Light-O-Rama Forums

How many Pixie8 Controllers do I need??

MNLights

I hope someone can help me.  I am having a company install 12v Smart RGB pixels on my house and they say they will work with LOR.  I have purchased 2 Pixie* controllers based on other threads and want to be sure I have what is needed to run them.  Below is a picture of my house where the pixels will be installed.  Will 2 Pixie8 controllers be enough for this?  Thanks for anyones help.

House.jpg

You need to tell us a few more details.

Type of pixel, eg WS2811.

How many pixels, and spacing.

Current draw or Wattage of each pixel.

The location of the start of the strings is important and will dictate where and how many controllers are going to be required.

Pixel strings are also directional and data can only be fed from one end. Each pixel should have a direction arrow on the tiny circuit board inside to indicate the direction of flow. 

agree with points above, the key is the type of pixel being used and where you can place the controllers.   Power and distance are not your friends. 

I have bullets on 3" centers.  That makes a string of 100 : 25' (12.5' /50 ). S if you feed at the middle that would be 50' (25 right, 25 left).   15' cable to the controllers dongle (because I am using 100 nodes without Power injection)  Draw 15' radius circles from the feeds,  that is where you can place controllers. You want the circles to touch for least amount of controllers.

OTOH  Don't rule out Pixie 4' use. Bigger is not always better 😀

OH And WHERE you want and can place controllers (remember Snow and Rain need to be kept out: Upright mount if not under eves. )

Here is what I do know.  The spacing is 9"between each pixel and each pixel is .6 watts (according to their web site).  They (Trimlight) said they are mounting their boards (which I will not use) inside of the garage to protect it so I would assume I would have to mount the Pixie8's there as well.  They will do all of the power injection that is needed.  What I am waiting on is the type of pixels.  Since the LOR sale is ending today I went ahead and bought 2 Pixie8's as I heard 1 Pixie16 is not always the best option.  I hope 2 of the Pixie8 will work

On 9/7/2021 at 9:58 AM, PhilMassey said:

You need to tell us a few more details.

Type of pixel, eg WS2811.

How many pixels, and spacing.

Current draw or Wattage of each pixel.

The location of the start of the strings is important and will dictate where and how many controllers are going to be required.

Pixel strings are also directional and data can only be fed from one end. Each pixel should have a direction arrow on the tiny circuit board inside to indicate the direction of flow. 

I was told today that the pixels being used are the UCS1903 pixels at .6 watts per bulb at a 9" spacing.  They did not know yet how many pixels that would be for the whole roof but will get that info to me. The location of the controller box they will install is located on the small garage on the bottom left of the picture marked with a blue X.  They only plan to install one box for the entire roof line in yellow and will power inject when needed.  This seems far away from the other side of the house but that is how they are going to install.

527763611_House2.thumb.JPG.182a2af59da4675ea656c058bf856904.JPG

Nine inch spacing is quite a lot. My temporary show uses three and a half in on the house and windows and that is fairly typical but some folks use less. The  nine inch spacing is partly how they are getting across the whole house but they will need PI with 0.6W pixels.

I'm not familiar with UCS 1903 Pixels but looking on Google they are physically bigger than  the pixels most of us use. My Falcon controllers do not support that pixel type but I can't speak for LOR controllers as I don't have one, but I don't see it in the data sheet.

• Like 1

I just looked in my Pixie user manual, and LOR has the UCS1903 listed as the same as the WS2811 chip, provided I'm reading the chart correctly.

Daryl

1 hour ago, Daryl said:

I just looked in my Pixie user manual, and LOR has the UCS1903 listed as the same as the WS2811 chip, provided I'm reading the chart correctly.

Daryl

Correct.

Reember if things don’t work right select the other hz 

There at 400/800

JR

5 hours ago, Daryl said:

Daryl

I received my two Pixie8 boxes that each came with a manual and I did see the UCS1903 is the same as WS2811. Thanks for letting me know. 

4 hours ago, dibblejr said:

Correct.

Reember if things don’t work right select the other hz 

There at 400/800

JR

This is good to know. Thanks for the tip

9 hours ago, MNLights said:

This is good to know. Thanks for the tip

One more tip

If your pixie came with instructions that told you to install a dip switch in a certain set of pins and yoi did - remove that dip switch.

Install it on JP2 for pixie8’s this will allow you to transfer data from one pixie to other controller (daisy chained). 

JR

36 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

One more tip

If your pixie came with instructions that told you to install a dip switch in a certain set of pins and yoi did - remove that dip switch.

Install it on JP2 for pixie8’s this will allow you to transfer data from one pixie to other controller (daisy chained). 

JR

What is JP2?

3 hours ago, MNLights said:

What is JP2?

Look On the controller there is JP2 in front of the network jacks

JP2 allows data to transfer to or from other controllers.

Without JP2 daisy chaining will not work.

Also In my previous post i mistaking said “dip switches” that should say jumper (the black jumper that came in a bag with fuses and connectors).

JR

Edited by dibblejr

Thanks for the heads up @dibblejr, glad I follow some of these threads. I just looked at my Pixie 8 for my 16X50 Tree, I just installed the JP2 jumper. Last year the Pixie 8 was at the end, not a big deal it worked. This year it will be first in line for 2 Pixie 2's and 1 Pixie 4, that would have been a pain....

Do all the Pixie's 4/8/16 arrive with the JP2 not installed? Would there be a reason they leave them off, just curious....

I am Confused. JP2 is accessory power to devices like the Director.  Leaving it out prevents  cross powering other controllers.

My Gen2 Pixies work without this jumper (Only Gen 2's have it)

1 hour ago, TheDucks said:

I am Confused. JP2 is accessory power to devices like the Director.  Leaving it out prevents  cross powering other controllers.

My Gen2 Pixies work without this jumper (Only Gen 2's have it)

JP2 is needed for his 8/ 16 and 4 All pixies have the jumper but depending on the pixie model it is a different pin

Your v2 pixie2 may be dif 

JR

Edited by dibblejr

5 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

JP2 is needed for his 8/ 16 and 4 All pixies have the jumper but depending on the pixie model it is a different pin

Your v2 pixie2 may be dif 

JR

I have some gen2 Pixie4 and 8 (no pixie2... yet 🙃)