Light-O-Rama Forums

Startup problems with USB485B

Scott Stegall

I have finally gotten a 16 plug unit, controller, and software, as well as a zillion lights and extension cords. I wanted to get the computer and FM transmitter set up and next week my kids will help me with the lights and connections.

I installed the software for the 485B and then connected it and then went to the LOR software hardware utility. When I first open the utility I get an error that says "The serial port assigned to LOR has a problem. Open of serial port has failed. Error 8002 invalid port number"
In windows system I can see the port (confirmed by unplugging and replugging the cable) but the auto configure under set up comm port says it can't find it. I have tried manually setting the port, changing the port in windows and trying again, uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers for the port etc. I have tried everything in every FAQ I could find and the LOR software cant find the unit.
HELP! I have hundreds of dollars in equipment and lights and I can't get past step one!

Hmm should be able to locate the comm port on it's own.

I assume you have rebooted after the install of the drivers for the USB485B.

You did follow all the steps for installation of the drivers?....As I recall there are like 2 or 3 items that have to be installed to make it work correctly.

Chuck

I'm guessing you have a CTB16PC..

Try manually setting the com port field to 4. Connect the controller, click on ignore errors, and then select 1 on set new unit ID..

I believe I have heard of cases where the USB com port would not be recognized until after a controller with a programmed unit ID was connected...

- Kevin

Just checking a few things here: Windows still adds com4 when you plug in the adapter? Or the series I described above was done against the com port that was assigned to the adapter at the time?

At least the right half of the controller is powered up during these tests? The controller is cabled to the USB adapter? You have at least a blinking status LED on the controller? Does it go solid when the com port is manually set on the hardware utility?

- Kevin

Just checking a few things here: Windows still adds com4 when you plug in the adapter?

Yes... I watched in the harware manager. It dissapears when I unplug it and reappears when I plug it in.

Or the series I described above was done against the com port that was assigned to the adapter at the time?

Yes. I even manually changed the adapter to a different port and tried again.... same result.

At least the right half of the controller is powered up during these tests?

Both halves.

The controller is cabled to the USB adapter?

The controller is cabled to the adapter.

You have at least a blinking status LED on the controller?

Blinking red light

Does it go solid when the com port is manually set on the hardware utility?

Nope..... stays blinking red

Each time I do this at the very beginnin I get this message

The serial port assigned to LOR has a problem. You may need to select another port. Open of serial port has failed.

Do I have a bad controler?

That message is because your PC is currently configured to play shows on a com port that your PC is not allowing the HW utility to open. You are not getting as far as the controller.

One other idea to check.. You don't have the LOR control panel running at the same time you are trying to use the hardware utility? Only one application can open the com port at a time...

- Kevin

If you ran through the troubleshooting that Dan pointed you to, then it is time to contact support@lightorama.com. I had one of my controllers that had a bad comm chip. I was able to prove that by swapping with a known good board. However, if your not comfortable with trying that, I would not recommend it.

Chuck