Light-O-Rama Forums

Who is considered pro with S5? Anybody?

weigh2fast4u@yahoo.com

Cause the pros that I see have SO

MUCH TROUBLE.....

JR helped me get my channels set on “Catchy song,” to clear up my channel conflicts...all I did was export channel configuration..... imported it on the other S5 songs that I already completed,... now, catchy song is still correct. But it scrambled everything else.... canceled out every one of my “on” effects That was overlaying a motion effect..... heck,

it deleted a lot of my effects... don’t even show up anymore... I HATE S5. HATE IT. 

It seems most people on S5 just copy and paste other peoples work.  I have been there. 😉

There are only a few that seem to really do their own work and of those few, there seems to be a ton of different issues. And even fewer that push the limits of the software.

So asking who is a pro is extremely vague.

You can sort the channels several different ways. For me it's either Sort by Name (I renamed all the nodes and it takes ages to do) or sort by channel config (most of my props are custom made).

I have one that I sort by column which I think is my CCR tree. This was a built-in matrix prop. Also when you get it all right, export the grid config out. Just in case you need it later.

Hope that helps... Sent PM

Edited by gsmith37064

31 minutes ago, gsmith37064 said:

There are only a few that seem to really do their own work and of those few, there seems to be a ton of different issues. And even fewer that push the limits of the software.

So asking who is a pro is extremely vague.

Wow, just.... Wow..........

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, weigh2fast4u@yahoo.com said:

MUCH TROUBLE.....

JR helped me get my channels set on “Catchy song,” to clear up my channel conflicts...all I did was export channel configuration..... imported it on the other S5 songs that I already completed,... now, catchy song is still correct. But it scrambled everything else.... canceled out every one of my “on” effects That was overlaying a motion effect..... heck,

it deleted a lot of my effects... don’t even show up anymore... I HATE S5. HATE IT. 

I'm sorry to hear you are experiencing these issues. I will contact you directly so that we can arrange a time to walk through them together and see if we can get things straightened out.

Matt

1 minute ago, MattBrown said:

I'm sorry to hear you are experiencing these issues. I will contact you directly so that we can arrange a time to walk through them together and see if we can get things straightened out.

Matt

@MattBrown

You going to do anything about the open tickets? I am seeing a pattern where only the easy simple stuff gets looked at. Gesh Matt...

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, gsmith37064 said:

@MattBrown

You going to do anything about the open tickets? I am seeing a pattern where only the easy simple stuff gets looked at. Gesh Matt...

Actually you are wrong. I have spent several days working on the issues that you reported recently. They will be in the next release. Because it is not released, I am not prepared to say how they were addressed.

Matt

5 minutes ago, MattBrown said:

Actually you are wrong. I have spent several days working on the issues that you reported recently. They will be in the next release. Because it is not released, I am not prepared to say how they were addressed.

Matt

So where is the communication? You see that I am getting frustrated over all this. A simple "hey Greg, we are working on it internally." goes a long way.

But thank you for the update. Better late than never I suppose...

Edited by gsmith37064

34 minutes ago, weigh2fast4u@yahoo.com said:

MUCH TROUBLE.....

That may be your opinion.  Although there were some migration issues with both the beta versions and the early release versions of S5, those are far less now.  I have not had anything I would call a service affecting bug in several years.  Yes, I did find and document a bug when using non-standard channel arrangement for RGB channels, but I had planned on moving those channels to standard layout anyway.  There are some things that I wish would operate differently (mostly related to SuperStar integration), but that's not a bug.  I seriously don't like the way changes were made to show files creation last year, but again, that is not a bug.  It is working as designed - I just don't like the way it's designed.

28 minutes ago, gsmith37064 said:

It seems most people on S5 just copy and paste other peoples work. There are only a few that seem to really do their own work And of those few, there seems to be a ton of issues. And even fewer that push the limits of the software.

I am very open about it.  On almost all of my sequences, I purchase the portion for the pixel tree.  Not because of the software, but because of me.  I can make the software do what I want.  I am NOT an artist and lack the artistic creativity to know what I want.  Therefore, I buy the tree sequence from people who do have that creativity.  And JR did my singing faces.  Then I sequence the other approx 58,000 channels in the yard around the colors and patterns of the tree.  As I said, I don't have issues with S5 bugs.  I will point out that I sequence almost nothing in Sequencer as I am a long time SuperStar user.  The only thing I sequence in Sequencer (Motion Effects) is my P5 and P10 "Tune to" signs.

Jim I am not knocking your abilities at all. But it now sounds like you are mostly SS and not SE. I live inside of SE. I am just saying I have found issues, opened tickets, and get nothing. My only recourse is the forum.

Then when it archives all my work for the past 7 months for no reason... it really pisses one off. I can't start from scratch on these and be ready for Christmas. I have 20 songs.

In fact, I enjoy reading a lot of your posts.

You have to remember that v5.4.2 had a ton of my fixes in it. It sounds like this version may as well. Be grateful that someone is pushing the limits of the software. I do QA work so I know when something is not right. Even if others have no issues. That should be a simple enough clue right there to say hey... something must be wrong. Even with video, people are still in denial.

But I am seeing that a lot of S5 users are just content with it and that is that. S5 is great. I love what I can do with it and I know it can be better. But you need to have communication when you have a paying customer frustrated. You don't let it build...

Edited by gsmith37064

1 hour ago, Don said:

I'd like to think I've got a clue or two about the software, but who knows....

Hey Don!... Missed the class the other day due to prop building. Trying to get these mini trees going. Do you have the next topic picked out already?

1 hour ago, gsmith37064 said:

Hey Don!... Missed the class the other day due to prop building. Trying to get these mini trees going. Do you have the next topic picked out already?

Bummer! Well for those with replay access, it should be up soon.
As for the next one, I don't know. The whole point of the webinars was to help me figure out what people wanted to know, and what worked (or might work) for an eventual paid course. The last webinar was pretty much a full walk through from step 1 (designing the display in Preview) to programming tips/tricks. There may not be a next one. Still figuring out what might be next.