Light-O-Rama Forums

Hardware Utility does not Pick up Pixie16

filetme

Hi all,

Hoping someone can help me here.  I have a Pixie16D and it shows up on COM4 in device manager (or at least the RS485 connected to it does).   Anyways it is of course setup in the network preferences as an enhanced network.  

When I try to use the hardware utility to connect to it the result is that the HU finds a bunch on unknown devices instead of the Pixie.

Has anyone ever run into this issue?   Picture attached.

image.png.4d77c7824925bd2645e9a561f53c55ba.png

Just noticed this in the drop down and it seems a little weird ... See the Pix Bootloader that was discovered????  This is all very weird and I am hoping someone has run into this before.

Unfortunately cannot attach but the pic says along with all the unknown devices one that reads... Bootloader-pix04

Also the status LED is not lit at all (flashing other otherwise) but there is 12V at the connection leads.

Your profile states you have a Standard license, is that correct? You can't use a Pixie16 or enhanced network on a standard license.

So I have downloaded the latest firmware for the controller.  How does it get installed on the controller?

21 minutes ago, filetme said:

So I have downloaded the latest firmware for the controller.  How does it get installed on the controller?

First you have to get it talking to HU. Then ther is a button near the bottom..

What speed (use Network utility to set)?

And you do have a RED (HS) adapter? Pixie 16 really should be run at 500K or 1M

I am using a RED RS485 adapter and in network preferences I have my Pixie set as Aux1 500K enhanced network.

3 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

First you have to get it talking to HU. Then ther is a button near the bottom..

And I guess this is the main problem ... I can't get it to talk to the Hardware Utility and even though it is getting power ... the LED1 indicator is not flashing nor solid.  Nothing ... even though I measure 12 V at the leads to the board.

Not flashing or solid? To me that would indicate either a fatal problem with the board, or a fuse somewhere that's loose/blown.

2 hours ago, filetme said:

Unfortunately cannot attach but the pic says along with all the unknown devices one that reads... Bootloader-pix04

FYI, this forum allows only a small amount of data for each user.  That massively limits the ability to upload graphics.  The solution is to upload the photo to a web location and post a link.  Just directly post the link into your message (don't use the "link" icon at the top.  For example, this photo is coming from my web server.

TSO_hanging_prop-1.jpg

54 minutes ago, Don said:

Not flashing or solid? To me that would indicate either a fatal problem with the board, or a fuse somewhere that's loose/blown.

I am not aware of any fuses that are on the board with the exception on the individual channel fuses.  Would the fact that 12V can be seen at the terminals not indicate that the board is getting the power required?

The power supply is current limited, so no fuse on the pixel strings is required

Just now, filetme said:

The power supply is current limited, so no fuse on the pixel strings is required

From the documentation...

8 minutes ago, filetme said:

I am not aware of any fuses that are on the board with the exception on the individual channel fuses.  Would the fact that 12V can be seen at the terminals not indicate that the board is getting the power required?

There is power getting to the terminals.  Just for grins, check for power between the power and ground pins on one of the pixel outputs.  That will confirm that it is getting onto the PC board.

17 minutes ago, filetme said:

I am not aware of any fuses that are on the board with the exception on the individual channel fuses. 

Please get out of the habit of referring to the outputs as a channel.  They are an output or port, but have MANY channels.

6 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

There is power getting to the terminals.  Just for grins, check for power between the power and ground pins on one of the pixel outputs.  That will confirm that it is getting onto the PC board.

OK apologies if that causes confusion.

So would an output have power to the pins if I am not sending it through the LOR?  or the sequencer?  I would assume that the output pins would not have any readiings until I actually send some signals to a particular output?

19 minutes ago, filetme said:

OK apologies if that causes confusion.

So would an output have power to the pins if I am not sending it through the LOR?  or the sequencer?  I would assume that the output pins would not have any readiings until I actually send some signals to a particular output?

There should be +12 on the Port + to Neg at the board PSU in.

BTW is com Listener running  (the CL icon is on the taskbar)

2 minutes ago, filetme said:

Tested each output and there was 12V between + and - for each channel

You have Power. (my instructions would have worked, but they were more for a Dumb controller)

The low Port # bank is the one that also powers the board.