Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR RS485 to DMX pinouts/wiring...???

stachows

I have searched these and other boards, and an unfortunately the links that have found  the info i need are no longer valid.

I have a spare LOR RS485, and I am looking to control a moving head light. 

What I need is the pinouts/info to create a Cat5 to DMX cable that will plug into the RS485 on one end(cat5) and the light on the other side (3 Pin DMX).

I have the ends, and the cable, just need to know what wire goes to what pin etc... 

Any help would be appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Scott

OK, so just to confirm???

Using a standard  Cat5 Cable....Using the standard of the 568B wiring, (most Common)

Green wire (pin 6) to DMX pin1

Blue & White (pin 5) to DMX pin2 

Blue wire (pin 4) to DMX pin3

Again... THANK YOU!!!

Edited by stachows

Ok, so I have the cable made  ( could not wait).....how do I tell LOR that I want to use DMX on that RS485 (Com4)

I looked in the Network Configuration utility and not sure how to assign a DMX universe to a RS485 com port???

I have multiple other E 1.31 universes working just fine on their own networks.... but this one escapes me... Sorry...

Thanks,

Scott

Hi Scott

Your profile says S3, If true  I can't say how well this will work.

You need to install the USB drivers (if you haven't previously done so) and plug in the 485. 

Open HU and assign it a com port. (Re reading, I think you have that done already.)

Open Network config, DMX tab, Click on an empty universe.

Name it, Select the newly added adaptor, set DMX protocol.

Control Panel needs to be up

At this point you should be able to open the HU, Open Pixel Console, Click DMX E131 Controller type, Select the Universe you just assigned, and test the Head using the sliders.

In SE, Create a channel for each Head channel using the universe Number and channel number.

Each head function has its own channei asignment, Pan = Chan 1, Pan Fine = Chan 2 etc, so you should end up with a Sequence Editor row for each Head channel.

You will then need to set the DMX start channel in the Head's menu.

If your first SE channel id is Universe X Chan 1, the Start Channel in the device should be  d001 but it can be anything, just needs to match.

If you get stuck, PM me and we can talk

Sorry, I will have to update my profile... I am running the latest version of 4.x

In the network configuration utility, I have dozens of other E.131 universes working fine, so that is not what is confusing me.   And when I use my IDMX 1000 the light itself works great in the hardware utility. Pan/tilt/colors/strobe.  Everything is working.

Where I am confused is when NOT using the IDMX 1000.  It is when conneting the  light directly into the  RS485 with the cable I made.

In the network utility when trying to assign a new DMX universe for the RS485 adapter which is on COM4, it is not an option.   It shows up under the standard LOR tab as a regular LOR network, but not the DMX tab.  I hope this makes sense.

Edited by stachows

Verify you have the com port present in Device Manager. 

Do not assign the com port in the LOR tab, If it is there set it to None, Then try to assign it in the DMX tab. 

It does get a bit confusing, especially if you have multiple RS 485's

The COM port is present, but it is in the LOR tab. That must be my problem.   I'll check that when I get home.  

Thanks again!!!

Phil thank you for staying with me....

I figured it out and got it working.

My confusion was that in the DMX tab, when selecting the Universe and choosing an adapter, there was only 1 choice (A1001i03). I was thinking that this was a dummy adapter or some other thing.... partly because I also assumed that the LOR RS485 adapter would be named something different. I was wrong.  That is in fact exactly what it is named. Go Figure.....LOL

Long story short, when assigning that adapter a universe, I am able to control my moving head light just like on any of my other DMX universes, and it is wired directly from the light (XLR) to my spare RS485 Adapter (RJ45).

I appreciate your patience and help!

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

hi stachows 

i need the pin out to make an adapter from usb 485 to rj 45 to conext with a pixcon 16 dou have any idea pls 

53 minutes ago, andre magri said:

hi stachows 

i need the pin out to make an adapter from usb 485 to rj 45 to conext with a pixcon 16 dou have any idea pls 

A pixcon on a LOR network uses a straight thru cable:

Orange/white

Orange

Green/white

Blue

Blue/white

Green

Brown/white

Brown

I have never used pixcon, but what Mr P. Is describing is a standard pin out found on just about any cat5 cable.  Look up 568b rj45, and you find 100s of diagrams... HTH...

• 5 months later...

Probably a dumb question, new to DMX mingling with RS485 / LOR hardware, but can I make a RS485 to DMX adapter and daisy chain off the last LOR device I have to control a DMX device?

Edited by jwblazek
typo