Light-O-Rama Forums

Anyone else trying out the new Firefly units?

tboerjan

beeiilll wrote:

Well I finally got around to setting up my new FireFly string and playing with it last night!

These things are pretty cool I must admit. However I did run into a problem with it when I installed the D-Light hardware utility to set it up, it screwed up my comm setup for LOR's USB adapter.

That was fun to figure out - NOT. Just an FYI for anyone who is going to try out one of these. Don't use The D-Light hardware utility! You will still need the Firmware updater though.

Now a question for all you "veterans" who are using these strings.

Does anyone have a "cheat sheet" or listing for the pixels to allow one to somewhat quickly determine which pixels to turn on for various colors when sequencing these? There has to be something out there that helps do this quickly I'm sure.

Other than that I am having a lot of fun watching the lights go around me here as I figure out some of the basic setup and running of the string. I can't wait to see how this is going to look as a Martin star on my mega tree this year!

Thanks for all the info in this thread and the hard work that you all have endured with getting these things going. 48 channels of sequencing to get one string is certainly a daunting task.

Bill

I use this as a cheat sheet for color picking for now. I think there are a couple sequencing programs that actaully have a color picker in the program already. I am sure S2 will have one soon.....

BTW. You have to have the D-Light HWU to be able to set the controller #.

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thebaronn

• Paul Roberson

• Duke

• tboerjan

Thanks Paul

I guess I will just have to keep playing with it and figure things out.

Yes I forgot about having to set the unit ID number through the hardware utility. So how did you keep the D-light utility from messing with your LOR comm setup?

I ended up doing a restore on my system (Windows XP Pro) and then reinstalling the LOR USB drivers for the RS485 adapter to get things working again. I really hate to reinstall the D-light hardware utility again if it is going to mess with things. I've got enough to figure out without having to play with the comm assignments all the time as well. :?

I just set the FireFly up as controller 20, 21, and 22 and left it that way. I hopefully won't have to play with that for awhile. Although I can already see a couple of more FireFly units in the future.

Ahhh, the fun just never ends!!!! :(

Bill

I can't remember having any comm problems between LOR and D-Light. If you have access to another computer you could put the D-Light HWU, and firmware updater on that computer just to set controller ID#s and update firmware. When/if you update the firmware it will reset the controller ID#s to the orginal #s.

Did you also get the D-Light USB to 485 adapter? You have to have it also to do a firmware update.

• 2 weeks later...

Could someone please recap what is needed to make the firefly compatible with LOR? It looks like some are able to change the ID without the use of a D-light usb to 485 adapter. Can this be done using the LOR 485 adapter? Must the firmware be changed (updated?) from the Legacy mode that comes pre-installed in order to control it with LOR?. I just recieved two of the fireflies and want to try some basic programing. I am having no luck trying to locate or change ID's using the LOR adapter. I did not purchase the D-light adapter.

Steve

Paul Roberson wrote:

I can't remember having any comm problems between LOR and D-Light. If you have access to another computer you could put the D-Light HWU, and firmware updater on that computer just to set controller ID#s and update firmware. When/if you update the firmware it will reset the controller ID#s to the orginal #s.

Did you also get the D-Light USB to 485 adapter? You have to have it also to do a firmware update.

I did not purchase the d-light adapter (only needed for firmware updates)
I had to download the d-light hardware utility though.
Connect 1firefly to the network, use the utility to set the address.
If you choose 3, it will set it on 3,4,5.
If you use 21, it will set it on 21, 22, 23

I have never had the fireflies respond to the LOR hardware utility.
But they sequence just fine.

Good luck

thebaronn wrote:

I did not purchase the d-light adapter (only needed for firmware updates)
I had to download the d-light hardware utility though.
Connect 1firefly to the network, use the utility to set the address.
If you choose 3, it will set it on 3,4,5.
If you use 21, it will set it on 21, 22, 23

I have never had the fireflies respond to the LOR hardware utility.
But they sequence just fine.

Good luck

Yes, they do not "locate" using the LOR hardware utility.

Thank you. I just set the addresses. Now off to my LOR software to add some chanels and try a few demos. ( I was trying to discover the fireflies in the LOR utility. That doesn't work!!!!)

Steve

So these firefly units are not DMX? I originally was staying away from them because I thought there would be massive ICHAN (intelligent dmx channel) issues with them with the LOR limit being 64. (Each arch is 16 pixels X 3 colors = 48)

For those not familiar with ICHAN, can you fade 4 or 5 firefly arches up and down simultaneously with all pixels white? If yes, then it appears the ICHAN issue doesn't apply to these things. After reviewing the D-light site, there is no mention of DMX, so I must be really confused about these. I think the disconnect came from the programming being identical to how you would program a DMX fixture, and me never researching it since I thought it wouldn't work well on LOR.

Also, are the V3s operating stable now that it's June? Or are you still having to do some workarounds?

the v-3 strings work great with ver 1.3 firmware. you do need a D-Light usb-rs485 to upgrade.

for those that have comm issues with D-Light's H/W Utility, make sure before you exit H/W Utlity you hit the "Disconnect" button and all will well. if you dont it wont release the port and it gets fun after that.

Looks like FF sequencing did not get any easier with the latest (6-16) S2 release. I am not seeing a color picker.;)

Paul Roberson wrote:

Looks like FF sequencing did not get any easier with the latest (6-16) S2 release. I am not seeing a color picker.;)

Serious?
Don't tell me that....
Well, as long as I don't download it, I can believe it is there!

I honestly don't ever remember Bob saying he was going to add a color picker. I'll bring it up in the beta forum and see what Bob says.

Ponddude wrote:

I honestly don't ever remember Bob saying he was going to add a color picker. I'll bring it up in the beta forum and see what Bob s
ays.

Somewhere dan makes a mention of it like "we may need to look into that" but it was in passing.
But that was around Christmas and I doubt if it would be in this soon!
We knew it was a long shot!!

Then again, I may have been wanting a color picker so much that I only think I saw a post like that!

It was more than in passing for me.

I asked about a color picker in an email (not to Bob though) and my answer was.

"Its a few months out, but will be in the first half of the year"

There is also a post form Dan on PC saying it is coming!!:cool:

I just hope it is like what I have explained, and not what I see some of the other sequencing software already have.

Paul Roberson wrote:

I just hope it is like what I have explained, and not what I see some of the other sequencing software already have.

Okay so an RGB color picker has to be coming soon!!!

http://lightorama.com/Documents/CR150D.pdf

http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/forum76/19213.html

Although I cannot see anything on the new version of S2!!!!!

So what do you guys think of this??

thebaronn wrote:

Paul Roberson wrote:

I think there is one coming soon(er or later) for S2, and that LSP and Aurora already have it.:shock:

With the CR150D coming out S2 will most def. have to have a RGB color picker.

Paul Roberson wrote:

thebaronn wrote:
Paul Roberson wrote:

I think there is one coming soon(er or later) for S2, and that LSP and Aurora already have it.:shock:

With the CR150D coming out S2 will most def. have to have a RGB color picker.

i do not look forward to re-sequencing my arches!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I have asked the question many times about the possibility of an RGB color picker in regards to the new LED strip.

http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/forum89/19281-2.html

Never received a definite response. But Dan's last post basically sums it up, he always mentions that you will need one channel per color.

I was gungho about the new product, but now not so much so.

I have been toying with aurora and I think that I am going to go with that this year. I do like a lot of the optional cut and paste features and well, an RGB color picker is just fantastic.

I couldnt even get a response on if the new led ribbon is compatible with aurora...

Very disappointed...........

thebaronn wrote:

I have asked the question many times about the possibility of an RGB color picker in regards to the new LED strip.

http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/forum89/19281-2.html

Never received a definite response. But Dan's last post basically sums it up, he always mentions that you will need one channel per color.

I was gungho about the new product, but now not so much so.

I have been toying with aurora and I think that I am going to go with that this year. I do like a lot of the optional cut and paste features and well, an RGB color picker is just fantastic.

I couldnt even get a response on if the new led ribbon is compatible with aurora...

Very disappointed...........

Have you checked out LSP?

If LOR does not introduce a color picker in S2 I think that will be a big mistake. People will either not buy a CCR, or will stop using S2 and look for a better alternative.

I thought I had seen talk of CCR taking 50 channels of programming in S2. I will have to look for that comment.

Is that what you use?

Im just looking for a alternative to the 3 channels per color!!

Right now my plans consist of 16 firefly and that takes up 768 channels, grrrrr.

I sequence one song.............OMG!!!!!Thats when I realized I need something else.

Lightshow pro eh? Is that what you use?