Light-O-Rama Forums

Hardware Utility does not Pick up Pixie16

filetme

45 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

There should be +12 on the Port + to Neg at the board PSU in.

BTW is com Listener running  (the CL icon is on the taskbar)

Yes.  The com listener is fine.  I have tried switching power sources.  I have tried various RS485s.  I have tried multiple CAT5 cables.  All with the same result.

Even if the problem was between a port and the controller ... shouldn't the LED be blinking?

The fact that NOTHING is happening at LED1 ... does that mean that the controller card is bad?

Have you preformed the Board Reset (Hold the button while applying power. The LED should flash fast ,then you can release the button)?

6 hours ago, TheDucks said:

Have you preformed the Board Reset (Hold the button while applying power. The LED should flash fast ,then you can release the button)?

Yes, I have tried that.

Holding the reset button does not seem to do anything ... neither when power cycling nor during regular operation.    The LED1 does not light up at ANY time.

6 hours ago, TheDucks said:

Yes, I have tried that.

Holding the reset button does not seem to do anything ... neither when power cycling nor during regular operation.    The LED1 does not light up at ANY time.

This morning the HU is now finding 0 units so overnight the Pixie has become completely unresponsive.  I am pretty sure the board has gone bad but how could one even know if this is the case?  

Unfortunately my show starts tomorrow night so this is pretty rotten timing for the board to die.

I have a technician looking at the board right now and he believes that the voltage regulator VR2 is loaded or shorted.

He is looking for the schematics does anyone know where they can be found?  The manual is not really that helpful.

Helping a loot of people with pixies.

Some times when it finds a unit ID and unknown device you have antivirus running.

I just helped someone two days ago with this again.

He said he had nothing but after all else failed a reboot showed Windows Defender has blocked the HU.

Once he quit Defender all was well.

The other problem I have seen as well,  user connects the pcb directly to Ethernet port on computer- instantly fried the pixie16. Since you have no status indicator light this is my opinion.

JR

23 hours ago, Don said:

Not flashing or solid? To me that would indicate either a fatal problem with the board, or a fuse somewhere that's loose/blown.

4 hours ago, filetme said:

I have a technician looking at the board right now and he believes that the voltage regulator VR2 is loaded or shorted.

Sounds like something fatal with the board. I'm about 95%ish sure that you will need to contact LOR and work out a replacement.

10 hours ago, Don said:

Sounds like something fatal with the board. I'm about 95%ish sure that you will need to contact LOR and work out a replacement.

.Yea by the end of the day he had pretty much narrowed it down to issues in the PIC DSPIC33EP512MU810-I/PT

Not much I can do about that :S

2 hours ago, filetme said:

.Yea by the end of the day he had pretty much narrowed it down to issues in the PIC DSPIC33EP512MU810-I/PT

Not much I can do about that :S

Ouch! You can't just go anyplace for a PIC (configured).

Just now, TheDucks said:

Ouch! You can't just go anyplace for a PIC (configured).

That was going to be my next question ... I we purchased a PIC replacement (because you can buy them almost anywhere) ... how do we load the Pixie config/code onto it?  Has anyone every done that?

22 minutes ago, filetme said:

That was going to be my next question ... I we purchased a PIC replacement (because you can buy them almost anywhere) ... how do we load the Pixie config/code onto it?  Has anyone every done that?

LOR is NOT going to give you the code (and they probably blew the copy fuse).

Then, you would need the interface JIG they use (if not pre programmed).

1 hour ago, TheDucks said:

LOR is NOT going to give you the code (and they probably blew the copy fuse).

Then, you would need the interface JIG they use (if not pre programmed).

That makes sense.  We are talking an emergency replacement with LOR.  Man talk about some bad timing.  Thanks for all the help.

LOR understands that almost everyone is on a deadline this time of the year.  They are almost amazing on dealing with problems like this.  They will take care of you.

In the longer term, think about what is critical in your show that maybe you should have spares in your inventory.  One of the most important (and people forget about) is at least one spare USB to RS-485 adapter.  You have one of those fail, and your show (or a portion of it if you have multiple networks) goes dark.  Very handy for testing, and they are fairly inexpensive (always buy the Red high speed ones).  Spare controllers are obvious and cost more, but over time, it's not that hard to acquire some spares.  And yes, I put my money where my mouth is - I have at least one spare for every controller type in my show, a red USB adapter, and even another computer that COULD run my show (it does for 10 months out of the year).

And extra CAT5 (or materials to make your own) Cable.  Usually, those cables are strung out and not in conduit or other protected areas. cuts or crushing is possible.

Got Pixies? A spare PSU for each voltage/type.

2 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

And extra CAT5 (or materials to make your own) Cable.  Usually, those cables are strung out and not in conduit or other protected areas. cuts or crushing is possible.

Yep.  Most of mine is in conduit, but I usually have at least a half mile of cat-5 in stock.  And bags full of connectors.

3 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Got Pixies? A spare PSU for each voltage/type.

Lots of them.  In fact over the weekend, I ended up using one of my many spare 350 watt 12 volt power supplies to power a single Wifi access point - talk about overkill, but it was handy.  That will get cleaned up so the AP is on the battery system, but it worked for now...

My problem isn't spares, I have enough spare controllers and adapters that I could run an entire second show. My problem is I keep running out of lights.  🤣

40 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

My problem isn't spares, I have enough spare controllers and adapters that I could run an entire second show. My problem is I keep running out of lights.  🤣

Yup! Know that one. I have another HC order coming in Wed.

I really should get another Pixie4 for the new location (many of my Controller cases have a CCMB24 and a Pixie. I robbed the Pixie from a standalone and added it to my standalone CMB24. Now I have this case with PSU and no boards 😲)

Thanks all.... I can tell you that LOR has most definitely taken care of me ... I will have my new controller by night 3 of the event.

I will most definitely petition some funding for spare components.  It makes a lot of sense and I never want to be in this situation again ... talk about stress.

Thanks all.

• The topic was locked