Light-O-Rama Forums

set channel max brightness?

peoplet

Is there a way to set an overall max brightness on one channel?

I have one set of lights that are a bit too bright and I would like to avoid editing all the sequences if possible. Is there controller setting or something in the software that I can change?

if s5, you can set the dimming curve for the prop in the preview.  Just double click to open it.  It will then affect every sequence it is in.

I tried to set dimming curves on my new singing pixel bulbs that are run off a PIXCON16.  It seemed to have no effect.  Instead I had to go through the sequence and use the "intensity" setting (all the way down to 10%).  The down side to using "intensity" is that I can now barely see the props when playing back in the sequence editor in the playback window.  What am I doing wrong?  What is the sequence programming relationship between dimming curves and intensity?

21 minutes ago, hasslerk said:

I tried to set dimming curves on my new singing pixel bulbs that are run off a PIXCON16.  It seemed to have no effect.  Instead I had to go through the sequence and use the "intensity" setting (all the way down to 10%).  The down side to using "intensity" is that I can now barely see the props when playing back in the sequence editor in the playback window.  What am I doing wrong?  What is the sequence programming relationship between dimming curves and intensity?

i don't have a pixcon16 but i recall seeing the dimming curve for it is set in the hardware, the dimming curve in the preview is for devices that don't support it.   Intensity is a relative brightness for the sequence, and is basically after any dimming has been applied.  

Thanks for that advice; I wondered if that may be the issue.  I will connect the PIXCON16 back up via NP and see what all is in there.  I am also working in a pixel tree to my Christmas show this year but that will be run off a Pixie16, so I should see a difference using Dimming Curves.

23 hours ago, hasslerk said:

Thanks for that advice; I wondered if that may be the issue.  I will connect the PIXCON16 back up via NP and see what all is in there.  I am also working in a pixel tree to my Christmas show this year but that will be run off a Pixie16, so I should see a difference using Dimming Curves.

You have to use the same settings in S5 to set the brightness with the pixie series controller.

So if you need to start practicing with that now.

JR

• 3 weeks later...

I plotted the default LOR pixel curves (30, 40, 50 and 100) the other day.  It helped me to see what is going on and how I may want to utilize the "Intensity" toolbar.  I have now set all my Pixie devices to "Pixel Curve 30" as the default.

LOR Pixel Curves.png

• Thanks 1

Thank you @peoplet for asking the questions, I was looking to be answered.

Thank you @hasslerk for your time spent answering this question. I bought 2 of the LOR singing faces and their brightness overpowered other parts of my display. I changed my Dimming curves to the Pixel 30 dimming curve on 1 singing face while leaving the other normal and the brightness difference was noticeable. Set them both to the Pixel 30 dimming curve, now not so overbearing (my neighbor will thank me).

I never updated my posts from above.  I set my Pixies (4, 8 and 16) to "Pixel Curve 30" in the S5 prop definitions, and set the PIXCON16 to a max intensity of 30 via NP on those channels I am currently using.  I also set all my outputs on my AC controllers to Linear 30 which makes the entire show reduced in intensity this year.  I find that even at that level, the pixels are still too bright to video.  I will now experiment with the intensity settings in a sequence to determine the lowest but brightest setting they can be at to get a good video (honestly I do not know what all of you do to video your shows).  I might also backward engineer the curve and create a "Pixel Curve 15" to apply (unless someone else already has one).

On 11/22/2020 at 7:53 PM, peoplet said:

Been playing around with the curves to reduce the maximum output for one channel. I can either get the channel to not turn off at all or doesn't seem to dim the LED string. Any help would be welcome.

LOR-Curve03.ldc 4.93 kB · 0 downloads LOR-Curve02.ldc 5.12 kB · 0 downloads

The .ldc file seems to be a different animal than the dimming curves we discussed after your post.  I only have one of these in the S5 release and it is called "LOR-Curve01.ldc" and is located in the Hardware subdirectory.  I opened the one I have and both of yours and am guessing they are supposed to have 1024 values, with a range between 0 and 1023.  The dimming curves discussed and as released in S5 have 256 values between 0 and 255 (for full 100% intensity) and are utilized and set in Preview.  You can see how the other ranges are affected in the image I posted above.  I am not familiar how or where the .ldc file is utilized, but have now incorporated the Dimming Curves in preview with great results.

I noticed that on AC controllers you can set different dimming curves for each output.  Maybe this is where you should try experimenting.