my imported picture spreads into an adjacent pixel, in the name of smoothing, LOR sets the intensity of that pixel above zero. then, when I do a "Right Reveals Left" effect it reveals the block of color on the left for any non-zero pixel. It's definitely a function of the scaling then then reveal. Appreciate the advice for sure.

@Box on Rails - Also yes! :) I have gone down this route with many of my images too. My issue here is that makes it super easy to do effects "in" the image (ripples, waves, color wash etc.), but not effects with  the image (spin, zoom, etc.) I think I can make this one work with a special ME row so, yep, time to add it, but it will leave me with one zoom effect leading in to this cross sequence to solve for. I guess I'm going to have to get a bit better with SuperStar or something. 😀

Thanks again for the advice.

• Like 1

@MattJ, would you mind sharing the 32x32 cross image you made? Out of curiosity, I feel like trying a few things to see if it would help. I feel the cross image does have semi-transparent pixels around the edges. Is that something you are wanting to smooth the edges or you want fully on/off? 

Also have you tried out the new sketch effect at all yet? I think some of what is being done here could be done with the sketch effect. I haven’t used it much, but in theory it could be well suited for some of this. Especially if you ever made that matrix larger in the future, the graphics should scale better than an image.

• Like 1

@Jeremiah Ackermann Here you go.... Please don't waste too much time on it on my account. I have recreated with motion effects.

I will start playing with sketch through. Just got a few more props to get set up before going live first!

Thanks again

cross_yellow2_32x32.png

• Like 1

On 11/21/2023 at 10:56 PM, MattJ said:

Here you go.... Please don't waste too much time on it on my account. I have recreated with motion effects.

I will start playing with sketch through. Just got a few more props to get set up before going live first!

I took a look at your cross image, its not a 32x32 image, its 21x32. That is why you are getting some blending on the edges because it got scaled to fit into 32x32 matrix or 8x8 (based on the prop name shown in the motion effect generator window you gave above).

Attached is a new 32x32 cross image and one that I scaled to be 32x32. Notice the blending in the scaled image due to it being stretched horizontally.

image.png.c716dbcae7e582aadcd8b2631ece9780.png

32x32 Scaled.png

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for taking the time @Jeremiah Ackermann - this still does not work for me but it's not something that you have done..... It's not you, it's me! :)

My matrix is a 32 x 32 matrix (the 8x8 is 8 foot by 8 foot) but I've got it defined as a custom prop with custom pixel placement on a 64 x 64 grid.... and that's messing stuff up.

Once I get through this season I think I need to redefine the prop in a better way. 

Again. Thanks for the help