• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tim Fischer

• Robin

• iresq

• stachows

LOL after putting all those frames in storage I wish you did too! I have some pics and may share them. Just in case anyone wants to see what over 400 frames look like in a room.

Also, spent about 30 minutes on the phone with the sales manager at CheapLights and will open a new thread relaying what all he told me. Also, I gave him the LOR site and told him to take a look at everything to see if anything else we discussed would or would not work.

Tim Fischer wrote:

Alternatively I'd consider dimmable LED floods that would plug into a standard LOR channel, but so far I haven't found any that are dimmable...

-Tim

Tim,

Travis has some dimmable LED floods listed here http://www.ledholidaylighting.com/LEDPAR.aspx

I don't have any, but am seriously considering them for next year to light my wife's cutout work. I need to do something to cut back my amperage; incandescent floods just draw too much for all those cutouts.

Denny wrote:

Tim Fischer wrote:
Alternatively I'd consider dimmable LED floods that would plug into a standard LOR channel, but so far I haven't found any that are dimmable...

-Tim

Tim,

Travis has some dimmable LED floods listed here http://www.ledholidaylighting.com/LEDPAR.aspx

I don't have any, but am seriously considering them for next year to light my wife's cutout work. I need to do something to cut back my amperage; incandescent floods just draw too much for all those cutouts.

Thanks for the tip. Not a terrible price either...

For the money, I'd sure rather do the ColorSplashes, though...

-Tim

• 2 months later...

iresq wrote:

I don't think power would be a concern. Standard P64 cans draw 2 amps and are very powerful. LED P64's draw .2 amps. Some led fixtures are color selectable by dip switches, which would allow non-dmx integration. But the color choices would be very limited.

Atmosphere is very important to see most non-wash effects. Fog and haze are commonly used. Neither of which work well outdoors for the purpose of supporting lighting effects (except maybe strobes). Lasers have a long reach but can't really be scene without atmospheric enhancement.

As most venues no longer allow fog/haze, it is common to use washes (both direct and ambient) as well as effects that are often projected on the walls, ceiling and floor.

For a Christmas display, I can see washing structures and trees. I could see using moving heads and scanners projecting on houses and trees. I would think that aiming lighting effects directly at your guests might be distracting.

The par amperage rating depends on what lamp you are using. Most par64s used on theatrical and entertainment shows use a 1k lamp = about 8 amps. Source 4 pars use either a 575w or 750w lamp and a 575 can obtain a fairly close output to a 1k.

If you live in a warm climate you can use a fog created from water. Mee industries and Micro cool make decent fog systems (not for indoor use)

Do NOT point lasers at people - lawsuit waiting to happen

chris

Actually, aiming the lights at your guests would not be something to do on a long time period. However, spotting the ground at their feet with moving lights would give them a different perspective and have the feeling of being part of the show.

The only problem I see is mounting the lights high enough as to not make noticeable when off yet close enough to give the dance floor/ stage production feel.

I have pretty much given up on the idea of washing the house as there are too many coro projects that would be illuminated when they were off by the lights during the wash.

• The topic was locked