Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR RS485 to DMX pinouts/wiring...???

stachows

I think you would have to run all the lor controllers in dmx mode for that, which has some disadvantages. Cleaner to run a second dongle with a dmx crossover cable.

Yeah, thought so, thanks Phil. Out of USB ports, 4 dongles, on this PC, have 4 going out and 1 Enet now to a router

1 hour ago, jwblazek said:

Yeah, thought so, thanks Phil. Out of USB ports, 4 dongles, on this PC, have 4 going out and 1 Enet now to a router

No big deal.  USB hubs are fast, easy, and cheap.  Strong suggestion to use a powered hub.

Second the Powered USB hub

But

Even better(if you have a card slot open): A Internal PCI(e) card with a disk drive type power connector allows full spee on the main bus.

Do check 😦 that you HAVE a unused disk power connector (and it will reach the back of the card.

Do check what Style (older w/ 4 round pins or newer SATA style)

Adapter pigtails are cheap

And verify what type of slot: PCI, or which PCI-e type (you only need the smaller one for performance)

Agreed on adding a USB card for those running a desktop.  Unfortunately so many people don't listen to my advise to use a desktop.  This is one of the reasons for a desktop over a laptop as a show computer.

• 1 year later...

Hello sorry for my english i m french debutant. I have 2 controller and g3 mp3 director. This year i insert dmx with enttec dongle usb. Enttec run perfectly with pc usb but i don t anderstand the cable i need to connect enttec at g3 mp3 or controller...

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/9/2019 at 5:12 PM, jwblazek said:

Probably a dumb question, new to DMX mingling with RS485 / LOR hardware, but can I make a RS485 to DMX adapter and daisy chain off the last LOR device I have to control a DMX device?

If you just want to use your existing cable, you can run both LOR and DMX on the same Cat5 cable, since they both use RS485 signalling, which uses a single pair (plus ground). A Cat5 cable has 4 pairs, so there is plenty extra.

LOR send RS485 data on pins 4&5, and puts ground on pin 6.
DMS sends RS485 data on pins 1&2, and puts ground on pins 7&8.

So you could have 2 RS485 adapters on your computer, 1 running LOR and 1 running DMX. You would wire from the DMX adapter pins 4->1, 5->2, and 6->7.

Modern LOR controllers will pass the unused pins directly from one jack to the other, so you could pass your DMX signal along side your LOR and tap into it at the end.

• This topic was locked and unlocked