Light-O-Rama Forums

AUX B not playing

Jay Czerwinski

I have 3 units on AUX B that work through the hardware utility.   They seem to be setup right in my Preview.   They show proper animation in the preview with the show.  Everything on Regular and AUX A play on the preview and the lights are turning on in the yard.

But the lights will not come on in in the yard on the AUX B network.        Its got to be something simple somewhere in the sequencer but I am going to take a break and come back after clearing my head.  Suggestions are welcome as to why AUX B is not responding to the sequence but works fine in the hardware utility.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have.   - Jay

First of all Jay, what LOR version are you running?  Your forum profile says S4, but you are using S5 terminology.  The answer to your question may well be quite different depening on version level.

The short answer is:  are you SURE you have the channel assignments right in the sequence?

• Like 1

Have you set the comm port for Aux B in Network Preferences? You need to do that regardless of whether you are using S4 or S5.

Matt

16 hours ago, k6ccc said:

First of all Jay, what LOR version are you running?  Your forum profile says S4, but you are using S5 terminology.  The answer to your question may well be quite different depening on version level.

The short answer is:  are you SURE you have the channel assignments right in the sequence?

Good catch - updated my profile so show 5.5.4.   Ironically, when I went to look, it is telling me time to upgrade to 5.5.6!   LOL.     I may wait for that to keep the variables down unless that might help my cause - I'll read what the update does...

I have gone though the channel assignments over and over, and now after having a night of sleep I will look again.   But I did find a solution that may work with the suggestion from @dibblejr.   I understood him as saying the import feature of an old S4 sequence can have surprises in it.     So although it is labor intensive, I am going to:

1. Create a nice and perfect Preview of all of my components.
  2. Import an older S4 file and ignore all of the errors and issues.  Just import it.
  3. Review the exact media file used in that imported sequence.
  4. Create a totally new S5 sequence using that exact media file.
  5. Manually cut and paste the content from the imported S4 sequence in to the new S5 sequence.  

I did this with one file and everything worked just fine.     Tons of time will be consumed, but I have spent a week trying to figure out what is wrong in my channel lineup in the imported file.

There are few bug fixes in 5.5.6 which might be worth getting it for. I've had since it came out about a week ago. So far so good.

• Like 1

I also created new profiles in S5.  Granted that the import function works better now than when S5 first came out (I started playing with on the first day of the beta), but I found it was worth the hour to create my S5 previews from scratch.

And I agree with Phil, go ahead and update to 5.5.6 because of some bug fixes.  I updated all three computers to it the day that it came out - which includes the computer that is running my landscape show (this week that means the fallen firefighter memorial week "show").

• Like 1

On 10/3/2020 at 7:02 PM, MattBrown said:

Have you set the comm port for Aux B in Network Preferences? You need to do that regardless of whether you are using S4 or S5.

Matt

Thank you - I did check the com port and that was set properly.  I did find resolve in just starting from scratch and using a new fresh Preview.     And, I installed the latest version just in case.    A lot of variables so I am not sure what was the fix, but I'm running now and just having to do a lot of manual cut-and-paste to update my 2019 show for this year.   Appreciate all the help I get here!

IT'S DOING IT AGAIN!   2 CCRs on my AUX B network will not light during a show - but they are functional on Hardware utility and they did work for a bit before I worked on the sequences again - on a different computer.  I have reviewed their Network and Channel settings in the sequence and Preview and I am not seeing anything different from when the show was working. 

I have spent the better part of the last few days manually cutting and pasting all my S4 2019 sequences in to new S5 2020 sequences to bypass this issue.     Everything was working fine.    I even added the new 2019 props in to the sequence ready to go for programming.  

Last night I programmed through the night to just add sequence data to 16 channels on an AC controller on the same AUX B network.  Because the show was running, I did the sequence work on a different computer, networked in to use the same files in the same directories.    Because I reordered channels and moved the props a little, I saved the preview to another version.   When opening the finished sequences on the original computer, it noted there was a change in the files.

It all looked good - but the two CCRs do not operate anymore.  I'll keep tinkering and post the fix if I find one, but I will gladly take suggestions here on how to revive my two CCRs back to operation.  Thank you in advance for your time.

Is the entire LOR folder shared to both machines, Changing active  files under a running show will cause problems, show restarts and playback file creation delays. Is your LORPreviews.xml file updated on the show machine. in the commondata folder.

Getting sequence and previews crossed up will cause the error messages and must be fixed if everything is to work right. At worst you will loose props and / or sequencing.

1 hour ago, PhilMassey said:

Is the entire LOR folder shared to both machines, Changing active  files under a running show will cause problems, show restarts and playback file creation delays. Is your LORPreviews.xml file updated on the show machine. in the commondata folder.

Getting sequence and previews crossed up will cause the error messages and must be fixed if everything is to work right. At worst you will loose props and / or sequencing.

Phil - Its the same Network you and I had trouble with in my sequence.

Hopefully the video and files I sent to Matt will help solve the issue esp for the OP. I have networks I can switch. I am still setting up and wont begin the controller installs and test until after the hurricane rolls through this weekend. Perhaps by then the issue will be resolved.

His story is quite familiar to me, just like my Covid show, ran smooth as butter and then in June I started having all sorts of S5 issues. Maybe I need to start S5 all over again since my very first anything with S5 ran smooth. I might be able to convince S5 i am new and it may work again. LOL

JR

Edited by dibblejr

2 hours ago, Jay Czerwinski said:

IT'S DOING IT AGAIN!   2 CCRs on my AUX B network will not light during a show - but they are functional on Hardware utility and they did work for a bit before I worked on the sequences again - on a different computer.  I have reviewed their Network and Channel settings in the sequence and Preview and I am not seeing anything different from when the show was working. 

I have spent the better part of the last few days manually cutting and pasting all my S4 2019 sequences in to new S5 2020 sequences to bypass this issue.     Everything was working fine.    I even added the new 2019 props in to the sequence ready to go for programming.  

Last night I programmed through the night to just add sequence data to 16 channels on an AC controller on the same AUX B network.  Because the show was running, I did the sequence work on a different computer, networked in to use the same files in the same directories.    Because I reordered channels and moved the props a little, I saved the preview to another version.   When opening the finished sequences on the original computer, it noted there was a change in the files.

It all looked good - but the two CCRs do not operate anymore.  I'll keep tinkering and post the fix if I find one, but I will gladly take suggestions here on how to revive my two CCRs back to operation.  Thank you in advance for your time.

DO you happen to be seeing the error " about turning off Control Lights" in order for the preview to play? Just curious.

JR

@PhilMassey and @dibblejr - Thanks for the replies.

I typed out a long message of every step I did, and now deleting it because I found the problem.  With mixed emotions of joy it is fixed and damn that is really irritating.....

Instead of looking at network issues, I looked at power issues.      It's a story, but I can't type anymore.....

Chicago PD 14th Dist on Twitter: "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation was  released 29 years ago today. In honor of Illinois' own Clark W. Griswold,  follow these Holiday safety tips: -Use the buddy

Edited by Jay Czerwinski

OK - Maybe Total Coincidence that the GFCI plug tripped on my last check.  But I see it it doing it again and with power.

A unique thing I see is that the CCRs do come on when I am running lights straight from the sequencer, but they do not light when I run the show from control panel.     Still looking for that hidden settings screen somewhere.....

My wife keeps asking me why I chose such a fun hobby.....