Light-O-Rama Forums

Visualizer with no simulation mode

indi

I was trying to establish if you even have a link between the SE and Vis.  I was asking (perhaps poorly) what happens to the sequence when you attempt to play it from within the Visualizer - does it play or not. 

Have you checked your firewall settings?

I'm having the exact same problem....exact. It was working last week. Now nothing is playing on the viz screen.

I unchecked the enhanced rendering options too.

Turn off firewall....nothing.

Win10....damn!! I should have stayed with Win 7. Ever since I upgraded.....there always seems to be little issues that pop up here and there.

Edited by CLD Kevin

I just copy the same sequence and viz file over to my show laptop which is running Win7....worked perfect. I didn't have to change anything including the enhanced rendering.

One thing I noticed different between the two is with Win 10, the Viz screen is gray even with the background intensity all the way down. Now if I uncheck the enhanced rendering it will change to black. But with Win7, the screen is black even with enhanced rendering checked.

Damn Damn Win 10!!

Running latest 4.2.12

Edited by CLD Kevin

12 hours ago, George Simmons said:

I was trying to establish if you even have a link between the SE and Vis.  I was asking (perhaps poorly) what happens to the sequence when you attempt to play it from within the Visualizer - does it play or not. 

Have you checked your firewall settings?

I can make sequence play and stop by hitting play the play or stop buttons on the SE program or by hitting the Play and stop in the Vis. The vis can control the SE just wont play simulation.

After reading the other post I wonder if it is WIN 10 Issue. I have had 10 on this Machine for approx 6 months and has not been a issue. Just started the other day.

It's a bit drastic, but if you have a System Restore point from just before this started happening, you could roll back Windows and see if that helps. Doesn't delete any data but it may roll back an errant driver update. 

The usual caveat, Backup your data first, just in case.

It's a bit drastic, but if you have a System Restore point from just before this started happening, you could roll back Windows and see if that helps. Doesn't delete any data but it may roll back an errant driver update. 

The usual caveat, Backup your data first, just in case.

I don't like doing that...done it before. And usually just a temp fix as it will happen again when windows updates again. Turning off updates should've be the solution. I don't want to go back to Win7, but may. Anyone using Win10 and not experiencing this issue?

I'll uninstall my display driver and reinstall as well as my S4 software. If this doesn't work....guess it's a trouble ticket.

LOR is going to login into my PC remotely tomorrow to see what's going on. I'll update if there is a fix.

1 hour ago, CLD Kevin said:

LOR is going to login into my PC remotely tomorrow to see what's going on. I'll update if there is a fix.

Great keep me posted. 

I got mine to work but for sure something is wrong. Temp work around.

Open up viz, check or make sure enhanced rendering (Options > Tab6) is checked. Click on the play icon. My screen goes gray. Now click on Stop button. Go back to the Options>Tab 6 and uncheck the enhanced rendering. Click on the play button icon. Stop it again and go back to Options >Tab6 again. Check the enhanced rendering again. Click on the play button again and now this time the screen goes black. Play SE and now I can see the sequence. Basically I had to disable and then re-able the enhanced rendering. Got to do it every time you close out the Viz. 

Edited by CLD Kevin

That would be weird if that is how you can get it to work, and would point me squarely at a bad video driver.

The two rendering engines are completely different under the hood, so I don't think it has anything to do with going into the old rendering engine,  Instead I think it has something to do with going into/initializing the advanced engine twice.  For whatever reason the setup of the rendering window is working the second time, but not the first.

I don't see in the code where there is anything different between the first and second setup, which leads me to think there is something wrong in the video driver for Open GL.  I'll double check that today when we do the remote and see what is going on.

Ok so i tried it. Mine was unchecked when i opened the Vis. So i checked it and it works. Close the program. Reopen and it does not work. Uncheck and it does not work. Then Check it and it does work. Close and reopen program and it does not work again. It is a temp fix but not a FIX.

Keep up posted after today's remote intervention.

Thanks

Don C.

1 hour ago, redsea300 said:

Ok so i tried it. Mine was unchecked when i opened the Vis. So i checked it and it works. Close the program. Reopen and it does not work. Uncheck and it does not work. Then Check it and it does work. Close and reopen program and it does not work again. It is a temp fix but not a FIX.

Keep up posted after today's remote intervention.

Thanks

Don C.

Again, sounds like Windows Update installed a bad video driver.  Off the top of my head I can think of NOTHING different that happens when you check/uncheck that option (other than me setting a flag that says HEY!  Use this engine when rendering).  Hopefully I can at least find some kind of work-around today -- but I don't guarantee it.

If you are willing, I may need you to do a remote session with me as well to figure out what is going on.  I'll let you know if I need one or not.

That was a quick fix....Thanks Mike!

My issue was the "Up Time". Apparently when you shut down the PC in Win10, it doesn't truly shut down....more of a hibernation. I googled it and its called "Fast Startup". When Mike checked my Up Time, my PC showed its been up and running for 33 days even though I shut down daily(Start>Power>Shut Down). The Vizualizer will stop rendering after about 24 days. So Restarting (Start>Power>Restart) actual shuts down and resets the Up Time clock.

When he restarted, the Up Time reset back to 0:00 and Visualizer worked right away. He did say that a warning window should have popped up to restart the PC so there is somewhat of a bug.

This link will show you how to disable Fast Startup. Mine was checked as a "Windows Recommended". You can leave it, but just remember to "Restart" your PC say once a week to reset the Up Time clock.

http://www.windows10update.com/2015/05/windows-10-tutorials-66-how-to-enable-or-disable-fast-startup/

Kevin

Edited by CLD Kevin

Good old hibernation strikes again.

That is always the first thing I disable after a new Windows install. I can't count how many issues have been  caused over the years by hibernation.

Much better to just sleep the monitor in my opinion.

Not to mention that hiberfil.sys takes up seveal GB of disk space.

We did do the remote today, and what I found is exactly what Kevin posted.  So my theory about the video driver being broken is wrong, at least in his case.

I still don't understand how disabling and re-enabling the rendering engine gets things to work.  It has to be a side effect of the 'time running backwards' thing.

Speaking of time running backwards -- Like Kevin said, an error message should have appeared that said something to the effect that time was running backwards and you needed a reboot.  I have to see why that did not appear in his case.

9 hours ago, DevMike said:

Again, sounds like Windows Update installed a bad video driver.  Off the top of my head I can think of NOTHING different that happens when you check/uncheck that option (other than me setting a flag that says HEY!  Use this engine when rendering).  Hopefully I can at least find some kind of work-around today -- but I don't guarantee it.

If you are willing, I may need you to do a remote session with me as well to figure out what is going on.  I'll let you know if I need one or not.

We can do a remote if you want. Should I just turn off fast startup first. Or de you want to see what mine is doing. I am in California. I cant do tonight. But can set up a time later in the week.

2 minutes ago, redsea300 said:

We can do a remote if you want. Should I just turn off fast startup first. Or de you want to see what mine is doing. I am in California. I cant do tonight. But can set up a time later in the week.

No, try the turn off fast startup first.  I have a feeling that is the issue.