Light-O-Rama Forums

Arches

Wayne K

I started winding my arches. I am using 10 foot gray pvc and with a 7 segments. I have come up with about 16.5" between each segment. The problem is that a 100 light set does not look like enough lights. Has anyone else done there arches yet and how many lights are you putting per section or segment?

Thanks

Wayne

Attached files 159643=9266-Picture 005.jpg

Also forgot to post about my arch winder. With a few parts laying around such as a window motor, some sprokets and chain out of a copier, and some misc aluminum pieces and a little machine work all put together.

Wayne

Attached files 159644=9267-Picture 002.jpg

I used the same formula for my arches 10 ft. (7 sections of 100 lights).

This is my first experience with arches but I have seen many other threads/post that used

the same setup. So I am hoping that this combination is the OK. I tested one and I thought it look fine.

You might want to setup a controller and check it out.

Harbs

I came out to about 17 inches for the same effective size. I have 7 sections on a 10' piece, and am marrying 2 10'sections. It looks fine.

I used 1" gray PVC and each 100 count string wrapped pretty tight (like Robin's picture) came out to 1' each. They were Very bright when all the lights were on.

Good Luck

Scott

Lots of people have used the same method you are and they look great.

I was going to do the same thing but decided at the last minute to make the arches 14' long. You know, you go out in the yard with the bare pipe and the wife and say 'how's that look?' and she says 'great!' Then you lift it up a little and she says 'I like that better.' Voila, more work made:shock:

On the 14' arches I ended up using 200 minis per 24" section = 7 sections. Before winding I also ran SPT2 wire to the spots where the plug-ins would be just like a bunch of others I have seen.

Good luck,

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Wow! guys I hope your all planning to show videos of your arches they all sound great. Now after reading I feel like i might have gone a little over board on mine. here is a photo of a arch of mine just being started. I'm do 4 mini arches 10 ft long pvc, 15 inchs per segment, 8 segments per arch, 140 LED's per section. :shock: here is a photo. what do you think.

Attached files 161056=9333-christmas small 08.jpg

Looks to me like they should work also. The reason I went with 7 channels was to have a center section / channel at the top.

Wayne

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wayne K wrote:

I started winding my arches. I am using 10 foot gray pvc and with a 7 segments. I have come up with about 16.5" between each segment. The problem is that a 100 light set does not look like enough lights. Has anyone else done there arches yet and how many lights are you putting per section or segment?

Thanks

Wayne
I put 1oo lights per 15" section. this gave me 8 channels on 10 foot arches. I have pictures and video on my website listed below. they look and work great

Now I am completely lost. First I was going to make 10 foot arches 8 segments, then it was 7 segments, then 8,then 7. I see the advantages for both 7 and 8. Now I see people making arches that are 14 feet long and 20 feet long. What would be a good start for someone, 10 foot arches spaced about 6 feet wide. Good thing I am looking at next year. Its going to take me 5 months just to figure this out. lol

I have seen bigger 40 feet across and smaller 3 feet across. I decided on 10 foot length.. Even after seeing them in action I still like them I am going to build 2 more. They can be seen fine behind my mini trees and that is where they will be next year

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sure this will seem like a silly question but: why wrap the lights at all? Couldn't the just be placed in a straight line but doubled back over again until you reach the 8-inch segment you want to create? I realze that the light might be less intense or maybe more "one-sided" but don't people usually look at these things from the front (one angle) anyway? And even if you have to extend the length of wire from a segment to the end of the pole, wouldn't this be just as safe and/or dangerous as violating the UL the way wrapping is traditionally done?

BryanLeggo wrote:

I'm sure this will seem like a silly question but: why wrap the lights at all? Couldn't the just be placed in a straight line but doubled back over again until you reach the 8-inch segment you want to create? I realze that the light might be less intense or maybe more "one-sided" but don't people usually look at these things from the front (one angle) anyway? And even if you have to extend the length of wire from a segment to the end of the pole, wouldn't this be just as safe and/or dangerous as violating the UL the way wrapping is traditionally done?

That would be cheating...................

But that is exactly what I did for my mega arch. I decided last minute to build one and decided I didnt want to use $1000 worth of LEDs. So I have 100ct LEDs wrapped on themselves and the zip tied every 10 inches. Only 9 channels. like $100 worth of LEDs. And 55ftft of 1" electrical conduit (6 peices and I cut 5ft off, the lights dictated the total length, I just kept adding, took 2 hours from start to lighting it up with one helper for the guy lines) and only 2 guy lines (thats why it doesnt look perfect).

I had some mini arches but I took them apart. I think next year I will go with regular minis. They just look better on the arches IMO. But i do like home LEDs shimmer as compared to minis.....ah decisions decisions!!

Attached files 169510=9745-IMG_0130.JPG