Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR Pixel Tree... need help making it work

Norcal

1 hour ago, Norcal said:

The nodes (pixels) have 3 three wires, 4 wires or appears to be connected to the controller, chip board have 12v printed on it.

So they are incorrect pig tails.

The green terminal lugs have 4 wires, if the pixels have 3 that is the problem.

Four wire pigtails could work if you trace the pinouts. They are typically old smart pixels or more common now dumb nodes.

Did you actually purchase this from LOR or someone else or build it yourself?

They are incorrect pigtails.

Knowing what I know I could make it work (probably) however if you actually purchased this from LOR you should probably speak to them and see what they tell you.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

4 minutes ago, Norcal said:

I found the receipt for the tree, I purchased this tree during the summer sale 8-23-2017

I still find it confusing that a 3 wire plug even mates with a 4 wire pigtail. 

Those 2 nodes that are on do make me think SMART, but possibly blown.  ,

BUT 4 pins is LOR's is key for 5 Volt (even if 3 wires are really used..  IIRC the OP said he measured 12V  😲  Not good if 5V strings

1 hour ago, Norcal said:

I found the receipt for the tree, I purchased this tree during the summer sale 8-23-2017

In the end if everything was correct and set up you should/ would have lights.

It appears if all of the information you are providing is accurate that a mistake could have been made in this controller being it is dumb node pigtails and smart node lights.

Did you ever contact LOR about your problem?

And your timing is correct as far a purchasing during that sale but most people got those trees later in that year. Hence all of the questions I answered  when they starting getting them at their homes. Time flies when you are having fun.

Are you in a spot where you could send me the controller and I can test it with my lights.

Or I may have 8 LOR 3 wire pig tails I can send you but that would do no good if you don’t have lights.

I have plenty of nodes and willing to bench test and give you the pigtails if it works. 
I will shoot you a PM.

I am interested in seeing what is the difference. I have several of those pixie 8’s on my shelf and several in the show. 

JR

I just sent you a message with my info. If you can get it to me I can get it back to you depending on the issue.

I have a spare pixie 8 so if I can’t get it to work I will donate it to you.

JR

19 hours ago, dibblejr said:

So they are incorrect pig tails.

The green terminal lugs have 4 wires, if the pixels have 3 that is the problem.

Four wire pigtails could work if you trace the pinouts. They are typically old smart pixels or more common now dumb nodes.

Did you actually purchase this from LOR or someone else or build it yourself?

They are incorrect pigtails.

Knowing what I know I could make it work (probably) however if you actually purchased this from LOR you should probably speak to them and see what they tell you.

JR

JR go read the Pixel Connector datasheet.  4 wires are fine (clock is unused at the string)

@ NORCAL not what is Printed.  What is MEASURED or post the part number of the Supply if you can read it. Otherwise you need a DVM

( I have almost 60 years of Electronics experience. When I ask questions, it leads me in a direction towards a diagnosis. )

55 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

JR go read the Pixel Connector datasheet.  4 wires are fine (clock is unused at the string)

@ NORCAL not what is Printed.  What is MEASURED or post the part number of the Supply if you can read it. Otherwise you need a DVM

( I have almost 60 years of Electronics experience. When I ask questions, it leads me in a direction towards a diagnosis. )

It has me perplexed so he is going to send it to me for evaluation, configuration or replacement. 

As mentioned mine has 3 wire on both sides.

I don't like to read much, not a whole lot of time. But when I get my hands on it I can get it to work if its not broke. If its broke its as simple as a swap out and quick test. Should be done within minutes after I receive it. Much lass time than we have spent on here trying to figure it out.

After several years it will be nice to see the OP have lights for Christmas.

JR

• 2 weeks later...

Update

Pixie8 V2 (no dip switches) my favorite pixies. 5 volt psu and pixels 

After a difficult time with Fedex I finally received the controller and lights today.

Opened the box and started testing.

Had power, had unit ID (good). Connected the OP's light strings (one strand) all a very light blue. Had no operational control through HU.

Thought it strange.

PSU checked fine, All fuses good, everything should have worked  but it didnt.

Did a fw update from 1.05 to 1.06, no behavior change.

Checked all wires good.

Figured I would change everything so took my 12v psu and installed it along with a pigtail and known working lights. 

Had the same blue lights but they were very bright.

Lead me to a bad triac. I took a triac out of my spare pixie16's, plugged it in and my lights worked as they should.

Disconnected my psu and cables and reconnected his.

Low and behold everything work as factory new.

It was great to inform the OP his tree is fully functional and I sent him a video.

Now he will have it for Christmas.

JR

• The topic was locked