Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixie 16 Rextin strings won't light others will

TWH

Ok I am new and I apologize if this is a common thing and I missed something. I tested a string of 50 generic pixels from Amazon and everything worked fine. I purchased and punched about a 1000 Rextin pixels and did not test before. (big sigh) Started testing single strings of Rextins on the Pixie 16 and nothing. Put a sting on the bench cut the plug and applied 5v. They work fine. Have triple checked wiring from string to phoenix connector to board it is right. I am baffled. 

Any guidance or if you can steer me to a thread would be appreciated.

Pixie 16 5V Controller

Rextin RGB pixels 5V 50 string

S6 Software High Speed Dongle

Did they come with JST connectors ? I will note that the Data only travels in one direction - it is possible that you are inputting to the wrong side of string...

Just a guess..

I have the 12V versions ones @Jimehc mentioned. They work fine on a Pixie8, i mixed with HC ones (Yes, I know about mix issues)

ON THE BENCH? You have a 5V SPI test box?

I do recommend you connect or cap the + power inject lead at both ends. Don't let that flop

The JST pigtail (supplied) will only connect at the IN end

Verify the speed for strings on the Pixie.  While I've found some newer strings to work at either 400khz and 800khz, I've found a number of strings that will only work with one of the two.  Bit me again for my Halloween display (what was that mark I put on the controller and strings?). Fortunately, I only had to redo one string.

Also verify that they are in fact WS2811; if you got older strings, they may not be, and you may need to configure the Pixie appropriately.