Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixie16D V4 FW 1.08 HU issue - Prop Table contains no entries for this FW version

Orville

I just got my new Pixie16D 16 Port controller board today, installed it in the case, connected up everything, turned off all dip switches to set ID and parameters, but when I refresh the HU, it finds the Pixie 16D just fine, however I get a pop-up {also see attached screenshot} that states: The prop table does not contain any entries for this version of Pixie Firmware.  Ensure your computer is online and re-start the hardware utility.

It's a brand-new Pixie 16b V4, loaded with FW 1.08 from the factory,

I can set the ID, which I did from 01 to 15, I can set the pixel count to 100 per port,     I did what the pop-up stated, closed the HU, restarted, computer is always online, nothing happened, not sure what was supposed to happen, but when I selected comm4 and refresh, same thing over and over again.

I am using LOR Suite 4.4.16 Pro License, so the FW should work with this version of the HU.

Am I missing something, is there an updated HU I need to install for this controller, or can I just click ok and ignore this warning pop-up about prop entries?  And just be annoyed with it every time I use the HU when it finds this particular unit.   Haven't tested it out in a sequence yet to see if the lights will function on each port, not knowing if there is something missing in this FW that perhaps should have been there.

Just not sure what's going on and if it's going to function correctly when I put it into service.   Or can I go to a previous version of the FW, like 1.07 and hopefully get rid of this problem?  Not sure how well the graphic can be seen, had to shrink it considerably to get it to post at the 46.88K size the forum needed.

1771640448_Pixie16DV4_FW1-08HUErrorsmall.jpg.8a24427660300cc9510235f407e35e66.jpg

Any help would sure be appreciated, as I'm just not sure where I need to go from here to get this annoying pop-up to go away.

It might be you need a new LOR Device File (availble near the bottom) to tell your older S4 anout new hardware.

Instructions on where to stick it (not there :p ) is also on that page

21 hours ago, TheDucks said:

It might be you need a new LOR Device File (availble near the bottom) to tell your older S4 anout new hardware.

Instructions on where to stick it (not there :p ) is also on that page

Okay, Found the LOR_DeviceFile, however I can not download it.  When I click on the word "Download", it just opens another tab in my browser and shows me what the file contains.

Tried selecting all, copy and pasted it into Notepad, Saved it under ANSI {default}, but when I open it, it's still all in a nice data form order, unlike the original LOR_DeviceFile I have that is a total mess to read when opened, everything is jumbled together.   Is there some special option or way I can save this text file using copy and paste?   Because I tried left clicking the "Download" word and that won't let me download it, tried right clicking on it and it opens the new tab with the info that makes up the txt file.   Kind of at a loss what to do about the file, since I can't get it to download from the link.  Might have worked if it had been a zip file.  Just not sure if it will work in the copy and paste format Notepad is saving it in.

6 hours ago, TheDucks said:

You might need to right click and select Save As.

Some browsers try an Open a download (I use Firefox)

Tried that.  Same results.  I am also using Firefox, been using it for a very long time now.

I just did what JR said, dongraded it to FW V1.07 and the pop-up that was showing went away.

Makes me wonder if FW V1.08 that was factory installed might not have everything in it that should be there?  I don't know.  But once I installed FW 1.07, everything back to 100% normal.   Everything functioning normally.

On 10/24/2022 at 4:11 PM, dibblejr said:

Orville go back to FW 1.07

After attempting to download the latest device file, that I couldn't get to download in a readable format for the LOR HU to understand, I'm guessing, at that.  As I just couldn't download it directly as the file LOR Suite wanted, apparently.  Just copy and paste into Notepad, which did not work.

So after trying every save option possible and getting nowhere with that, I did what you suggested, installed the earlier version, FW 1.07 as suggested and that worked perfectly.  Removed the LOR_DeviceFile txt file, as I never had one in my Light-O-Rama Directory in the Program Files section.

So the Pixie16D is now working just as it should, sequence runs fin, HU works fine.

Thanks J.R.

P.S. Although, that makes me think that something was left out of the FW v.1.08 that was factory installed in the V4 Pixie16D controller.  As I don't know what differences are between 1.07 and 1.08, but 1.08 always put up that pop-up window about no prop definitions for the device.   Which I thought was weird.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Orville said:

After attempting to download the latest device file, that I couldn't get to download in a readable format for the LOR HU to understand, I'm guessing, at that.  As I just couldn't download it directly as the file LOR Suite wanted, apparently.  Just copy and paste into Notepad, which did not work.

So after trying every save option possible and getting nowhere with that, I did what you suggested, installed the earlier version, FW 1.07 as suggested and that worked perfectly.  Removed the LOR_DeviceFile txt file, as I never had one in my Light-O-Rama Directory in the Program Files section.

So the Pixie16D is now working just as it should, sequence runs fin, HU works fine.

Thanks J.R.

P.S. Although, that makes me think that something was left out of the FW v.1.08 that was factory installed in the V4 Pixie16D controller.  As I don't know what differences are between 1.07 and 1.08, but 1.08 always put up that pop-up window about no prop definitions for the device.   Which I thought was weird.

😕 Just tried to actually DO it (had no immediate need. Had done it years ago with no problem.) You are correct. FF just opens a new tab and shows the text.

Then I pasted the contents into Notepad++ and installed it on my show computer (after renaming the existing to .sav) HU could not find my CMB24, only the Pixie on the same net.

Restored the original and all is golden.   So there seems to be 2 problems. The New Web site has messed up the download. And there is a issue with the file contents (CMB24 has an entry, but it appears in a different place in the list)

AFAIK there is no way to tell what version of this file is installed (file date can be unreliable) 

On 10/26/2022 at 3:42 AM, TheDucks said:

😕 Just tried to actually DO it (had no immediate need. Had done it years ago with no problem.) You are correct. FF just opens a new tab and shows the text.

Then I pasted the contents into Notepad++ and installed it on my show computer (after renaming the existing to .sav) HU could not find my CMB24, only the Pixie on the same net.

Restored the original and all is golden.   So there seems to be 2 problems. The New Web site has messed up the download. And there is a issue with the file contents (CMB24 has an entry, but it appears in a different place in the list)

AFAIK there is no way to tell what version of this file is installed (file date can be unreliable) 

Same here, years ago I had no issue with downloading it in its proper form.  I tried a couple other browsers and had the same results.   Funny thing is, when I checked my Light-O-Rama directory in the Program Files area, there was no LOR DeviceFile located in it.   Apparently I never used it, so I put the one I downloaded in there years ago, but still wouldn't make that pop-up error window go away, so deleted it, went to FW 1.07 as J.R. directed and everything is 100% perfectly fine, all controllers work as they should.

So, at least I can use it without worrying something could affect the show when running if the FW 1.08 isn't compatible with my system or version of the LOR Suite I'm using {4.4.16 Pro}.

Now I'm just waiting for my N4-G4 Director and Pixie2D to arrive, so I can get things wired back to normal, well, what's normal for my display. :)

Orville

In Firefox (applies to this LOR entry)

Right click the word 'download': Save Link as: ,<the file name is suggested>

That takes care of getting the file. Have no clue WHY? I had other issues

20 hours ago, TheDucks said:

Orville

In Firefox (applies to this LOR entry)

Right click the word 'download': Save Link as: ,<the file name is suggested>

That takes care of getting the file. Have no clue WHY? I had other issues

Nope, when I tried that, it still just opens the file in a new tab {no save or save file options}.  Tried that several times, all with the same exact results.  I just can't download that particular file at all.

I guess my computer thinks it doesn't need it.   So I have given up on even trying to download that file.   When I right-click I never get a save as or save, in the options window that save the file {download it}, all just opens the file in a new tab.  Only options to save anything are, just an Open Link or Copy File URL Link, but no option to actually save the file at all.  All options available, and I've tried all of them, they on;y open the file, won't save the actual file {download it}.  Very frustrating.

This is the ONLY file I have this issue with, everything else I use the right-click option, FF gives me the Save File As or Save File options to Save a file to my drive.  This IS the ONLY one I can't download, for whatever reason, I have no clue.

Edited by Orville

On 10/29/2022 at 8:29 AM, Jimehc said:

With Firefox - Download button - Page Opens as text >>  Ctrl+S

Yes, but it doesn't save it in the proper format that LOR seems to use.

In the original file the info is squeezed together, not in an orderly, clean, readable form like happens when using CTRL-S, it just saves it as a standard text file, and this file is not standard by any means, so the LOR suite software won't read it.   The original file when opened is like stated, jumbled up, difficult to read and looks like there may be some machine code symbols in it.  Saving it with CTRL-S, does not save it in the form that apparently LOR needs it to be in.   Believe me, I've tried every way possible to download it in the format LOR would use, but when it opens the file, it looks like a very clean data import file, but when I saved it with CTRL-S, it still gave me that same pop-up window of no prop defined for the Pixie 16.

So I just don't use the device file at all, never had one in my Program directory, at least when I looked, there was no such file there.   So I deleted it out, and everything works fine,just had to go to FW 1.07 for the Pixie 16 to stop having that pop-up show up in the HU.  Before I went to FW 1.07, the RGB colors were all incorrect, once FW 1.07 installed, every was normal, as it should be.  RGB lights now come on with the correct colors.

Yes it does.... You just have to copy it to the correct location.....

"C:\ProgramData\Light-O-Rama\Downloads\HWU\LOR_DeviceFile.txt"

"D:\Light-O-Rama\LORInternal\Downloads\HWU\LOR_DeviceFile.txt"

Image010.jpg

Edited by Jimehc

He choose to reply in regards to the Device file download in Firefox - and yes I know 1.07 fixed his board as I reported the issue several days earlier...

Do you have a problem with folks talking or responding in a public forum ?

19 hours ago, Jimehc said:

Yes it does.... You just have to copy it to the correct location.....

"C:\ProgramData\Light-O-Rama\Downloads\HWU\LOR_DeviceFile.txt"

"D:\Light-O-Rama\LORInternal\Downloads\HWU\LOR_DeviceFile.txt"

Image010.jpg

This is what I went by [Copied Directly from the FW page]: This file lets older LOR software find newer LOR hardware. On 32 bit computers the LOR_DeviceFile.txt is located in: C:\Program Files\Light-O-Rama. On 64 bit computers the LOR_DeviceFile.txt is located in: C:\Program Files (x86)\Light-O-Rama. Save your current LOR_DeviceFile.txt file. Replace with this newer LOR_DeviceFile.txt file.

--------------------------- Directory Bolded above is my current system 32 Bit Windows ---------------------------

So I would have never looked in that Directory, as it wasn't even listed in where to place the file.  I found it in the ProgramData area under Light-O-Rama\Downloads\HWU.   I was putting it in the Program\Light-O-Rama folder, according to the instructions.   So, just tried it again using the CTRL-S and saved it directly to the HWU folder in the ProgramData Light-O-Rama folder.

Since this directory IS NOT mentioned in the information on the LOR_DevicleFile, I NEVER would have known where to put it.  Thanks for the info.  No wonder it never worked, was putting it in the wrong place!

So I suppose that could have been part of the problem, will never know since I have gone back to V.107, and V1.08 isn't available to download or try to see if this might have resolved the issue I was having.

Going to write this info down in my LOR Notebook for future reference, in case I come across any issues with new Hardware I may buy later on.

Thank you very much for your help.   At least I know where the file SHOULD go now! :)

Edited by Orville
Correct a few Typo's here and there.

Orville, the instructions on Where was on the download page.

But, since this file supports later hardware, why does LOR not just have a 'Get Latest...'  under Showtimes Help and do all the lifting for us.

With a little bit more code, HU could log hardware found and 'Get Latest' could store the latest FW (but not do the actual to device part). Never hurts to be prepared 😁

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Orville said:

This is what I went by [Copied Directly from the FW page]: This file lets older LOR software find newer LOR hardware. On 32 bit computers the LOR_DeviceFile.txt is located in: C:\Program Files\Light-O-Rama. On 64 bit computers the LOR_DeviceFile.txt is located in: C:\Program Files (x86)\Light-O-Rama. Save your current LOR_DeviceFile.txt file. Replace with this newer LOR_DeviceFile.txt file.

--------------------------- Directory Bolded above is my current system 32 Bit Windows ---------------------------

So I would have never looked in that Directory, as it wasn't even listed in where to place the file.  I found it in the ProgramData area under Light-O-Rama\Downloads\HWU.   I was putting it in the Program\Light-O-Rama folder, according to the instructions.   So, just tried it again using the CTRL-S and saved it directly to the HWU folder in the ProgramData Light-O-Rama folder.

Since this directory IS NOT mentioned in the information on the LOR_DevicleFile, I NEVER would have known where to put it.  Thanks for the info.  No wonder it never worked, was putting it in the wrong place!

So I suppose that could have been part of the problem, will never know since I have gone back to V.107, and V1.08 isn't available to download or try to see if this might have resolved the issue I was having.

Going to write this info down in my LOR Notebook for future reference, in case I come across any issues with new Hardware I may buy later on.

Thank you very much for your help.   At least I know where the file SHOULD go now! :)

You can download the fw file to any place you want on your computer and as long as you remember where you stored it update the fw through the HU.

Yes LOR software has a nice place to place it and with S5/6 it has all of the current available fw for every device. It auto updates when you connect to the internet, even better.

In S6 it auto loads the directory as soon as you select “firmware”.

Since 1.08 was broke it may come out in another version and not 1.08. Food for thought.

JR