Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR Pixel Tree... need help making it work

Norcal

Hi, I have an LOR 16x25 plug & play Pixel tree that i cant get to work. i can get the Hardware Utility to to find it, solid red light comes on, but just tryin to do a simple test in the HU i will not light any pixels. i have had this for 4 season and have never been able to get this to light pixels.. please help!

Are you trying to use the pixel console part of the Hardware Utility?

Here are a few screen captures I did a while ago if the above question did not make sense.

Controlling_Pixels_using_HU-1.png

In your case, I assume you would be selecting the third item "CCB/CCP/Pixie"

Controlling_Pixels_using_HU-2.png

Ignore the Controller type and Universe in this one.  I did the capture for someone trying to control something via E1.31

Controlling_Pixels_using_HU-5.png

Controlling_Pixels_using_HU-6.png

By the way, I see you have created a 51st state in your profile.  :)

Open HU Utility and click Auto Config (if you dont already have your comm port set), then click refresh! Once HU finds your controller this is what it should look like.

image.png.eb61f1471c23a3d48ec95c14904b65c6.png

Simply select a port and click the "On at 100%" Button and your pixels should light. 

Let me know if this does not work?

10 hours ago, Norcal said:

Hi, I have an LOR 16x25 plug & play Pixel tree that i cant get to work. i can get the Hardware Utility to to find it, solid red light comes on, but just tryin to do a simple test in the HU i will not light any pixels. i have had this for 4 season and have never been able to get this to light pixels.. please help!

Follow my instructions without skipping any steps.

If you do this you will have lights

What does your Config (button)  screen look like?

I suspect wrong chip type set or a wiring error?

What happens if you press (and release)  the white button on the Pixie8?

What happens if you press (and release)  the white button onthe Pixie8? 

No pixels light up, LED light on the controller stay steady then starts Rapid flashing after about six seconds 

thanks.

CD51D98B-4799-4F76-9453-AB91172B7417.jpeg

Ensure you do not have a fire wall of any type running

Windows defender has been the biggest culprit lately for people I have helped.

For some reason it seems to reactivate itself after a shut down/ re start

The image you posted above is very blurry 

If you get the free Camtasia to record your screen and host the video to YouTube or Vimeo it may be of more use

I do not rely on the pixel console test to work. It sometimes just doesn’t work.

The best way to test at the HU level is on the test page. The main page once your controller is found and set up in the CCR/ pixie config tab.

I have never had 100% success with the test you are using

If that doesn’t work a test sequence is a must just to verif what you are experiencing. They may work .

I would suggest a “factory reset”. Power on cotroller

Push and hold the white button

Keep pushing the white button and unplug the controller do not release the butyon

Afyer the led goes off plug the unit back in and when the led flashes fast - release the button

Use my written instructions above and start all over

Remove the jumper that came with instructions to install it as well then start all over as if it was a new unit.

Do not have any other controllers or networks plugged in and do not push the panic “auto config” button.

A lot of people think “I got this” and skip a step and the one step that is skipped will be the one that created a problem.

If that does not work message me and I will give you my cell to call, but try my written directions first.

I posted the link above. About 200 steps . In your case I would not recommend skipping to the video.

JR

36 minutes ago, Norcal said:

What happens if you press (and release)  the white button onthe Pixie8? 

No pixels light up, LED light on the controller stay steady then starts Rapid flashing after about six seconds 

thanks.

CD51D98B-4799-4F76-9453-AB91172B7417.jpeg

That is the most basic of Pixie-String Fails. No Network needed (the steady Red. Rapid Flashing is test mode).

Triple check each string

(Dongle plug : 3 Wires are : (screws left.) Common on bottom, Data, skip, +12V

Are the screws tight, is the plug aligned with all 4 pins  (easy to miss on a Pixie 4 🥴 ) and with everything attached and powerd up : 12V  (having a simple multi-meter is a necessary item)at the screw tems (checks the port fuses)

Jumpers: There should not be any needed  NEAR the Power in terminals.

You might try a Power up RESET  Hold button, the apply power  release when the led starts flashing

Power up reset was preformed, still no pixels lighting up, recheck all  8 pixels connectS to the tree All tight, I get a small flash of light from the pixels as I rechecked & replugged them in. And connections inside the box seam solid, no jumper wires coming off the + side in the box,This was purchased new four years ago,And I did not remove any wires on the initial install,I also have never been able to get this thing to work.

thanks for the response guys.

4B908687-D423-4CB9-A89C-C7D23039BBC5.jpeg

F2573BA8-CB70-4C3B-A6DD-CA7478DED18B.jpeg

2 hours ago, Norcal said:

Power up reset was preformed, still no pixels lighting up, recheck all  8 pixels connectS to the tree All tight, I get a small flash of light from the pixels as I rechecked & replugged them in. And connections inside the box seam solid, no jumper wires coming off the + side in the box,This was purchased new four years ago,And I did not remove any wires on the initial install,I also have never been able to get this thing to work.

Are you using dumb nodes by chance?

If not what nodes are they with the 4 wire connectors?

If they are dumb nodes- problem solved. You cannot use dumb nodes on a pixie controller.

LOR didn’t have that kit 4 years ago.

I believe that tree kit came out in 2018.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

This I what I purchased,I think I purchased it in 2016 but it could’ve been 2017

clearance-items-4.gif trans_1x1.gif yhst-1552586516070_2270_224

Black Pixel Tree Kit - 16 strips of 25 pixels

RGB Products
Pixel Tree header
PixelTreeKit
Multi Pixel Devices
Pixel Tree Picture
Filler line

Plug-n-Show - Includes ribbons, controller, all tree hardware.
  • 6'6" pixel tree with 400 pixels. Includes everything necessary to setup the tree. 
  • Pixie8 controller & UL recognized MeanWell power supply mounted in a UL list enclosure 
  • Pixels are mounted in strips ready to hang on tree ( Save and do it yourself ).
  • Stake template provides perfect spacking for the 16 strings and the 3 support cables.
  • Controller mounts to pole inside tree
  • Special adustable straps can be tightened and loosened to get tree level and straight
  • Staked stub straps can remain frozen in the ground until spring allowing for easy takedown regardless of the temperature.

Assembly is easy. Detailed instructions are included. A summary of assembly:

• Find location and drive center stake into center pole support
  • Laydown spacing template and drive support cable and pixel string stakes through the 3 hole stap stubs. 
  • Place center pole and 3 support cables. Level pole by adjusting  straps. 
  • Connect controller to center pole using releasable straps. 
  • Place top on tree with pixel strings attached. This is 6'6" you may need a ladder. 
  • Connect straps to staked strap stubs using adjusting straps. Do not tighten
  • Plug strips into controller.
  • Tighten straps crisscrossing the tree. Tighten strip 1 then strip 8, strip 2 then strip 9...
You can save by doing some of the assembly yourself. The listed price includes: proper spacing and snapping the pixels into the pixel strips. The strips are then cut to length  and doubling up at the ends for extra support. Using scraps from the pixel/strap assembly 19 stake strip stubs are cut and folded. In additon the strips are connected to the top ring. 

You can save $50 by doing these assembly steps yourself. Select the "Strip Assembly - Done by Customer" option below.
Note: Software is not included. Need Software? We recommend that you purchase the Generic Starter Package to receive the software at a discounted price. 

IMPORTANT: THIS PIXEL TREE USES BLACK PIXELS

2 hours ago, Norcal said:

Are you using dumb nodes by chance?

If not what nodes are they with the 4 wire connectors?

If they are dumb nodes- problem solved. You cannot use dumb nodes on a pixie controller.

JR

5 minutes ago, Norcal said:

This I what I purchased,I think I purchased it in 2016 but it could’ve been 2017

clearance-items-4.gif trans_1x1.gif yhst-1552586516070_2270_224

Black Pixel Tree Kit - 16 strips of 25 pixels

RGB Products
Pixel Tree header
PixelTreeKit
Multi Pixel Devices
Pixel Tree Picture
Filler line

Plug-n-Show - Includes ribbons, controller, all tree hardware.
  • 6'6" pixel tree with 400 pixels. Includes everything necessary to setup the tree. 
  • Pixie8 controller & UL recognized MeanWell power supply mounted in a UL list enclosure 
  • Pixels are mounted in strips ready to hang on tree ( Save and do it yourself ).
  • Stake template provides perfect spacking for the 16 strings and the 3 support cables.
  • Controller mounts to pole inside tree
  • Special adustable straps can be tightened and loosened to get tree level and straight
  • Staked stub straps can remain frozen in the ground until spring allowing for easy takedown regardless of the temperature.

Assembly is easy. Detailed instructions are included. A summary of assembly:

• Find location and drive center stake into center pole support
  • Laydown spacing template and drive support cable and pixel string stakes through the 3 hole stap stubs. 
  • Place center pole and 3 support cables. Level pole by adjusting  straps. 
  • Connect controller to center pole using releasable straps. 
  • Place top on tree with pixel strings attached. This is 6'6" you may need a ladder. 
  • Connect straps to staked strap stubs using adjusting straps. Do not tighten
  • Plug strips into controller.
  • Tighten straps crisscrossing the tree. Tighten strip 1 then strip 8, strip 2 then strip 9...
You can save by doing some of the assembly yourself. The listed price includes: proper spacing and snapping the pixels into the pixel strips. The strips are then cut to length  and doubling up at the ends for extra support. Using scraps from the pixel/strap assembly 19 stake strip stubs are cut and folded. In additon the strips are connected to the top ring. 

You can save $50 by doing these assembly steps yourself. Select the "Strip Assembly - Done by Customer" option below.
Note: Software is not included. Need Software? We recommend that you purchase the Generic Starter Package to receive the software at a discounted price. 

IMPORTANT: THIS PIXEL TREE USES BLACK PIXELS

I am very familiar with that tree kit. I helped a lot of people configure them and create a vis for them before Brian created the good working vis file.

I also have smart square nodes from LOR and they have 3 wires.

What is the info on the tag on the lights?

Nog having all of the information will not work.

Ive helped 100’s of people confugure their pixie controllers 2/4/8/16 and every kit  and something is not adding up here. There are 4 wires in those nodes unless I am blind. That adds up to very early smart nodes or dumb nodes.

The tag info from the nodes will be a great piece of information here.

JR

If you look at the LOR store pictures you can also see 3 wires. Not 4

Looking at your green connectors there are 4 wires.

Edited by dibblejr

Those may be the older CCR /CCB with 4  wires.   Isn't ther a special chip type setting for those.

Weren't they also 5V?

5 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Those may be the older CCR /CCB with 4  wires.   Isn't ther a special chip type setting for those.

Weren't they also 5V?

That add would be incorrect then and his picture shows square nodes - i think. They are not very good quality pics when I zoom in. 

JR

10 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Weren't they also 5V?

Yes and yes, but the pic in the beginning of this thread shows, square nodes. So not the ccps or ccbs.

If he had the ccbs he would have to have the jumper in place and set them up as well. But they are def square nodes pictured.

JR

The nodes (pixels) have 3 three wires, 4 wires or appears to be connected to the controller, chip board have 12v printed on it.