Light-O-Rama Forums

BTF LED Strips - WS2815 - Pixe16

flomas

Howdy!

I've read other posts from a year or older, stating these will not work with a Pixie16 board and these lights are not listed on the (RGB Integrated Circuit) section in the manual. I was able to get the whole strip to light up by choosing WS2811 (800 Khz) and I can run the RGBW tests and all the the pixels are responsive. 

This is a default jumpers out of the box config on the board: Pixie16 Ver 1.04.  There's a few of the colors that are backwards or crossed it seems. If I choose Green the strip fires Red, same if I choose Red it fires Green across the whole strip.

Same with Purple, it shows up as Teal, choosing Teal fires the strip purple. 

Blue, White & Yellow are fine when choosing those colors in the Hardware Utility. 

Does anyone think using these strips with this board would be a problem, being that it's "Not Supported"
Why are some of the colors not matching when choosing in the HW Utility, is that the limitation of these strips not being listed in the (RGB Integrated Circuit) section of the manual for the P16?

My plan is to outline my roofline with these strips

I know everyone is busy this time of year. Happy show planning to all 🎃🎄

It's not easy being Green 🙂

Thank you

-=FlomaS=-

Edited by flomas

If they actually work using the ws2811 then things should be fine, you just need to go into the pixie set up and change the color order. It sounds like you have a GRB order.

• Like 1

Have you ever noticed when configuring your smart pixel controller hardware how it only wants to know about the pixel communications protocol (WS2801, WS2811, TM1802, etc.)?

Have you ever noticed when when defining your Sequencer Preview pixel prop it only really cares about the starting pixel address and the total number of pixels?

Neither the hardware or software know if we use square, bullet, ribbon or seed pixels.

A megatree built with pixel ribbons or a megatree built with seed pixels look very different during the day but very similar at night.  Lucky for us the motion effects in the sequencing grid are identical.

Thank goodness when all this was bloody cutting edge last decade the creators kept the fundamentals separated.

I can't wait to see what comes next!

4 hours ago, Mr. P said:

If they actually work using the ws2811 then things should be fine, you just need to go into the pixie set up and change the color order. It sounds like you have a GRB order.

Adding to that Army guys post. 😛

On the pixie config form, use the Advanced button and you can do color order by port

Lucky for me the protocols are similar to strips I have and choosing WS2811 worked. In the future before I purchase new items, I'll be checking what's supported prior 😁

Choosing the GRB fixed the firing order for my strips. They are lighting to the colors I choose and are working prefect now, time to start soldering and running wires.

Thank you for the responses!

-=FlomaS=-

Edited by flomas

• 1 month later...

Howdy!

Running behind on getting this done, but I still have hope. I'm having an issue with one of the strips are freaking out. I've swapped out the connectors, re-soldered the strips and swapped out the strips. It follows no matter what port I plug into on the Pixie16

Strip not functioning properly

These are WS2815 choosing WS2811 (800 Khz) in the HW Utility.  I can run the RGBW tests and all the the pixels are responsive on all the strips except this one.

Thanks!

Edited by flomas

If the Issue follows the ribbon strip - it is the ribbon strip that is the issue - replace the ribbon strip with a known good one.

Thanks for the response. So, here's the thing, I've swapped strips here on the bench and no matter which strip I plug into that port/wire it freaks out, maybe I need to change out the wire. 

3 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

I personally don't have a Pixie16 but does the Pixie support WS2815 IC pixels? I don't see them included in the pixel compatible list.

Officially it does not, but I was able to get them to function by choosing choosing WS2811 (800 Khz) in the HW Utility. maybe I'm just SOL and will need to bite the bullet and get supported strips to be certain .. :(

Edited by flomas

2 minutes ago, flomas said:

Officially it does not, but I was able to get them to function by choosing choosing WS2811 (800 Khz) in the HW Utility. maybe I'm just SOL and will need to bite the bullet and get supported strips to be certain .. :(

Don't toss them. LOR did say RGBW would get supported.

But if all but 1 of the same type IS working, then you have a bad string (or a too long cable). How long is you cable for that string?

9 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Don't toss them. LOR did say RGBW would get supported.

But if all but 1 of the same type IS working, then you have a bad string (or a too long cable). How long is you cable for that string?

cable on that is 108' I still had two more runs, but I ran out of cable... one more of 130' and another for 115' all the other cables I have are under 90' that one is the longest I have ..I do have another Pixie16, I guess I can split them and link up with ethernet cable. I am running 2 500W power supplies, 500w for each bank

Edited by flomas

It has to be what you stated Ducks, wire length ..... no matter what strip I plug into that 108' cable it acts the same way.

It's following the cable, any strip I swap out with that cable acts the same way.

Edited by flomas

1 minute ago, Jimehc said:

Ahhh the plot thickens, as more info comes out in regards to this issue

Bummed...  :(

So can I run two Pixie 16's linked together, one for the front of the house and one for the back of the house?? I have a total of 9 strips I'm going to use. I can use 5 on one and 4 on the other..

The large Pixie16 controllers are good for things like pixel trees or a matrix, things that have many pixels in a small space. If you are running props spread out over distances then you are better off with several smaller controllers like Pixie4 so you can place controllers closer to the props.

Five years ago you couldn't have runs longer then 15', today's runs can be longer but over 100' is really pushing it.

Lesson learned. I appreciate all the responses, I'll have to look into getting those Pixie4 and start over again, at least I have what I need for doing Pixel trees next year :), now I can justify spending more money, haha!!

But honey, it's not compatible.... :p

Thank you

2 enemies

Voltage drop. You want at leat 10.4 V at the END of the string . Fatter wire (Larger Gauge)

Data Regen. Null pixels do that task keeping square wave squarish

3 minutes ago, flomas said:

Lesson learned. I appreciate all the responses, I'll have to look into getting those Pixie4 and start over again, at least I have what I need for doing Pixel trees next year :), now I can justify spending more money, haha!!

But honey, it's not compatible.... :p

Thank you

If you are still on S4 the relocation of the port ID is easy. Open the (each)sequence. Tools Channel configuration: At the bottom there is a button for controller  (sorry, my S4 PC is at another location)

All you have to do is select the old ID (remember, pixies are ID per port). You will see something like A23 in the existing column. Select that: Now you can just change the Network or the ID.

Caution: Do not create a duplicate Network.ID there is no cross check. Do not shuffle ports in a single SE session.  🥺Exit SE before reusing an older ID