Light-O-Rama Forums

Help With First Time Purchase

Dave76

I'm in the same boat Dave76 (besides the baby part!). I just ordered my starter package, so it'll be interesting to see how this Christmas season goes. Now I'm trying to figure out how to tell my wife! I see you're in Charleston, that's only 2 hrs from me so I may need a place to stay.

11 minutes ago, Sctiger said:

I'm in the same boat Dave76 (besides the baby part!). I just ordered my starter package, so it'll be interesting to see how this Christmas season goes. Now I'm trying to figure out how to tell my wife! I see you're in Charleston, that's only 2 hrs from me so I may need a place to stay.

I had a good phone call with Dave today.  I think he went with the starter package as well.  The only thing I would have done different is I would have added the second controller.  I'll bet money that both of you wil end up with at least 1 more controller this year at full price.  This is a very addictive hobby, I started with 32 channels and ended up with 80 in my first year.  If you can solder, buy the kit and save some loot.  Props and different colors gobble up channels really fast.  Take a good digital photo of your house and start drawing your lights in the visualizer, you'll see how fast the channels go.

Z

I ran 5 controllers, 80 channels of mixed incans, blowmods, and wireframes off a single 120VAC outlet, although that outlet fed into a makeshift 5 duplex outlet system, but all 5 of the outlets were plugged into the one 120VAC outlet.   This way I could plug the 2 controller wires into each outlet, controller 1 into outlet 1, controller 2 in outlet 2, controller 3 i n outlet 3...controller 5 in outlet 5, 10 cords into 10 outlet connections, and the main outlet feeding my 10 outlets was a GFCI outlet.   Never had any problems and still use this same set up today, just no longer 5 controllers, only use 3 outside and 1 inside now, although #4 may go outside this year if things work out the way I hope they do.  Sold #5 since my display downsized at my new place.

On August 24, 2016 at 10:27 PM, Sctiger said:

Oh yeah that's good! Maybe we can figure all this stuff out!  Come visit, I mean help me hang up lights :-)

• Like 1

23 hours ago, zvacman said:

I had a good phone call with Dave today.  I think he went with the starter package as well.  The only thing I would have done different is I would have added the second controller.  I'll bet money that both of you wil end up with at least 1 more controller this year at full price.  This is a very addictive hobby, I started with 32 channels and ended up with 80 in my first year.  If you can solder, buy the kit and save some loot.  Props and different colors gobble up channels really fast.  Take a good digital photo of your house and start drawing your lights in the visualizer, you'll see how fast the channels go.

Z

Still have 1:12 to get the deals!

8 hours ago, Dave76 said:

Oh yeah that's good! Maybe we can figure all this stuff out!  Come visit, I mean help me hang up lights :-)

Throw in a visit to Husk or Hyman's and take care of all my sequencing and you've got a deal! lol

14 hours ago, Sctiger said:

Throw in a visit to Husk or Hyman's and take care of all my sequencing and you've got a deal! lol

Husk real good, Hymans total tourist attraction.

So I did pick up another controller last minute last night at 11:30pm! Peer pressure!

9 hours ago, Dave76 said:

Husk real good, Hymans total tourist attraction.

So I did pick up another controller last minute last night at 11:30pm! Peer pressure!

Yikes! Left me all alone in the minor leagues! lol.  My hat's off to you. A true glutton for punishment!  I woke up with cold sweats the other night thinking "I can't do this!" ...and that's only with 16 channels! I bought 6 mini trees and I thought I was living on the edge! :)