Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR II and RDS Functionality

dqhall

This question is intended for Dan, but I wanted to post it here so the information is shared with others with interest in RDS. For those who are not familiar with RDS, basically RDS (Radio Data System) is the text that is displayed on car radios of the song title and artist name. Most newer car radios have this capability. RDS information is transmitted along with the audio stream through a RDS enable FM transmitter.

I understand that the next minor release of LOR II will include a RDS mechanism. Can you tell me if that mechanism will specifically display the tag information from a MP3 file or will it grab information from a text file?

Why I ask this question is because I need to know whether I should sequence my songs using MP3 or WAV files. I prefer to use WAV files but if the RDS mechanism relies on the MP3 tag, then I am forced to use MP3 files. This information would be good to know before I begin to create sequences.

Thanks!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Texan78

• Dinosang

• Richard Hamilton

• dqhall

Doug,

You can always sequence using the WAV file and then when you are finished with the sequence, you can change the audio file to an MP3.

I would certainly hope it will drop a text file in a user definable directory using a file name that is also user definable.

1) wide compatibility with almost any rds software.
2) some folks use wav files, I use video....

• 2 months later...

dqhall wrote:

Why I ask this question is because I need to know whether I should sequence my songs using MP3 or WAV files. I prefer to use WAV files but if the RDS mechanism relies on the MP3 tag, then I am forced to use MP3 files. This information would be good to know before I begin to create sequences.

I'd say just use whatever type of file (mp3 or wav) that you are most comfortable using. Later on you can easily and freely convert it to the other format if needed.

By the way, I am anxious to use the RDS feature if/when it is implemented in LOR II. Right now I hva a cumbersome method.

• 2 months later...

jstein wrote:

From reading various posts, I can not tell, is RDS working with LOR II now or not?

It is not implemented as far as I know.

Steven wrote:

Richard Hamilton wrote:
Right now I hva a cumbersome method.

Can you describe your cumbersome method?

It's a cluge, but works. I use the simple scheduler program that came with the RDS unit. It sends text messages out at a predetermined time. I noted when each song starts in my LOR show. I set those times in the RDS scheduler to show the song information during those time. Thus, it is asyncrhonous to LOR. I'd must prefer LOR to send these messages to prevent things from possibly getting out of sync.

Texan78 wrote:

dqhall wrote:
The latest version of LOR 2.1 will have this functionality when it is released.

Any idea when this will be?
I understood you had to have a transmitter with RDS capabilities.

If I were LOR I would not release any new version at this time. I'd guess after the holidays.

Yes, you need a transmitter with RDS built-in, or that has the ability to feed in an RDS signal after the Stereo stage. Most low-end transmitters don't have that ability. I tried a software solution a few months ago, but it was really hoaky and works only with limited sound cards and operating systems.

Texan78 wrote:

dqhall wrote:

I was told it should be released in a matter of days!

As For RDS you can use a program called Airomate with any Transmitter. I have been using it for a while now with no problems at all, in fact I am using Radio Text and PS Data (Program Service name) with my shows. I am using a text file to relay my message and I have the software set to update every 3 seconds so I can change the file anytime with a new message. I am looking forward to the new release for LOR2 with the RDS feature. There is a catch you will need a sound card that supports 192khz audio because of the high frequencies used by RDS. I have my software set to RDS only so I can send out the data on the same output as the main audio so I do not get a delay with a loop through layout so there is no sync problem with the audio and lights.

jstein wrote:

So with this there is no need to purchase any additional "hardware"?

As long as you have a compatible 192khz sound card no!

Dinosang wrote:

jstein wrote:

Just one other thing, will this work with LOR when the new update is released or do you know? If it does this will be great!

Dinosang wrote:

jstein wrote:

I'm really glad to hear that someone had luck with that software. It is the one I was referring to that I never could get to work. The user interface is terrible and I spent abut 3 hours trying to get it to work with a sound card that they say it should work. You must have a magic touch.

Richard Hamilton wrote:

Dinosang wrote:
jstein wrote:

I'm really glad to hear that someone had luck with that software. It is the one I was referring to that I never could get to work. The user interface is terrible and I spent abut 3 hours trying to get it to work with a sound card that they say it should work. You must have a magic touch.

The software is pretty straight forward?? Did you try to just send RDS data? Also did you have your output high enough to work? If it is to low your radio will not pick it up. The trial version is also restricted on the capabilities.

"The demo version of Airomate apply the following restrictions: - Splash screen - No saving settings - No Programme Identification (PI) - No Extended Country"

As you can see you would have to set your settings every time on the demo version!

If you need some assistance I can try to help with your settings

Dinosang wrote:

Richard Hamilton wrote:
Dinosang wrote:
jstein wrote:

The software is pretty straight forward?? Did you try to just send RDS data? Also did you have your output high enough to work? If it is to low your radio will not pick it up. The trial version is also restricted on the capabilities.

"The demo version of Airomate apply the following restrictions: - Splash screen - No saving settings - No Programme Identification (PI) - No Extended Country"

As you can see you would have to set your settings every time on the demo version!

If you need some assistance I can try to help with your settings

Hi Dino,

Yes, I did all those things. Thanks for your kind offer, but I gave up on it long ago. I have RDS working and I don't want to screw around with it until LOR comes out with an integrated feature.

Maybe I should have said "annoying" as the descriptive word. I was frustrated with the "upselling popups" in their software every time I clicked on something that wasn't in the demo... which seemed like most everything. I also noted on their forum a HUGE number of complaints about the GUI and it not working, so while it might be straightforward to you, a lot of folks don't think so. I still think you just have the magic touch :-)

Texan78 wrote:

dqhall wrote:

As most of you have read, the next release of LOR 2 is version 2.1. I am currently testing this version for Dan and can attest to the RDS functionality. This version includes a Windows Shell Command. What this does is that it will execute any program at the start of a sequence. So, if my RDS device monitors a text file, I could have LOR2 run a copy command to update the text file. For example, let's say my RDS monitored file is songinfo.txt and I have 2 sequences, xmas1.lms and xmas2.lms. And for each sequence I have a text file with the title and author info (i.e. 'Josh Groban Believe') named song1.txt and song2.txt. So when xmas1.lms is played, I can configure LOR2 to execute a command like:

copy c:rdssong1.txt c:rdssonginfo.txt

I can do this with each sequence I create. The RDS device will then see a change to the songinfo.txt and send that information.

This functionality is a tremendous plus for us RDS users and once again, LOR has made this process easy for us. The availability of this release should be sometime soon. The upgrade was flawless and I encourage all fellow RDS users to upgrade when it is available.

I am using the FM100B transmitter which has been modified to accept RDS input. This procedure was creatively developed and documented by a fellow LOR and PC forum user. That link is available here:

http://www.bluebonnetlights.com/RDS/FM100B.html

Good Luck!