Light-O-Rama Forums

No response when adding a 2nd controller using Mini Director - Help!

Erv8097

I've been using a Residential 16 channel controller for the past few years for a Halloween display with no problems.  Recently I acquired 2 additional controllers  - older units but they both work when tested.   The ID's for the two additional until were already "02" and "03" and both work when testing in the HU panel.   I created a new preview, added 16 new props (all single light strings) and numbered them 02 1-16.  Saved all my old sequences as new with the new preview the props showed fine in preview.  Created all new shows and then added them to an SD card to use with my 3rd Gen Director.   Ran the show tonight and all the Unit 1 Channels work fine - no response from any of the Unit 2 channels.   I took Controller #3 and changed the ID to 02, and swapped the controllers, same thing.   No conflicts or errors pop up in the preview so I'm at a bit of a loss here.   This is all old school - no rbg, pixels etc.  Running 6.2 software.   Any suggestions?  Retested both of the controllers and they work fine so it has to be configuration somewhere?  Thanks for your help!  

Screenshot 2023-10-22 202944.png

Gen2  AC controllers can't do Enhanced mode  (HU does not use that either) and are speed limited to 115K

So in closing when setting up the Director > set the Network to 115K - Non Enhanced

And your good to go with all 3 AC Controllers

Edited by Jimehc

Sorry - I'm a bit confused -when I created my SD card for the Mini Director- it was as follows image.png.0dc780840ccae3ba1b4666a069ee59ab.png

When I created my new Preview, I didn't "add a controller" - I just added the new props and assigned the associated channels (02 1-16) is that where i may have messed up?   Thanks much for your help! 

4 hours ago, Erv8097 said:

Sorry - I'm a bit confused -when I created my SD card for the Mini Director- it was as follows image.png.0dc780840ccae3ba1b4666a069ee59ab.png

When I created my new Preview, I didn't "add a controller" - I just added the new props and assigned the associated channels (02 1-16) is that where i may have messed up?   Thanks much for your help! 

Sounds like it.  ALL controllers MUST be added to your sequences, otherwise the SE sees no physical controller, just added channels, and will do nothing without adding your controllers.

If all you did was just add channels manually and label them, the sequencer has no idea those controllers even exist.  And this is more than likely why they are not working when you write your show to the SD card.

Add those controllers to get everything working, but you may have to go through and modify those new channels with the controller info.  You'll need to do this manually on every new channel you added to match it to the correct controller.

Btw: older Gen 1 (any Pre Gen3) controllers can use a maximum speed of 115.4K, that's what I set my older AC controllers at on my N4-G4 Director, should work the same on your mini Director.

Edited by Orville

In your "Preview" click the "String Summary" tab and Post a Picture..

As adding Props with Assigned Network and Channel (is Fine) - you do not need to use "Add Controller"

Also beginning to wonder if a network port on Controller 1 is damaged.... With all controllers connected to the network (Daisy Chained) verify that each controller has a Solid Status Light...

It appears controller 1 does - but the other controller(s) do not...  No Communication passed to other controller

Edited by Jimehc

If you want a test sequence let me know. I have one that goes through Controllers 1-5 channel by channel that will check each channel one at a time as well as all on and all off that will work from a SD card on the mini director. That will at least test your HW and connections.

@dgander a test sequence would be most welcome - I'm planning on adding another controller in the future (if I can get over this hump!)

@Jimehc - I've already screwed up my preview - didn't save as a new one and added a controller.  So I've got some editing to do now...sigh.    I did swap ports on the #1 controller to make sure it wasn't just a bad port.  it worked either way and there is a sold light on controller #2.  

Would this possibly be my problem - I know I chose product generation 3 for the current SD card.  I've made a sample card and am doing this to test.  Thanks for your help and patience! 

image.png.4466891ecaee8dba5540073613c7fcfa.png

On 9/25/2023 at 11:37 PM, fdeleon1970 said:

I would love to add this to my show. Just got my first pixie controller. 

Fdeleon1970@gmail.com 

Thanks for sharing!

I  meant Controllers 1-4 & 6. 

You may be mixing things up. 

A Gen2 controller can't be on a enhanced network. It must be on a different PORT (without that set)

OTOH The Pixie does best on Enhanced (important when there are lots of nodes or rapid changes. Certain motion effects require enhanced)

@dgander Thank you!

Thanks all for your help - issue is resolved.  Solution was redoing the preview.  Adding a controller and then the associated 16 props.  I changed the name on the old props slightly and then deleted them after the new props under "Unit 2" were added.  I had to update each sequence (match by name) and all is good now.  Thank you!