Light-O-Rama Forums

PixCon16 LOR Unit ID SetUp

johnhalbert3

LoR version 5.6.6 Pro

LOR enhanced 500k to pixcon16

1 string of 50 pixels that I can move to different Outputs

Arg - I can get OP1 working but the other OPs (2-5) do not work (I have not checked 6-16 but assume they do not work - 

using the network preferences, I set the pixels/output to 50, Ethernet protocol to LOR and Advanced is not checked. LEDs ar ws2811, speed is fast.

I have 1 prop in my preview: 10 strings of 50 pixels each as a tree with 1 motion row. 

image.png.ce4f0f758ad0a6b252eb5d29561fc890.png

I added a Motion to the tree in the sequence editor and then play - OP1 works as expected, but when I move the string to OP2 I get no output - any ideas??

No, that is the default config that prop definition comes up with to match the default config in network prefrences

We can't see your preview so we don't know how you have that set up. By your screen shot you have everything set for what's called pixel packing, this is where you use every channel in the universe/Unit ID before moving to the next. It is much easier and less confusing if you use one universe/Unit ID per port rather than carrying channels over. The 50 pixel string on port 1 should use Unit ID 1 circuits 1-150. The 50 pixel string on port 2 should use Unit ID 2 circuits 1-150 and so on. Using one universe/Unit ID per port reduces confusion.

That's what it should look like. Then make sure the network config and the port config for the pixcon are set the same way.

Edited by Mr. P

There are lots of different ways of doing channel arrangements.  Depending on the hardware in use may dictate some parameters, but almost universally there are lots of ways you can arrange things.  However, it is absolutely critical that the actual hardware and it's configuration exactly matches the configuration in the software (Preview layout and Network Preferences).

16 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

There are lots of different ways of doing channel arrangements.  Depending on the hardware in use may dictate some parameters, but almost universally there are lots of ways you can arrange things.  However, it is absolutely critical that the actual hardware and it's configuration exactly matches the configuration in the software (Preview layout and Network Preferences).

True, there are many ways to configure. However, since the Pixcon is complicated to most and especially to new Pixcon users, K.I.S.S.

47 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

True, there are many ways to configure. However, since the Pixcon is complicated to most and especially to new Pixcon users, K.I.S.S.

100% agree!

I've been running pixels since 2012 and most of my E1.31 controllers are set to one universe per port.  Just makes it easier...  Only time I pixel packed was when I was using SanDevices E682 controllers for my pixel tree which are limited to 12 universes and I was using all 16 ports.

II went back to Network Preferences and re-configed the pixcon16 in the advanced control tab:

image.png.80dd8423d07bb0c2d25f336eeb5ff2c7.png

and the Prop setup in the sequencer:

image.png.bd7be650316519cdb17259d57baf05f6.png

and it now all outputs work!

It is confusing the NP setup uses decimal for the unit numbers and Prop Definition uses HEX - seems like someone could change the NP program to use HEX if the LOR config is set and decimal for DMX config.

Thank you all for the pointers -

And one of these days I will get around to setting up DMX

Yes, you can, but a common recommendation for Pixie controllers is to start at x1 or x0 - in other words for example 11 or 10.  Personally I prefer to start at x1 so that port 1 comes out as x1 and port 2 comes out as x2 etc.  Since a Pixie 16 takes 16 Unit IDs (counting in Hex), starting at for example 11 would use IDs 11 - 20 and starting at for example 10 would use IDs 10 - 1F.  Doing so would allow using additional IDs in single digits for additional single Unit ID controllers in the future.

Also note, that if you are using multiple LOR networks, you CAN use the same Unit IDs on different networks, NOT duplicating Unit IDs makes it easier for us poor human beings.

5 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Yes, you can, but a common recommendation for Pixie controllers is to start at x1 or x0 - in other words for example 11 or 10.  Personally I prefer to start at x1 so that port 1 comes out as x1 and port 2 comes out as x2 etc.  Since a Pixie 16 takes 16 Unit IDs (counting in Hex), starting at for example 11 would use IDs 11 - 20 and starting at for example 10 would use IDs 10 - 1F.  Doing so would allow using additional IDs in single digits for additional single Unit ID controllers in the future.

Also note, that if you are using multiple LOR networks, you CAN use the same Unit IDs on different networks, NOT duplicating Unit IDs makes it easier for us poor human beings.

I did that once, using duplicate ID's across different networks.  But when I did, I made sure I marked the controller as AUX A Unit #01, AUX C Unit #01, but even so, it can still get you confused.  So, I completely agree, NOT using duplicate ID numbers is best all around.  No confusion, and I can put whatever controller on whatever network and not worry too much about having duplicates where they shouldn't be. LOL

Especially when it requires moving a controller to another network due to placement of the controller.

Just now, RoswellSanta said:

I have a pixcon 16. If I set it 1 thru 16 I can change my controllers to 17, 18 etc. Correct?

It won't be 1-16, remember you count in hex.

1 minute ago, Mr. P said:

It won't be 1-16, remember you count in hex.

Yes. 1 thru 16 in the network preferences but hex in the sequencer preview 

2 minutes ago, RoswellSanta said:

Yes. 1 thru 16 in the network preferences but hex in the sequencer preview 

And Unit ID's 1-10, the next controller can go on 11.

1 minute ago, Mr. P said:

And Unit ID's 1-10, the next controller can go on 11.

Cool.  My brain hurts. Next question  my tree has 16 strands of 50. My first 3 strands have pixels for a nested star.  Strands one has 50 plus 70. #2 has 50 plus 50 pixels #3 has 50 plus 30 for 900 pixels.  Can a mini MP3 handle this many pixels?