Light-O-Rama Forums

2 More Questions on S6 with a P5 matrix

stevehoyt

@k6ccc @MattBrown

I am getting closer to ordering my matrix. I am pretty sure I will go with a 4 x 6 panel version. Just have to figure out a bit more, on how to get this beast on the roof. I have 2 more questions one technical and one a "can I do this fun thing".

1) I suspect it is going to be awfully bright. I took a quick look at the Color Light software. I see I can set a "global" brightness in it. As I won't have access to the controller once it is up on the roof, I was wondering. I know I can do master dimming in the control panel, but what if I just need to dim the panel. Do the standard S6 dimming curves in the prop definition work in this configuration. If not, is there another way to do this besides programming a dim setting in each motion effect.

2) Now the fun question. I got thinking it would be really cool to take an outdoor camera and focus it on the entrance to my display. I'd take this video feed and imbed it inside say a picture of a wreath. So the folks walking up to my door would see themselves inside the wreath. Do you know any way to display a live video feed and a motion effect super imposed at the same time.

Thanks 

Steve

Personal opinion: #2 is probably a bad idea as some of those people will be MINORS and  they can't give permission to record (even if you really are Live only. They have no way to know that).

Thanks for the concern about the consent issue. I should have been clearer. My house/ display is on private property. You need to come down a private road about 300 feet before you would be seen in the camera 

3 hours ago, stevehoyt said:

1) I suspect it is going to be awfully bright. I took a quick look at the Color Light software. I see I can set a "global" brightness in it. As I won't have access to the controller once it is up on the roof, I was wondering. I know I can do master dimming in the control panel, but what if I just need to dim the panel. Do the standard S6 dimming curves in the prop definition work in this configuration. If not, is there another way to do this besides programming a dim setting in each motion effect.

No problem at all to dim it in either the ColorLight software or Falcon Player - or as you noted, in S6.  Personally I would do it in Falcon Player (FAR easier to deal with that than in the ColorLight software).

3 hours ago, stevehoyt said:

2) Now the fun question. I got thinking it would be really cool to take an outdoor camera and focus it on the entrance to my display. I'd take this video feed and imbed it inside say a picture of a wreath. So the folks walking up to my door would see themselves inside the wreath. Do you know any way to display a live video feed and a motion effect super imposed at the same time.

I am going to agree that this is a bad idea, but for a different reason.  It's likely not going to look good.  As anyone who had shot video of their display can tell you, the every changing lighting conditions make video tough to start with.  Next is that even with a 4 x 6 P5 matrix, the resolution is very low compared to a TV or computer monitor.  If you really want to do this, I would do it completely outside of the show control and use a large TV or video monitor.  Add the wreath in whatever software you please (lots of ways to do that live).

As far as being able to do it, I m not aware of any way to insert live video into your show - LOR was never designed for that purpose.  There are ways to run live video to the P5 / P10 matrix, but outside of LOR and then you would completely lose LOR access to that prop.

2 hours ago, Jimehc said:

All the Major Retail Stores record you when walking in and while walking around the store....

You consent by entering.

That is why there are (many) Video Surveillance signs on the property.

You can NOT enter.