Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixie2 config and sequencing help

tlogan

Software is 4.3.36 Advanced.

OK, new to the Pixie2 and RGB. Have 2 Gen 3 16 controllers that I used last year with purchased sequences and had no problems. Pretty standard setup (Unit 1 has 10  yard ornaments, etc and Unit 2 has the mega tree, etc). This year I wanted to add arches and so got the Pixie 2 with 50 light strings. After much playing around (and some help from JR) I got to this point: 

I downloaded a 64ch RGB version of the sequences I am using. I noticed that there are arches on Unit 3 and 4 and RGB arches (grouped Left and Right)) on unit 14 & 15 with 8 RGB channels each. I set the Pixie2 to Unit 14 thru HU, closed that out, opened SE and played the sequence. I get nothing on the second string. The first string seems to work as expected. Since I configured the Pixie to 14, shouldn't it also create 15?  I configured the logical pixels to 2.

Any help on why I wouldn't be getting  ANYTHING on the second string? Ok, a couple of pixel at the start of the string flash constantly while the rest flicker white. Suggestion on proper config of the logical number of pixels?

My only other issue is that both run in a flicker mode as soon as I turn them on and they stay that way whenever the sequence is not controlling them directly and at the end of the sequence. Will running them as part of show actually turn them off or is there something else I need to do?

With Halloween over, I'm thinking hard about Christmas!

You might want to first run the verifier program if you haven't already done that to see if it reports ID / channel conflicts.

You might want to first run the verifier program if you haven't already done that to see if it reports ID / channel conflicts.

Thanks, Richard. I'll give that a shot. However, the Pixie is the only thing I have connected right now. And this is a purchased sequence so there shouldn't be any Id/channel conflicts. I  haven't made any edits to the sequence. I only set the Pixie to Ch 14 (and by extension the second port to 15) to match the RGB arches ID.

1 hour ago, tlogan said:

Thanks, Richard. I'll give that a shot. However, the Pixie is the only thing I have connected right now. And this is a purchased sequence so there shouldn't be any Id/channel conflicts. I  haven't made any edits to the sequence. I only set the Pixie to Ch 14 (and by extension the second port to 15) to match the RGB arches ID.

Did you manually configure the pixie or build it as my instructions? Add device, below and select it from the list. If you did it this way it would have added 14/15.

Have you switched the light strings around to ensure its not them.

Also you say "purchased sequence".

Did you copy paste it into your sequence or are you attempting to use it as is? Would be rare to find a purchased sequence with the same unit ID's as yours and use right out of the box. (just asking)

Whats the "by extension" mean. Never heard that one before.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

Even though you set the pixie up in HU and set it to unit 14. You still have to add the device in your channel config and ensure the network is set up correctly.

Open your sequence

Whereever in the channels / unit numbers you would like to add the device (right click)

Select "add device"

Above or below - normally below

A new box will appear giving you a chance to name it

Next Group if you wish - less clutter if you group

Next select pixe 2/4/8/16

Next scroll down to pixie2

Next add the starting unit ID

Next set the network "prob regular"

Add/ or save cant remember

Not done yet

Now go to the control pannel

Select Network Preference NP

Select the LOR tab- if you have never been there you will see "simple view" on the right side. Select "advanced" it will change the view to look like a spread sheet

Now select the regular network

Click on speed and set the speed to 500K and under that will be an "enhance" box- select that. "Apply" on right side. After the changes made screen select "OK" and then you will see a warning about the 500K speed. Just select OK

Now you are set and if everything else is good you should have lights on both unit IDs. 

JR

Even though you set the pixie up in HU and set it to unit 14. You still have to add the device in your channel config and ensure the network is set up correctly.

Open your sequence

Whereever in the channels / unit numbers you would like to add the device (right click)

Select "add device"

Above or below - normally below

A new box will appear giving you a chance to name it

Next Group if you wish - less clutter if you group

Next select pixe 2/4/8/16

Next scroll down to pixie2

Next add the starting unit ID

Next set the network "prob regular"

Add/ or save cant remember

Not done yet

Now go to the control pannel

Select Network Preference NP

Select the LOR tab- if you have never been there you will see "simple view" on the right side. Select "advanced" it will change the view to look like a spread sheet

Now select the regular network

Click on speed and set the speed to 500K and under that will be an "enhance" box- select that. "Apply" on right side. After the changes made screen select "OK" and then you will see a warning about the 500K speed. Just select OK

Thanks as always, JR!

I think I've done half of what you listed. I did not do the "add device."  I'll go through these steps later tonight after I get home.

Any idea on the logical pixel count? Should I leave those settings at 50/50? 

5 minutes ago, tlogan said:

Thanks as always, JR!

I think I've done half of what you listed. I did not do the "add device."  I'll go through these steps later tonight after I get home.

Any idea on the logical pixel count? Should I leave those settings at 50/50? 

Yes- normally I do not change the default as long as pixels per string equals what you are using however that is not even a must. It will add extra RGB channels to your sequences making clutter but doesn't affect the configuration.

YEs, if you miss any of those steps you will have problems with the configuration.

You can set the NP up first if you choose, the order of adding the device and checking and setting up the NW can be reversed.

It sounds like they were manually built, in doing so you would have had to setup both unit ID's NP. 

One thing I forgot. Before adding the device in my steps. Delete the 14 and 15 units from your sequence. Then add so you don't get conflicting problems. Right click and remove both.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

OK, so NOW I think I see where the channel conflicts would come in as mentioned by Richard.

I'm trying to minimize the amount of work I need to do in the existing sequences and if what you suggest works, I only need to go through each sequence and delete then add the new device. Currently I only run an 8 sequences show, so it should be pretty easy to do. 

Now just gotta get home and try it out! is it 5:00 yet?

12 minutes ago, tlogan said:

OK, so NOW I think I see where the channel conflicts would come in as mentioned by Richard.

I'm trying to minimize the amount of work I need to do in the existing sequences and if what you suggest works, I only need to go through each sequence and delete then add the new device. Currently I only run an 8 sequences show, so it should be pretty easy to do. 

Now just gotta get home and try it out! is it 5:00 yet?

If you add the device to the bottom it will make life easier for you.

Once done adding and testing - everything works

Go to the SE tool bar

"Edit"

"import/ export chanel config"

Save it to wherever you want. Name it like 2018 Christmas Master Config.

Now on your old sequences 

"edit"

"Import channel config" (same one you saved)

You just added you controller and all settings to the old sequence.  No need to follow all of the step on initial setup "of the device" to all of your sequences.

Just import the channel config to each

Now once you are finished you can ensure that chanel config opens for every sequence.

SE - open "new musical sequence" select any song (you will trash this later)

Once the audio file is converted

The "New musical sequence options" screen will appear.

Skip the top section

"Channel setup"

Select the bottom bubble and on the right point it to your new MAster Config

Set your wizards and timing grids (optional but timing grid is your working screen)

Time 0.05 is typical

the n on the left side

Save as defaults.

Before scrapping the template when I help someone I always have them open a new musical sequence again to ensure they didn't miss anything and when the sequence opens their controllers are all there.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

So if I add the device to the bottom, do I need to copy all the tracks from the old device/tracks to the new device at the bottom,  or simply adding the device take care of it? Guess I need to go through the process you outlined.

Thanks, again JR...you da MAN!

If you import your config to your sequences ine by one is easier than copy paste all of them

However only if your new controller is last in the order.

Sorry was at my sons school as every day for 1.5 hours and they have jammer which only allows children type sites. LOL

JR

Thanks again, JR!

I was able to do most of what you listed.

I could NOT select Enhanced in NP after selecting 500K. It is grayed out and not selectable.

The only way I could see to delete the existing devices on ID 14 and 15 was to "Remove" them, which deletes all the channels/sequences that go with it. So I copied those channels first, then deleted, then added the new device at the bottom as you said. This created ID 14 with Port 1 and Port 2 in the group. I pasted in and everything seemed to look good.

Played the sequences and still nothing responding on Port 2. It lights up solid white and that's it. THEN IT DAWNED ON ME....

I swapped the ribbons. NOW, nothing responding to Port 1, Port 2 working as expected! I swap back, nothing on Port 2, Port 1 working as expected. I HAVE A BAD RIBBON.

Remaining question is why the Enhanced box is grayed out. I'm running with the black USB-RS485. Do I need the red? 

3 minutes ago, tlogan said:

Thanks again, JR!

I was able to do most of what you listed.

I could NOT select Enhanced in NP after selecting 500K. It is grayed out and not selectable.

The only way I could see to delete the existing devices on ID 14 and 15 was to "Remove" them, which deletes all the channels/sequences that go with it. So I copied those channels first, then deleted, then added the new device at the bottom as you said. This created ID 14 with Port 1 and Port 2 in the group. I pasted in and everything seemed to look good.

Played the sequences and still nothing responding on Port 2. It lights up solid white and that's it. THEN IT DAWNED ON ME....

I swapped the ribbons. NOW, nothing responding to Port 1, Port 2 working as expected! I swap back, nothing on Port 2, Port 1 working as expected. I HAVE A BAD RIBBON.

Remaining question is why the Enhanced box is grayed out. I'm running with the black USB-RS485. Do I need the red? 

I just noticed the problem, combined with a bad ribbon. 

To use enhanced you have to have "pro" level license.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

And now I see that it looks like you  need PRO level for Enhanced...I'm on Advanced. IS Enhanced necessary at this point? I'm running two Gen3 16s and this Pixie 2. 

Just now, tlogan said:

And now I see that it looks like you  need PRO level for Enhanced...I'm on Advanced. IS Enhanced necessary at this point? I'm running two Gen3 16s and this Pixie 2. 

Its not the number of controllers, its the type. For enhanced network you must have pro

I think at this point Ill stick with the hardware I have and work with LOR to get the ribbon replaced.

Thanks ,man! You are the BEST! 

Just now, tlogan said:

I think at this point Ill stick with the hardware I have and work with LOR to get the ribbon replaced.

Thanks ,man! You are the BEST! 

Had I been conversing on my computer I would have caught that quicker. On the cell I cant see the profile info.

Somehow I missed it in your opening post, very first sentence.

JR

That's OK. I missed your 

22 hours ago, dibblejr said:

Have you switched the light strings around to ensure its not them

too!

Also, just answering...

Also you say "purchased sequence".

Did you copy paste it into your sequence or are you attempting to use it as is? Would be rare to find a purchased sequence with the same unit ID's as yours and use right out of the box. (just asking)

I purchased these through WOW Lights. They have a standard order of Unit IDs/channels as you progress through the number of channels for all of their sequences. So for all of their sequences, the IDs/channels are consistent. In my case, I started with the 32 channel sequences and want to go to 48...the first 32 are the same in both versions as the 64 ch version has the same first 48 as has the same first 32, etc. Makes it easy to expand the number of lights without having to reprogram all the sequences. The license includes all versions from "dumb" 16-64ch and a 64RGB. There is one more version above that that requires a separate license.  Again in my case, I went to their 64 ch RGB sequence and that's where the RGB Arches are at ID 14 and 15 and all the original IDs/channels are there from my last year's 32 ch show. In the non-RGB version there are "dumb" Arches at ID 3 and 4. In the 64 RGB version, there are STILL "dumb" arches at ID 3 and 4 AND new RGB arches at 14 and 15.  The idea is if I had previous "dumb" arches in the show, I can just add the RGB arches along with them without modifying the sequences.

And finally...

Whats the "by extension" mean. Never heard that one before.

I meant that once you set the Pixie to Unit 14 it automatically assigns 15. Sorry, a programming term that basically means that you do something and get something else automatically.