Light-O-Rama Forums

I'm trying to configure my new PixCon16, how do you setup LOR unitIDs in the PixCon16? Everything says Universe, not Unit ID

Gmitch

Hi,

Do I use the Hardware Utility to create a Unit ID for my E1.31 (PixCon16) controller? I already have an enhanced network on my showtime director for my other pixie 16 controller, and RGB flood controller.  Can I add the E1.31 controller to that? Thanks

I don't have a Pixcon 16, but you use Network Preferences to configure the PixCon 16.  Beyond that, I have no information short of reading the manual.

The PixCon 16 controller can be operated either as an E1.31 controller (over Ethernet), or on an Enhanced LOR network.

11 hours ago, Gmitch said:

Hi,

Do I use the Hardware Utility to create a Unit ID for my E1.31 (PixCon16) controller? I already have an enhanced network on my showtime director for my other pixie 16 controller, and RGB flood controller.  Can I add the E1.31 controller to that? Thanks

Sorry, but the Directors CAN NOT run E1.31, they are not designed for that.  Directors can only run Regular or Enhanced LOR networks or DMX.  E1.31 IS NOT an option if using a Director unit.  {Surprised Jim didn't catch this!}

However, I don't own a Pixcon16, but I would think you should be able to configure it for use with a Showtime Director, and as Jim stated, you'll need to consult the manual.  Especially, if you are wanting to use it with a Director.

Edited by Orville

On 11/29/2021 at 11:25 PM, k6ccc said:

I don't have a Pixcon 16, but you use Network Preferences to configure the PixCon 16.  Beyond that, I have no information short of reading the manual.

The PixCon 16 controller can be operated either as an E1.31 controller (over Ethernet), or on an Enhanced LOR network.

Ok, thanks so much!

On 11/30/2021 at 10:15 AM, Orville said:

Sorry, but the Directors CAN NOT run E1.31, they are not designed for that.  Directors can only run Regular or Enhanced LOR networks or DMX.  E1.31 IS NOT an option if using a Director unit.  {Surprised Jim didn't catch this!}

However, I don't own a Pixcon16, but I would think you should be able to configure it for use with a Showtime Director, and as Jim stated, you'll need to consult the manual.  Especially, if you are wanting to use it with a Director.

Thanks so much!

Hi,

I'm using software 5.6.6 and trying to configure the PixCon 16 and can't determine how to setup my Unit IDs? Do I only put the first "UnitID" in the "start Universe" tab?

9 minutes ago, Don said:

Check out the User Guide: https://www1.lightorama.com/PDF/Pixcon16Manual.pdf

What utility are you using to set the address?

Hi, I used the network preferences to start my configuration. When I get to control tab tab of the configuration, I'm not sure how to set it up for LOR UnitIDs so I can run it on ELOR for my N4-G4 showtime director. Thanks image.thumb.png.4c54a585f536d03d793eab7b2cdc9f11.png

I've never configured one in LOR mode before. I'd have to tinker with it to see how it's done. Honestly, I don't know if it would even accept a UnitID, and it'd have to be a E1.31 type configuration.

Any PixCon experts (I mean, experts) out there?

Hi,

I'm using software 5.6.6 and trying to configure the PixCon 16 and can't determine how to setup my Unit IDs? Do I only put the first "UnitID" in the "start Universe" tab?

A PixCon16, when configuring, is a network device like your computer or similar device.  You will connect it to a router or switch that is on your network.  MAKE SURE YOU ATTACH THE CABLE TO THE ETHERNET PORT!! 

I encourage you to read the PixCon16 Manual.  The manual contains pictures that show the different ports.

You use the Network Configuration tool to configure your PixCon16.  There is a button on the Network Configuration tool labeled "Find/Configure PixCon16".  Once the unit is located, you click on it to bring up the configuration dialogs.  Click on the tab labeled "Control".  Page 19 of the manual tells you how to put the device in LOR mode.  Somewhere in that dialog I would presume you can set the Unit ID for the PixCon16 (Sorry, no example in the guide and my PixCon16 is quite a few miles away running a display or I would provide more details on this.)  What I can say is I put my device on an the Aux A network and left my 16 channel regular light controllers on the Regular Network. 

I've been using a PixCon16 with a Director for three or four years.  It works great!

Edited by basis21b
Correct typos

Hi,

Again, never used a Pixcon 16, but as I recall, there is a "switch" setting in the software config that tells it that you will be using ELOR mode rather than E1.31.  Sounds like until you change that, it will not let you set ELOR Unit ID.

I was trying to remember what I did to put in the LOR unit ID.  It was over three years ago and remembering what I had for lunch often proves challenging.  I do know it is set to 50 and so port 01 is Unit ID 50, port 02 is Unit ID 51 etc.  In that way it behaves like a Pixie.  I configured it a number of years ago and the Network Preferences tool has changed so the process is slightly different.  The device is a few miles away running a display.  I do have to visit the display tomorrow.  If I remember, I'll try to bring along a laptop and see if I can locate the initial Unit ID setting. 

4 minutes ago, LORAdmin said:

Multiple threads merged into this one.

One thread per topic, please. No need to open multiple ones with the same question.

Sorry, wasn't sure if I was in the right forums because I kept getting responses where people are trying to help, but weren't sure of solutions. Please advise

51 minutes ago, basis21b said:

I was trying to remember what I did to put in the LOR unit ID.  It was over three years ago and remembering what I had for lunch often proves challenging.  I do know it is set to 50 and so port 01 is Unit ID 50, port 02 is Unit ID 51 etc.  In that way it behaves like a Pixie.  I configured it a number of years ago and the Network Preferences tool has changed so the process is slightly different.  The device is a few miles away running a display.  I do have to visit the display tomorrow.  If I remember, I'll try to bring along a laptop and see if I can locate the initial Unit ID setting. 

Ok awesome, thanks!

17 hours ago, Gmitch said:

Ok awesome, thanks!

Good news and bad news. 

For the bad news.  I haven't a clue as to how you assign a Unit ID when using release 5.6.2 or above of the Network Utility.  I looked at all of the tabs that were displayed in the Network Utility and there wasn't anywhere that I could find to do the unit to port assignments.

The "good news":  I took a machine that was running a release below 5.6.2 (specifically release 4.4.4) and used the Network Utility on that machine.  In the tab labeled Pixel Port Setup I entered the Unit ID for each port on the device.   See image below.

If you have access another machine where you can install release 5.6.0 or below you could configure using that.  Otherwise the only option I see is for you to log an incident with the LOR Helpdesk.  Someone at the helpdesk would likely need to get the attention of a developer to provide instructions on how to set unit ids on software releases above 5.6.0.  If you don't want to contact the helpdesk let me know and I will log an issue as there will come a time I will want to configure my PixCon16.  However in my case time is not critical to get a resolution.

Network Utility.png

• Like 1

And I just found the alleged answer in the Help file.  However I have screen captures  (shown below) from the Network Utility on my 5.6.6 computer and it does not show the starting universe at 50 as I would expect since the first port on the device is obviously assigned the Unit ID of 50.  Which now make me wonder if the helpfile is accurate.

In the Help for the PixCon16 under the section Start Universe/Channel:

Start Universe / Channel

• In E1.31 and Art-Net mode, these 2 fields specify the universe and start channel for the first port. Normally, the channel should be set to 1.
  • In LOR mode, this specifies the Unit Id and Circuit of the first port. Normally, the channel (circuit) should be set to 1. Note that the Unit Id here is in decimal (base 10), whereas the unit id is hexadecimal (base 16) in all other parts of the software. See the Unit Id Values topic for a conversion table.

The help file also indicates that you should be sure to:

As an LOR device on an LOR RS485 network. A Cat5 cable is attached to the "J3/J4 (DMX #1)" jack on the board and run (directly or indirectly) to a Light-O-Rama USB adapter. Be sure to also move the jumpers on the board from the ESTA side to the LOR side near J4.

Here is a link to the PDF - https://www1.lightorama.com/downloads/5.6.6/LORHelp.pdf You can search the helpfile from the Network utility by clicking on Help in the menu of the Network preference Utility.

Light-O-Rama PixCon 16 Utility.png

Edited by basis21b
Fixed typos
  • Like 1