Light-O-Rama Forums

Arches

Wayne K

thebaronn wrote:

BryanLeggo wrote:
I'm sure this will seem like a silly question but: why wrap the lights at all? Couldn't the just be placed in a straight line but doubled back over again until you reach the 8-inch segment you want to create? I realze that the light might be less intense or maybe more "one-sided" but don't people usually look at these things from the front (one angle) anyway? And even if you have to extend the length of wire from a segment to the end of the pole, wouldn't this be just as safe and/or dangerous as violating the UL the way wrapping is traditionally done?

That would be cheating...................

But that is exactly what I did for my mega arch. I decided last minute to build one and decided I didnt want to use $1000 worth of LEDs. So I have 100ct LEDs wrapped on themselves and the zip tied every 10 inches. Only 9 channels. like $100 worth of LEDs. And 55ftft of 1" electrical conduit (6 peices and I cut 5ft off, the lights dictated the total length, I just kept adding, took 2 hours from start to lighting it up with one helper for the guy lines) and only 2 guy lines (thats why it doesnt look perfect).

I had some mini arches but I took them apart. I think next year I will go with regular minis. They just look better on the arches IMO. But i do like home LEDs shimmer as compared to minis.....ah decisions decisions!!

Here is some video of the mega arch in action

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dIwGk6_3YM

I've swapped back and forth between the 7 and 8 segment question and can't seem to decide. How about having 8 segments, but the 2 top ones being 1/2 size? That way you could control them together for 'top segment' effects and separately for things like 'clapping'. Or would the 1/2 size spoil the effect?

I decided on an odd number of segments because I liked the idea of having one center segment. I suppose you could accomplish the same thing with an even number of segments using two half-segments in the center, but to me that seems like a lot of extra fuss for nothing. I decided on seven segments because of two reasons: they fit nicely on a ten foot long section of pvc and making them longer would have created storage issues for me. Also, I like using the Beat Wizard and then dividing the timings for the arches by either seven or four, depending on the speed I'm looking for. I tried my first arch with nine segments but the time interval was so short sometimes that each segment didn't always light, whereas with seven segments they lit more uniformly. Having said that, I've rarely seen arches that didn't look good, though...

Well I went through the 7 or 8 section question and think I am going to go with the 8 sections. Now the next question is how many LEDs? First I think I will stay back about 3" per end so that is 6" or will have 9.5' of winding area. So in inches, this will be 114" and divide this by 8 leaves about 14" per section. With this small of an area to wind on the light strings. I am thinking of using a 70 LED string. Fearing that 100 LED string will be to large to fit it into this area.

Anyone have experience with this? Anyone build an arch with these specs? What was your opinion of the finial product?

Thanks

Max

I did 8 section at 15" each oin a 10' pvc with 2 strands of m5 concave in each section. You can see them on our web page under videos. They worked great. I am building 2 more this year.

redsea300 wrote:

I did 8 section at 15" each oin a 10' pvc with 2 strands of m5 concave in each section. You can see them on our web page under videos. They worked great. I am building 2 more this year.

Yes, but your post is missing some critical information. You say you used 2 strands. How many lights per stand? Did you fold the stands in half? So, at 8 sections at 15" means that you covered every last inch. I am thinking that I would like to keep the ends out of the grass / snow just a bit. So, are you connecting two 10' pipes together to get 20'?

Thanks

Max

The strands were 50 bulbs per strand. I intertwined them so the spacing is now 3" on center. Then I wrapped all the way around in a circle(not back and forth). I did wrap all the way to the end. I live in California and don't have to worry about snow. This year I am going to put a strand on the ground at each end of all 4 arches to make it look like it splashes when it hits the ground. I did not connect to make a 20' arch.I hope this answers you r questions. If not post again and I will answer. Thanks Don C.

This year I built 2 - 30' long arches to spread the driveway with 19 segments @200 minis per segment

they crosses each other making guy wires un-necessary

I did 13' arches, using 150 minis per segment, 8 segments and with a very tight wrap I still needed to backwrap a bit to get it all to fit. 1" gray PVC btw. They turned out very nice. 13' arch = 10' wide base.

toymakr000 wrote:

I used 3/4 PVC in 11' sections. There are 8 channels each and 100 minis in about a 17" section. My son did a clapping sequence here.
http://bazillionlights.com/Images/2008/Videos/lor/Pokemon Christmas.wmv

Did I do something wrong by just clicking on the link. Or is the link dead? Would have liked to have seen this. Being a nubie, I can use all of the ideas that I can get my hands on.

Thx

Max

Max-Paul wrote:

toymakr000 wrote:
I used 3/4 PVC in 11' sections. There are 8 channels each and 100 minis in about a 17" section. My son did a clapping sequence here.

Did I do something wrong by just clicking on the link. Or is the link dead? Would have liked to have seen this. Being a nubie, I can use all of the ideas that I can get my hands on.

Thx

Max
The link is: http://bazillionlights.com/Images/2008/Videos/lor/Pokemon%20Christmas.wmv

toymakr000 wrote:

I hope you dont mind, but I want to do the same thing with my raindeer. Totaly cool man, will let people know where I got the idea. Do you take it down when it's windy out?

Thanks Gary, I am glad to get a chance to see that.

Ok, Toymakr000, how in the heavens were you able to do the raindear and sliegh? I can see the support arm and the R&S rotating behind the tree and then coming to the front and passing in front of the tree. Can see the counterbalance. But with so many limbs there is no way I can see how your pivot point can be located near the tree. I would say that it is an optical illustion, but the fact that the R&D lights are blocked while traveling L to R behind the tree then the tree is blocked while traveling R to L.

Ok, how in heavens name did you do this? :?

Thanks

Max