Light-O-Rama Forums

RGB WS2811 Rigid Strip issues

z327

I purchased new rigid strips from Ali and my Pixie 8D vers 2 is not talking to them. The ribbon has three wires. 12V, GND and Din (assuming Data In). When I power up the Pixie8 all 60 of the pixels in the strip come on white. The hardware utility doesn't seem to be able to control the strip. I've tried configuring for 400hz and 800hz.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

It's a little hard to tell from the photos, but appears that Red = +12 V, White = Ground, and Green = Data.  Are you wired that way, or did the strips come with docs that indicate which wire is which?  Lacking that, look at the wire solder connections on the strips.  Look for the labels printed on the board.  Note, that the actual strips and wiring may not match the photos, so checking yourself is a good thing.  The arrow indicates the direction of data flow, so the back end of the arrow is the end with Data In (where you connect your controller).

7 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

It's a little hard to tell from the photos, but appears that Red = +12 V, White = Ground, and Green = Data.  Are you wired that way, or did the strips come with docs that indicate which wire is which?  Lacking that, look at the wire solder connections on the strips.  Look for the labels printed on the board.  Note, that the actual strips and wiring may not match the photos, so checking yourself is a good thing.  The arrow indicates the direction of data flow, so the back end of the arrow is the end with Data In (where you connect your controller).

I did look at the strip itself and you are correct on wire colors. I connected the Pixie8 + to the 12V on the red wire going into the strip and the - to the GND white wire on the strip. If I power up the Pixie8 all the LEDS come on and are white, even before I attach the Pixie8 DT to the Strip's Din (in accordance with the arrow on the strip). Connecting the Pixie data wire seems to do nothing. The Hardware Utility is unable to control any of the LEDs.

I've tested the Pixie8 on other strips and it works fine. These strips do have an additional red and white wire going to 12V and GND, but I figured these are only needed for additional power if you are putting many strips together sequentially.

I've messaged the Aliexpress vendor as well.

I am having the same problem with a Pixie16 controller using Smart Strip WS2811-CCR-II strips.  Even though the HU finds the controller OK, after trying to send test colors, The Listener displays Comm Port Communication issues. I have 2 Pixie Controllers and several strips.  Pretty sure this is a communication issue but not smart enough to figure it our.  BTW, my strips turn off when the 800KHz version is selected in the configuration.

14 minutes ago, azfrankp said:

I am having the same problem with a Pixie16 controller using Smart Strip WS2811-CCR-II strips.  Even though the HU finds the controller OK, after trying to send test colors, The Listener displays Comm Port Communication issues. I have 2 Pixie Controllers and several strips.  Pretty sure this is a communication issue but not smart enough to figure it our.  BTW, my strips turn off when the 800KHz version is selected in the configuration.

I have typed this reply so many times this month I could do it in my sleep/

1- Remove the jumper on JP5 if its there 

2- Ensure no jumpers on JP5, JP4, JP3

3- JP2 should get a jumper

4- For ease of use turn off the dip switch that is on - from the factory it is Unit ID 1

Connect the controller you are searching for to the RS485 adapter by itself

5- Once that is done open HU and ensure the com port you are searching has the pixie controller

6- Press the refresh button - never press auto configure com port

7- once the unit ID is found if it is not firmware 1.07 visit this page and scroll down to your pixie model and download 1.07 Firmware Updates - Light-O-Rama (lightorama.com)

8- Follow the firmware update process on the HU screen - very easy

9- Once fw update is complete press the "configuration button" bottom of page

10- Next window select ccr/ Pixie configuration button

11- The next window will be either narrow if you've never been there or a large re box if you have

12- Ensure the Logical resolution is 50, even if you have 170 pixels. Most users will only use the 50 LR

13- Set your pixels per port and color order

14- save/ apply , you should receive a messages "changes have been applied" - in the event you get a different error would mean you didnt make any changes and attempted to apply

15- test your controller on the Test page which is the original HU page and or the white test button on the controller

16- If your color order is not correct go back to steps 12 and 13 and test until correct

17- In some cases you will have to select the WS2811 400 kwtz but most are 800

18- Following those instructions should get you through initial setup

Here are some videos for reference

Thanks for great detailed support. I hope it helps others. My controller is working correctly. But I fear the manufacturer has misrepresented the strips as WS2811 or built them incorrectly. The LEDs should not come on when the 12V and Ground are attached and they turn on full white. I've opened a dispute with AliExpress after contacting the seller and getting no response.

5 minutes ago, z327 said:

Thanks for great detailed support. I hope it helps others. My controller is working correctly. But I fear the manufacturer has misrepresented the strips as WS2811 or built them incorrectly. The LEDs should not come on when the 12V and Ground are attached and they turn on full white. I've opened a dispute with AliExpress after contacting the seller and getting no response.

If your license level on your profile is correct your pixie controllers will never work. You need to be running at least SE 4.4.0 and a Pro license.

Sorry I jus noticed that

JR

NM - I just was able to see the video - only took 5 mins to get it to load.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

31 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

If your license level on your profile is correct your pixie controllers will never work. You need to be running at least SE 4.4.0 and a Pro license.

Sorry I jus noticed that

JR

He states its working, but not correctly {strips lighting up incorrectly}.  And if his license level isn't PRO, and he's not using the 4.4.0 software suite or later, chances are it's never going to work, or function correctly until they upgrade to PRO and the correct software that handles Pixies.

12 hours ago, dibblejr said:

I have typed this reply so many times this month I could do it in my sleep/

Thank you so much for this detailed list. Sorry you had to repeat it again. For those of us that are "bulls in a China shop" and fail to find this information out 1st, how do you recover if you press Auto Configure? I think this may be the source of my communication problems.  I hate it when you can select something that gets you in trouble.  I know Com ports are finicky in Windows 10.  I'm running Pro software on a Surface Pro Machine which only has one USB3 port and don't know enough to recover. Auto Recover assigned Com 3.  When I try to connect to the Controller after a reboot, Com 3 appears in the window but I get a Port in Use message. The drop down selection only lists None, Com1 and Com3.  If I select Com1, the error goes away and I can connect to the Controller which it finds successfully after a Refresh, but that's the end of success and no strip control.  That's when the Listener states "Error setting com port"  which repeats once per second. Shown here.

Thanks again for the awesome information.

image.png.a9a941050b2dd06bca5d7b1a9324898a.png

1 hour ago, Orville said:

He states its working, but not correctly {strips lighting up incorrectly}.  And if his license level isn't PRO, and he's not using the 4.4.0 software suite or later, chances are it's never going to work, or function correctly until they upgrade to PRO and the correct software that handles Pixies.

It has to be 4.4.0 or higher or he would not see the pixie in the HU. They were not added to HU until 4.4.0

JR

Edited by dibblejr

7 minutes ago, azfrankp said:

Thank you so much for this detailed list. Sorry you had to repeat it again. For those of us that are "bulls in a China shop" and fail to find this information out 1st, how do you recover if you press Auto Configure? I think this may be the source of my communication problems.  I hate it when you can select something that gets you in trouble.  I know Com ports are finicky in Windows 10.  I'm running Pro software on a Surface Pro Machine which only has one USB3 port and don't know enough to recover. Auto Recover assigned Com 3.  When I try to connect to the Controller after a reboot, Com 3 appears in the window but I get a Port in Use message. The drop down selection only lists None, Com1 and Com3.  If I select Com1, the error goes away and I can connect to the Controller which it finds successfully after a Refresh, but that's the end of success and no strip control.  That's when the Listener states "Error setting com port"  which repeats once per second. Shown here.

Thanks again for the awesome information.

image.png.a9a941050b2dd06bca5d7b1a9324898a.png

Port In Use - Answer yes to tell Com Listener to stop using com 3. You want com3 for your regular network Once comm 3 is found NEVER HIT AUTO CONFIGURE (panic button)

Please follow my detailed step by step instructions.

You must have the Pro License to use the Enhanced ELOR which is required in order for your pixie controller to work properly , if at all

JR

Edited by dibblejr

1 hour ago, dibblejr said:

Port In Use - Answer yes to tell Com Listener to stop using com 3. You want com3 for your regular network Once comm 3 is found NEVER HIT AUTO CONFIGURE (panic button)

Sorry, still doesn't work.  I verified that Device Manager in Windows states USB is Com 3 (configured as Serial Port).  The status on listener is the same as previous with Error opening Com Port.  This immediately after "Connection Accepted. Client identified as Control Panel.  Refresh sees Unit one but no control of anything.

I'm thinking now that Firmware might be the problem but don't want to try updating with Listener showing error.  Should I try anyway?

29 minutes ago, azfrankp said:

Sorry, still doesn't work.  I verified that Device Manager in Windows states USB is Com 3 (configured as Serial Port).  The status on listener is the same as previous with Error opening Com Port.  This immediately after "Connection Accepted. Client identified as Control Panel.  Refresh sees Unit one but no control of anything.

I'm thinking now that Firmware might be the problem but don't want to try updating with Listener showing error.  Should I try anyway?

Com3 may be a real serial port.

In HU, pull down the list of Ports and see if there are others shown (the list only shows Functioning COM devices). Try the other