Light-O-Rama Forums

Startup problems with USB485B

Scott Stegall

The fact that you are getting an error on the open of the serial port can be caused by a couple of things.

But I want to confirm that you took the following steps from the trouble shooting guide.

1. Unplugged the USB Adapter from the PC

2. Downloaded and ran the FTClean per instruction in the guide.

3. Downloaded and ran the USB Driver Installer: http://www.lightorama.com/downloads/CDM_2.02.04.exe

4. Waited for the dirver install to complete, It takes a while and give no feedback until it is finished.

Then once those steps from the guide were completed...

5. Plug the controller into the USB adapter, power up the controller and then plug the USB adapter into the PC. (did you hear a bong or see a new hardware found message?)

6. Start the Hardware Utility (ignore any errors when it starts) and click the Auto Configure button.

I went back and did it again... just to make sure and basically got the same error. When I start the LOR control panel I get:

The serial port (com3) assigned to LOR has a problem.
You may need to select another port

Open of serial port failed
Error:(8002) Invalid port number
While: Executing Port Open Property

I reassigned the port to 4 in the windows control panel and try again... same problem.

Just for clarity, after the driver software finished installing, and you plugged in the adapter, and you launched the hardware utility, which gives the expected error, did you have everything plugged in, and try autoconfigure?

Separately, if you have the adapter installed, and you know the com port, are you able to use some other communications tool to successfully open the port? Not that you will get any response from the adapter, but it is a test to see if some software or setting on your PC is capturing the port and preventing LOR from using it..

If the port can be opened, then there is also a chance that the com chip on your light controller is bad...

Check to make sure nothing is grabbing your com port, and if not, then contact support to see what else they want to try before they investigate the light controller...

Just for clarity, after the driver software finished installing, and you plugged in the adapter, and you launched the hardware utility, which gives the expected error, did you have everything plugged in, and try autoconfigure?

Yes.

Separately, if you have the adapter installed, and you know the com port, are you able to use some other communications tool to successfully open the port? Not that you will get any response from the adapter, but it is a test to see if some software or setting on your PC is capturing the port and preventing LOR from using it..

I'm not sure how I'd do that. Windows system tells me the port is functioning properly. When I manually reassign the adapter to another port (and I have tried 4 different ports) I continue to have the same problem

If the port can be opened, then there is also a chance that the com chip on your light controller is bad...

Check to make sure nothing is grabbing your com port, and if not, then contact support to see what else they want to try before they investigate the light controller...

The com chip is not expensive, shipping probably costs more. It is the 8 pin chip in a socket near the RJ connectors, a bit to the left. It just takes a thin straight blade screwdriver to extract.

Based on what I have heard of LOR support, I would expect that if you go through the troubleshooting steps with them, they may send you a new com chip for free.

I don't know if you have a favorite terminal package like ProCom, or similar. That would work to try and open the port, or a package called PuTTY, which is primarily a free SSH client, the latest versions also provide for opening serial ports...

- Kevin