Light-O-Rama Forums

RBG: controlling 100 pixels (I am stuck with what is most likely a super simple issue)

Master Edd

Hi all, first of all, THANK YOU for everyone's support, these LOR threads have saved me before, and this is the first time I've had to post. I am new to RGB and hoping for a nudge in the right direction...

I have 2 Pixie2D (v3) controllers with 8 strings of (50) smart RGB nodes, all from LOR. I want to control up to 100 pixels per port (2 strings) and up to 200 pixels per controller, but no matter what I have tried, when I connect 2 strings to 1 port it either does not work at all, or the string acts like a dumb string. Based on what I gathered from @dibblejr videos and posts, I believe I need to do 2 things:

1. set the pixel number to 100 pixels per port in the Pixie Config in the HU (leaving log-res as 50)
  2. REMOVE the jumper from JP5 (so there will be NO jumper)

Is this accurate, and is that it? (I want to check before removing any jumpers and accidentally experiencing the magic smoke, lol).

3 additional noob questions:

• Can each pixie port run up to 170 pixel nodes (@30%)? Meaning my little pixie 2 can run 340 pixels? If so, would I simply increase the HU config to 170 pixels?
  • How do the pixie channels work once I get the controller to play nice? My first Pixie is channel 20... so, is port 1 = channel 20, and port 2 = channel 21? Or is port 1/string1 = channel 20, and port 1/string 2 = channel 21, port 2/1 = ch3, 2/2 = ch4?
  • And finally... I have added/downloaded some props in the S5 visualizer only to find I am unable to edit in the sequencer - such as a star shape, or a tree. The channels are 'hashed' out and I am unable to sequence. Any way around this? Or do I just need to draw my own shapes?

Apologies for the long post - and thanks a ton,

Keith

51 minutes ago, Master Edd said:

Hi all, first of all, THANK YOU for everyone's support, these LOR threads have saved me before, and this is the first time I've had to post. I am new to RGB and hoping for a nudge in the right direction...

I have 2 Pixie2D (v3) controllers with 8 strings of (50) smart RGB nodes, all from LOR. I want to control up to 100 pixels per port (2 strings) and up to 200 pixels per controller, but no matter what I have tried, when I connect 2 strings to 1 port it either does not work at all, or the string acts like a dumb string. Based on what I gathered from @dibblejr videos and posts, I believe I need to do 2 things:

1. set the pixel number to 100 pixels per port in the Pixie Config in the HU (leaving log-res as 50)
  2. REMOVE the jumper from JP5 (so there will be NO jumper)

Is this accurate, and is that it? (I want to check before removing any jumpers and accidentally experiencing the magic smoke, lol).

3 additional noob questions:

• Can each pixie port run up to 170 pixel nodes (@30%)? Meaning my little pixie 2 can run 340 pixels? If so, would I simply increase the HU config to 170 pixels?
  • How do the pixie channels work once I get the controller to play nice? My first Pixie is channel 20... so, is port 1 = channel 20, and port 2 = channel 21? Or is port 1/string1 = channel 20, and port 1/string 2 = channel 21, port 2/1 = ch3, 2/2 = ch4?
  • And finally... I have added/downloaded some props in the S5 visualizer only to find I am unable to edit in the sequencer - such as a star shape, or a tree. The channels are 'hashed' out and I am unable to sequence. Any way around this? Or do I just need to draw my own shapes?

Apologies for the long post - and thanks a ton,

Keith

Yes, it is that simple.

Ensure no jumper on JP3, JP4 or JP5

Power up

Attach it to your USB RS485 adapter

search and find the controller in the HArdware Utility

at bottom of page "Configuration"

Next page "cosmic color ribbon/ Pixie configuration"

Next page "advanced" if it is a narrow screen. If it is a large square screen then ensure you set the pixels per port and ensure Logical Resolution is at 50

"Ok" and you should see a pop up "commands have been received"

Thats it

I have never tried a pixie2 at 170 but if you can select 170 in the HU you can try. Remember do not power "all white " at 100% intensity or in 2-3 seconds a fuse will pop.

You are correct on your unit ID's. Pixie2's will consume 2 unit IDs

To get rid of the "hash tags" in a sequence = right click on the pixel prop name and "add/ modify a Motion Effect Row" or you can add channel level (bottom selection) or both

JR

Edited by dibblejr
  • Like 1

Thanks JR, I appreciate the help! Not only this response, but the wealth of knowledge you have shared and continue to share.

Let me know if I can send you a starbucks card or something :)

By the way, happy belated Veterans Day!

-Keith (Edd was a funny nick name I had ages ago)

• Like 1

quick clarification question regarding the "100% white"

I have my RGB props set to 30% Pixel Curve in the Visualizer. Do I also need to reduce my '100% white' in the sequencer, or am I good to go after setting the prop to 30%?

As you can tell, I am adding some last-minute RGB to the show. I have 5 AC controllers plus dumb RGB floods - can't wait to add this flare!

-Keith

Unplugged the Pixie2, removed the jumper from JP5 (currently no jumper on any of the 4 sets of JP5 prongs), then plugged in. Now all lights are locked on white. Even the little test button does nothing (since everything is on).

See pic below... What did I miss?

Thanks! 

20211116_172916.jpg

Ope, I think i figure it out. By removing the jumper, the controller board lost the hard-wired info, so the board needed info. At first the HU updates did not work, but that is because the lights were identified as "WS2811 (400khz)" instead of "WS2811 (800khz)". Once I updated that and clicked save/ok, the lights turned off and then tested successfully in the HU and seem to be behaving properly. I have not fully tested, but so far so good.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, 

I have been searching for a simple setup using this same hardware. For many years I used the older version of the bulbs and controller and had 50 bulbs on a port. All I did was run the test console and configure some simple settings using macros and color effects. Worked great. I have now purchased the newer version Pixie2D with 4 strings of 50 bulbs and think I have everything configured correct, especially after reviewing this post. I get all the same behaviors and can test everything with the Hardware Utility. Everything works until I use the Light console. All the bulbs do not light as expected. 

This is new hardware sold as a package from LOR.

It is setup on the Pixie Config as WS2811 (800Khz), 100 pixels per port, and 50 pixels logical resolution. 

Any help appreciated. It is my understanding I can use the macro and color effects in the Light Console as long as I have 50 logical pixels. 

Thanks!

26 minutes ago, mpearson88 said:

Hi, 

I have been searching for a simple setup using this same hardware. For many years I used the older version of the bulbs and controller and had 50 bulbs on a port. All I did was run the test console and configure some simple settings using macros and color effects. Worked great. I have now purchased the newer version Pixie2D with 4 strings of 50 bulbs and think I have everything configured correct, especially after reviewing this post. I get all the same behaviors and can test everything with the Hardware Utility. Everything works until I use the Light console. All the bulbs do not light as expected. 

This is new hardware sold as a package from LOR.

It is setup on the Pixie Config as WS2811 (800Khz), 100 pixels per port, and 50 pixels logical resolution. 

Any help appreciated. It is my understanding I can use the macro and color effects in the Light Console as long as I have 50 logical pixels. 

Thanks!

You MUST upgrade your license to PRO to enable you to run on the Enhanced Network.

Harware Utility is a backdoor to setting up the pixie controller, it has absolutely nothing to do with running a show.

JR

22 hours ago, dibblejr said:

You MUST upgrade your license to PRO to enable you to run on the Enhanced Network.

Harware Utility is a backdoor to setting up the pixie controller, it has absolutely nothing to do with running a show.

JR

Thanks JR! I do not need to run a show, I just need lights to use the built-in effects on a string Pixie2D with two strings of 50 bulbs on each port.  Are you saying I cannot use the existing hardware unless I purchase the Pro version? 

1 minute ago, mpearson88 said:

Thanks JR! I do not need to run a show, I just need lights to use the built-in effects on a string Pixie2D with two strings of 50 bulbs on each port.  Are you saying I cannot use the existing hardware unless I purchase the Pro version? 

A Pixie 2 uses up the Basic Level  ID count by itself. No other controllers can be attached. To use Enhanced mode (not sure it is needed for a single Pixie 2 doing basic stuff) needs Pro

25 minutes ago, mpearson88 said:

I just need lights to use the built-in effects on a string Pixie2D with two strings of 50 bulbs on each port. 

What built in effects?  Do you mean test patterns?

6 hours ago, mpearson88 said:

Yes you need pro to properly run a pixie 16 in the Enhanced network. Page 5/6 in the manual.

Im not sure a pixie2 has a Standalone mode it could be that ive never looked in the Hardware Utility for the setting though.

JR

The manual does not say it does not.

@mpearson88 you still need to LOAD a sequence into standalone. That sequence needs to be set to run Regular (network) and USE the ID(s) of the Pixie

Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it. I am sure I will graduate to an actual show. I do not use an enhanced network, but perhaps I need to now. My goal is to use macros and color effects from the Light Console like I did before upgrading. Perhaps this no longer works or simply requires me to adjust my steps. 

@TheDucks, thanks! This is not a standalone show, just simple manipulations with the Test Console.

Steps: 

1. Open Hardware Utility.

2. Connect to Pixie2D unit and select it. 

3. Confirm connectivity to all lights by clicking on the TEST button and simply turning on a color.

4. Click on LIGHT CONSOLE in hardware utility to bring up the Light-0-Rama Test Console.

5. Under Channel Mode select Extended Circuit IDs

6. With Unit ID 1 selected, slide SELECT CHANNEL GROUP slider over to access channel 151 and move to 1 indicating entire string as 1 pixel.

7. Slide SELECT CHANNEL GROUP slider back to channel 1 and turn up to 100. 

Usually the result would be to light up all of Unit 1 with red. I get only the first bulb. This tells me that the logical resolution is not being set. Normally I would set this to a much higher number and then layer in simple macros and color effects by manipulating channels 152, 153, 154, 155. Then I would repeat for the other unit. 

I have figured out that I can slide the Test Console to different channels and manually set them to different colors. However, I am in search of simple macros and color effects for now. 

What am I missing in terms of access to these simple effects? 

Thanks for your help.

Matt

On 12/6/2021 at 12:36 PM, k6ccc said:

What built in effects?  Do you mean test patterns?

In the old "Quickstartguideforcolorbulbs.pdf" these are referred to as Macros and Color Effects accessed via the Test Console in turn accessed by pressing the "Light Console" button in the hardware utility. 

"Usually the result would be to light up all of Unit 1 with red. I get only the first bulb"

Try telling the HU that is is a different kind of controller (CB24, CCR, etc.). I have 'tricked' it to do what I want in the past.

LIGHT CONSOLE is for DUMB  tests

HU Pixel console only controls 50 nodes (150 Channels).

Did you select Pixie (in the big D)

Edited by TheDucks

2 hours ago, Master Edd said:

"Usually the result would be to light up all of Unit 1 with red. I get only the first bulb"

Try telling the HU that is is a different kind of controller (CB24, CCR, etc.). I have 'tricked' it to do what I want in the past.

It seems you are talking about the RGB Pixel Console (new to me in the version). I don't see where you would set color effects or macros here.