Light-O-Rama Forums

Great Christmas Light Fight 2016

k6ccc

Our neighbor has been filmed for one of the episodes this season, airing on Dec 19th. He has an all old school type display with no sequencing. Lots of older blow molds, some inflatables, a decent amount of lights, a bunch of '50s era pieces and a bunch of home/hand made stuff. He has been doing a display for 30 plus years. They had him take items out of his display that had team/sports logos or were not affiliated with the ABC companies or that they felt were poor taste... He has an inflatable Santa that moons you and also a Santa in an outhouse. So Disney items are allowed.

The show people want to see unique displays and like to see Christmas as the main point of it all. The more DIY stuff the better too.

Well if they film in October and they want  to pretend it's December send them up, not usually a problem up here lol.

1 hour ago, Bigfrog 59 said:

Well if they film in October and they want  to pretend it's December send them up, not usually a problem up here lol.

We were setting up in Sept and sweating like stuck pigs.. it was in the 90s almost every day.  I feel for the guys " down under".. it is their summer every year at Christmas

Another Disney theme won this week and didn't have anything to do with Christmas. :wacko:

Need to change the name to the The Great Disney Light Fight.

Edited by Mr. P
  • Like 2

I know there are several members here who do or are otherwise involved with Television production in general.  In my previous life, I was sort of in 'the biz' (and no one in the biz calls it the biz BTW).

Repeat after me:  There is NOTHING on TV that is spontaneous.  

• Reality shows are scripted - no matter how much they will say they are not.  
  • Unrehearsed, in the moment does NOT make good TV.  
  • Execs in suits that sell programming or advertising must give the people with the $'s exactly what they want.  That requires a script and 100% control.

NOTHING is real on TV, even when they pretend it is.   

• That 'live remote' story on the news was scripted before going live - and includes at least a 7 second tape delay to cut out the schmoe giving the finger to the camera.
  • Reality TV is not real.  It is manufactured for effect and then presented as if it is real.
  • See the surprise on the face of the 'common people' in the show when something is shown to them?  There is no surprise.  It took 9 takes to get that look just right.
  • Talk shows don't actually feature talk.  They feature script reading. Shows like 'The Tonight Show' or 'Late Night' are scripted - down to the exact questions the presenter will ask the guest AND the guest's answer (and the guest's reaction when asked something that looks to be risque, but in reality was approved by the guest WEEKS before taping).  
  • Jerry Springer?  Scripted (or at least people are told what to do - including throwing chairs).
  • Even Game Shows (which may be held to a high standard for cheating) are edited/lit/staged in such a way to increase the wanted effect

TV is all about money and advertising

• Of course the Disney display, on the TV network owned by Disney, produced by a company also owned by Disney is going to win.  It's just a cleverly disguised infomercial.
  • Any show on TV is either an AD (see above) or is paid for with advertising - even within the show itself.

If you know how a magician does the trick, the trick is no longer magical.  Same thing here.  Members here are all 'behind the scenes' already (so to speak) and know exactly how things are done.  For you it is not magical.  

So basically, it is what it is.  It is a manufactured reality that is designed to get the most views which increases the profitability of the network broadcasting it.  That show is not about lights - it's about manufactured reality to pull at the emotions of the audience to increase viewership, which increases AD sales which increases profit.   

(Wow!  Am I getting cynical in my old age or what!?)

1 hour ago, DevMike said:

So there is no Santa Claus? No Frosty? No Rudolph? :o NOOOOooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, gsmith37064 said:

Santa is real! I see him at every Wal-Mart and Sams Club in town.

How can he be there if he is in every mall in America?

56 minutes ago, Santas Helper said:

So there is no Santa Claus? No Frosty? No Rudolph? :o NOOOOooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only when he is on TV.  When you see him at the mall, or on the Norad Santa Tracker, that's all real.  

3 hours ago, DevMike said:

Only when he is on TV.  When you see him at the mall, or on the Norad Santa Tracker, that's all real.  

Oh... well that changes everything. Okay, I'm good again. I believe. :D

So.... just how many actual "Disney Themed" houses have one? I don't think it is that many. 

If I remember right, when they did the neighborhoods there was an actual Disney neighborhood but I don't think they won.  I think it was an Arizona neighborhood that one. 

We have one family down the freeway a piece that is entirely Disney themed and so far they have yet to even accept them on the show even though he has tried several times. 

Hey guys and gals.. if the moniker fits that I'm all for it, but I don't think it does.  Dev Mike is correct, it's all either scripted or edited but almost never a one take wonder that was spontaneous, although that does happen at times. (happened a few places on our episode).   If you look at the number of winners over the last 4 years, how many are Disney?  I don't have the answer, but I don't remember that many.. (Maybe an age thing on my part).. but like I said before, Disney is popular throughout the world.. You can't expect that a Disney themed display would never win.... That would be really fighting the odds..Just look at how many of you did something from "Frozen".    I do however think that many times the tear jerker wins over the best light display.. I also feel that the Lights are playing less of a roll than they should, (in lieu of what sells), considering it is supposed to be a "light fight".. But hey, it's TV.. they have to sell ads to pay for it.. It is all in good fun and hopefully a TV show is not why you do what you do for Christmas lights..

16 hours ago, DevMike said:

Repeat after me:  There is NOTHING on TV that is spontaneous.  

• Reality shows are scripted - no matter how much they will say they are not.  
  • Unrehearsed, in the moment does NOT make good TV.  
  • Execs in suits that sell programming or advertising must give the people with the $'s exactly what they want.  That requires a script and 100% control.

• That 'live remote' story on the news was scripted before going live - and includes at least a 7 second tape delay to cut out the schmoe giving the finger to the camera.
  • Reality TV is not real.  It is manufactured for effect and then presented as if it is real.
  • See the surprise on the face of the 'common people' in the show when something is shown to them?  There is no surprise.  It took 9 takes to get that look just right.
  • Talk shows don't actually feature talk.  They feature script reading. Shows like 'The Tonight Show' or 'Late Night' are scripted - down to the exact questions the presenter will ask the guest AND the guest's answer (and the guest's reaction when asked something that looks to be risque, but in reality was approved by the guest WEEKS before taping).  
  • Jerry Springer?  Scripted (or at least people are told what to do - including throwing chairs).
  • Even Game Shows (which may be held to a high standard for cheating) are edited/lit/staged in such a way to increase the wanted effect

Soooooooooooo that being said I just have to ask. Is the prize money real or is it just Monopoly money? LOL

1 hour ago, Bigfrog 59 said:

Soooooooooooo that being said I just have to ask. Is the prize money real or is it just Monopoly money? LOL

You know...  That brings up a very good point.  It may not be as real as you are lead to believe.

Shows like those home improvement ones on HGTV/etc are very good at presenting things in such a way that you are lead to believe the homeowners got all the things shown.  Reality may not be so kind.  See all that furniture and those knick-nacks that make the place look perfect?  Not included.  That whole house entertainment system?  Removed after filming.  The $20,000 paver driveway?  Gone and replaced by crushed stone.

Even shows like This Old House twist reality - and there is a prime 'DIY' show.  First off, that is a multi-million dollar home you are looking at, and the renovation budget is also in the millions - and that is ON TOP of all the 'donations' from the companies who want to be on the show.  That is nearly glossed over.  Know why that 'Pella' sticker is still on that new window they are installing?  Pella 'paid' the production some how.  Those Porter Cable tools they are using?  Paid by the company.  That wiz-bang new thing Norm Abrams is showing?  Product placement baby.

Is the prize real?  Yes.  But not as real as you are lead to believe.

This is a really good read:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/25/pimp-my-ride-cars_n_6663840.html

Oh, and hey, no disrespect to any of you who were on this or any other show.  My point is not to try to make you out to be fools.  Far from it.  I'm a ham and love being in front of people so I actually envy you a bit.  

I'm also not slagging those of you who do enjoy watching the show.  I'm sure (and happy) that you are having a good time.  That's why it's 'Entertainment'.  

...And some of these show do pull off some fantastic feats.  GCLF has to film a bunch of displays, all in the same few weeks.  Then they have to take all that footage and make a story out of it, possibly filling in the holes with B-roll or pickups.  All that needs to be edited and packaged and then sold, all within a few weeks.  Production wise the show is well made and super glossy.  Your house WILL look amazing.

1 hour ago, plasmadrive said:

I also feel that the Lights are playing less of a roll than they should, (in lieu of what sells), considering it is supposed to be a "light fight".. But hey, it's TV.. they have to sell ads to pay for it..

I agree with that one!  It's almost like the lights are almost an afterthought during the episode.  But, as said, it's an entertainment event...  Sort of like the last few Olympics broadcasts - yea there was a little sports competition shown in there somewhere...

• Like 1

23 hours ago, DevMike said:

You know...  That brings up a very good point.  It may not be as real as you are lead to believe.

Shows like those home improvement ones on HGTV/etc are very good at presenting things in such a way that you are lead to believe the homeowners got all the things shown.  Reality may not be so kind.  See all that furniture and those knick-nacks that make the place look perfect?  Not included.  That whole house entertainment system?  Removed after filming.  The $20,000 paver driveway?  Gone and replaced by crushed stone.

Even shows like This Old House twist reality - and there is a prime 'DIY' show.  First off, that is a multi-million dollar home you are looking at, and the renovation budget is also in the millions - and that is ON TOP of all the 'donations' from the companies who want to be on the show.  That is nearly glossed over.  Know why that 'Pella' sticker is still on that new window they are installing?  Pella 'paid' the production some how.  Those Porter Cable tools they are using?  Paid by the company.  That wiz-bang new thing Norm Abrams is showing?  Product placement baby.

Is the prize real?  Yes.  But not as real as you are lead to believe.

This is a really good read:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/25/pimp-my-ride-cars_n_6663840.html

Oh.. the money is 100% real. I didn't get any of it, but it is real.  You just have to pay the taxes..

23 hours ago, DevMike said:

Oh, and hey, no disrespect to any of you who were on this or any other show.  My point is not to try to make you out to be fools.  Far from it.  I'm a ham and love being in front of people so I actually envy you a bit.  

I'm also not slagging those of you who do enjoy watching the show.  I'm sure (and happy) that you are having a good time.  That's why it's 'Entertainment'.  

...And some of these show do pull off some fantastic feats.  GCLF has to film a bunch of displays, all in the same few weeks.  Then they have to take all that footage and make a story out of it, possibly filling in the holes with B-roll or pickups.  All that needs to be edited and packaged and then sold, all within a few weeks.  Production wise the show is well made and super glossy.  Your house WILL look amazing.

I don't think any of us took it that way Mike.. I didn't think you were being disrespectful at all.  Just making a point..  It's all good

I watched the episode this week and have to say I'm really pleased with who Taniya picked as the winner in her hour.  The guy who had all the binders about his incurred costs over the years, and his wife who handpainted the lights to be the exact color they wanted.  I LOVED so much about their static display.  

• Like 1