Light-O-Rama Forums

DMX fading response

Greg Young

Texan78 wrote:

Ok so I know I am understanding this correctly. I have LED colorwash fixtures that are 4 channels, Strobe / Dimmer, Red, Blue, Green. So for each fixture I need to set up each effect with it's own channel in S2 if I am seeing that correctly from your screenshot. Is that right?

One other thing, how are you knowing what the color values are and how are those addressed within the sequencing? That is what is has me puzzled. Are you setting these in the HWU? I have tried but every time I do it crashes and closes.

The Hardware Utility is crashing on you? Please, what are you doing when this happens?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Greg Young

• Charles Belcher

• Dr. Jones

• -klb-

Sorry for the delay getting back..

The colors are defined by the DMX hardware itself. Channel 1 is the red LED's. Channel 2 is the green LED's, and channel 3 is the blue LED's. To get colors other than red, green, and blue, mix the colors (by adjusting intensity on those three channels) just like a RGB computer monitor...

- Kevin

Oh, one more thing.. On these fixtures, they are actually 5 channels per fixture, (R, G, B, Dim, Strobe) but I don't use strobe. I have a channel defined, and left at zero, but it is dragged way down the channel config, so it is not in the capture I provided..

To expand on it a bit more (I seem to be suffering from ADD tonight) the intensity of each LOR channel corresponds to the position of a single channel slider on a DMX console...

- Kevin

-klb- wrote:

The colors are defined by the DMX hardware itself. Channel 1 is the red LED's. Channel 2 is the green LED's, and channel 3 is the blue LED's. To get colors other than red, green, and blue, mix the colors (by adjusting intensity on those three channels) just like a RGB computer monitor...

- Kevin

This is making more sense now that I am able to play with it now. So let me see if this is right....

So for one color wash lets say I want to set the red color for that channel. The unit E0 circuit 1 in the channel properties. I would then go into the VC and select the unit id from the drop downs to E 0. The the first slider would be for that channel and I would just adjust the slider until I get the value I want? Is that correct? Is show how do I save this value once I have it? Then I would just repeat this for each fixture?

Nothing to configure.. The one fixture is 5 DMX channels, is 5 LOR channels.. The 4 channels in the example I put above is 4 of the 5 LOR channels driving a single colorbar.. I am sequencing all 4 of those channels to make one fixture do what I want...

LightORamaDan wrote:

Texan78 wrote:
Ok so I know I am understanding this correctly. I have LED colorwash fixtures that are 4 channels, Strobe / Dimmer, Red, Blue, Green. So for each fixture I need to set up each effect with it's own channel in S2 if I am seeing that correctly from your screenshot. Is that right?

One other thing, how are you knowing what the color values are and how are those addressed within the sequencing? That is what is has me puzzled. Are you setting these in the HWU? I have tried but every time I do it crashes and closes.

The Hardware Utility is crashing on you? Please, what are you doing when this happens?

The actual HWU doesn't crash, it is the Virtual Console.

When I was using 2.0.16 I would open the console from the HWU. I would select iDMX-1000 on the left, then select Virtual Controllers on the right since extended circuit IDs wasn't available yet. I would select the unit IDs for the fixture. Then as soon as I went to move a slider it would all crash out on me and close.

I have upgraded to 2.1.2 and that problem is fixed now and I can use the sliders, but if I try to select All on/off or shimmer, twinkle effect off. Then it will do what it was doing before and crash out and close.

Currently I am just trying to set my color washes that are 5 channels across 8 fixtures so a total of 40 channels.

Texan78 wrote:

-klb- wrote:

- Kevin

This is making more sense now that I am able to play with it now. So let me see if this is right....

So for one color wash lets say I want to set the red color for that channel. The unit E0 circuit 1 in the channel properties. I would then go into the VC and select the unit id from the drop downs to E 0. The the first slider would be for that channel and I would just adjust the slider until I get the value I want? Is that correct? Is show how do I save this value once I have it? Then I would just repeat this for each fixture?

Would this be right?

The extremely thin documents for my fixtures show the following:

First channel : Red
Second channel: Green
Third channel : Blue
Fourth channel : Dim (rather the reverse of dim)
Fifth channel : Strobe

The remote control that goes with the fixture is used to set the base DMX channel of the fixture. So if I set the base DMX channel of the fixture to 6, and I leave the iDMX at the default base value of controller E0, I get the following..

Controller Channel Function
E0 6 Red
E0 7 Green
E0 8 Blue
E0 9 Dim
E0 10 Strobe

At least with these colorbar units, there is nothing to save through the VC. All you can do with the VC is test what different values drive the unit to do.. For example, I can play with the sliders on the VC, and learn that 100% red, and 20% green gives me a good red. Then I can go into the sequence, and set the intensities of channels 6 and 7 appropriately, and use 9 to set the total intensity...

- Kevin

Yea I got the channel structure and the addressing figured out. I just wasn't sure where you set the values once you got them. With the new release of S2 you can set those values with the with the new DMX effects that saves the DMX intensities values.

So then if you mix the RGB channels with different values it would give you different colors. These are just for LED washes so they won't have much to sequence, but I can see it will take some time getting the colors I want and mixing and playing with them. Guess I better get out some paper and do some testing...LoL

Hold on, I just thought of something. Since you can set multiple values now with the DMX effects tool, that means I could use one channel for my RGB right? Of course if I wanted to do do any fading between colors I would need to use two channels. Would this be correct?

I have not even loaded 2.1.x on any of my systems yet. I use the same laptop for sequencing the home show, and the 600 channel city park show. Currently, 2.0.16 showed no problems in testing at the house for Halloween, and is showing no issues in the park. I currently have no plans to upgrade until after the city park show is complete.

However there are two primary changes that were pending before 2.1.x. I'm not sure if only one, or both have made it into 2.1.6. The first, and most important for many people is the ability to use native DMX values in channels. Using 0-255 gives exact DMX values from the sequence editor, instead of 0-100 mapped to 0-255, where 154 values are missing/unaddressable. The other is the ability to have the iDMX be a single controller ID, with 256 channels.

As to the DMX effects tool, I have not read up on it yet. I would not be surprised if it still requires that all the DMX channels have LOR channels, and it just applies the values to sequential channels in the track.

Dr. Jones wrote:

As for color mixing blind - you can try using MSpaint and select color values(0-255) to give an approximation

Thank you for the clarification. I have the RGB values, that one is no big deal since I am a web developer I have those values already at hand which makes it nice.

So this does mean I can use just one channel for my RGB unless I wanted to fade between colors or mix then I would have to use two channels of RGB right with the addition of the DMX intensities tool? Would this be right?

-klb- wrote:
However there are two primary changes that were pending before 2.1.x. I'm not sure if only one, or both have made it into 2.1.6. The first, and most important for many people is the ability to use native DMX values in channels. Using 0-255 gives exact DMX values from the sequence editor, instead of 0-100 mapped to 0-255, where 154 values are missing/unaddressable. The other is the ability to have the iDMX be a single controller ID, with 256 channels.

Yes I believe this has now been introduced with the upgrade if I remember correctly. I know on the VC you can enter DMX values and it will give you both DMX and LOR vaules now.

Nevermind I just answered my question about only using 1 channel for RGB. That can not be possible since RGB is made up of three values, unless I am missing something.

Here is a screenshot of the new VC, as you can see below the sliders it gives you the lor values as well as the DMX vaules. So the first nine channels will give me Red, Blue, Green. So I am thinking if I am justing sticking to the primary colors I should be able to use 1 channel instead of 3 since the vaules of the others are 0 correct?

Attached files 166647=9581-LOR-VC.bmp

• 1 month later...

LightORamaDan wrote:

We have received delivery of one of the LED color strips. We will start testing ASAP.

Dan

So, what ever happened?

Was there a problem with the iDMX, LOR S'ware. or Color Strips?

Thread was Hijacked by.........

Duke wrote:

LightORamaDan wrote:
We have received delivery of one of the LED color strips. We will start testing ASAP.

Dan

So, what ever happened?

Was there a problem with the iDMX, LOR S'ware. or Color Strips?

Thread was Hijacked by.........

Duke it apparently was a timing issue. Dan updated the code for the IDMX, which seems to have helped the problem!

Greg

• The topic was locked