Light-O-Rama Forums

Inputpup Power

Ineedmorelights

I'm interested in purchasing the Inputpup for my show this year, but I'm really confused by the LOR website accessory power description.  

The diagram shows a USB485 directly from the computer to the Inputpup, but everything I have says that the USB485 does not provide accessory power.  

Now, I don't want to run the Inputpup directly next to my computer my daisy chain network - I want it 2 - 3 controllers down the line, with another 2 - 3 controllers connected after the Inputpup.  So, I'm thinking the power should come from the controller prior to the Inputpup in the daisy chain.  

Is this correct or do I need to upgrade to the USB485B?

Any help is greatly appreciated!  

Follow up question:

If I don't need a USB485B, can I change the Inputpup controller ID using my USB485?  Or do I need to connect it directly to my computer via Ethernet to Inputpup?

I've never seen that done if anyone has any advise... 

Same here.  It's at the end of the line.  The next controller is a CMB16D-QC (6 channel DC controller).  Works just fine - every day of the year.

BTW, you cant run it on an enhanced network.

Cable it up, daisy chain it, like a regular controller. It gets it's power from pin3 (pulling from memory) from the cat5.

• Like 1

It gets power from other controllers like the CTB16PC.

Don't plug it into the ethernet jack

The USB485B is for is you are using it with no other controllers on the network, I think.

All of our AC controllers will supply ACC power on the Cat 5.  As long as you have one of those on the same cable run as an Input Pup, it will get it's power that way.

If you do not have any AC controllers on the line, it needs to get power from somewhere.  You can supply it with a USB485B (as long as there is wire between it and the input pup), or use the +9 power input on the controller:

http://www1.lightorama.com/Documents/InputPup.pdf

Page 2

I really appreciate all the feedback - makes the decision to purchase so much easier. This should be a fun last minute add for the show!

Deployments have been rough on us the last few years so I haven't added anything for two years. This year I've built a wooden sleigh as a toy donation box and I'm going to put a "control panel" on the sleigh like Santa would be using that will allow kids to control sections of the lights on/off for 15 min out of every hour.

You all are awesome. Thank you for the help!

All of our AC controllers will supply ACC power on the Cat 5.  As long as you have one of those on the same cable run as an Input Pup, it will get it's power that way.

If you do not have any AC controllers on the line, it needs to get power from somewhere.  You can supply it with a USB485B (as long as there is wire between it and the input pup), or use the +9 power input on the controller:

http://www1.lightorama.com/Documents/InputPup.pdf

Page 2

How much current for a Pup and an ELL?   I want to battery operate this combo for remote starting.

How much current for a Pup and an ELL?   I want to battery operate this combo for remote starting.

You know, I'm not really sure.  I know it is not much -- we are talking 24AWG so it won't be more than 2A.

Let me ask the hardware folks.

300mA.  Like I said, not much.

Thanks.  That should give me plenty of time on a set of batteries..   I just have to stay above about 9vdc right?  or maybe 7.5vdc for the regs to work?

More than 9V, but not more than 12V.  9V is what drives most of the equipment after being regulated, and you generally need a little more than that to get the regulator to function (like you said).  I would say somewhere around 10.5V-12V.  

Please also consider voltage drop across any distance of CAT 5.

9V?  Not the standard 5vdc regulators?  That is unexpected.  That is going to make it a bit tougher to fit batteries.. I would guess the Input Pup uses 5v on the board but I wasn't sure about the ELL.. Must use the 9V for the radio portion. 

I was going to stuff a Pup in an ELL if it would fit and see where that lead me.  haha..

Thanks Mike..

Craig

9V?  Not the standard 5vdc regulators?  That is unexpected.  That is going to make it a bit tougher to fit batteries.. I would guess the Input Pup uses 5v on the board but I wasn't sure about the ELL.. Must use the 9V for the radio portion. 

I was going to stuff a Pup in an ELL if it would fit and see where that lead me.  haha..

Thanks Mike..

Craig

V4 ELLs use 9V.  V5 ELLs use 5V.  I believe the input pup uses a 5V regulator (I have one here in the lab, but I am in the middle of moving and it has 'disappeared' for the moment.  If so and if you have only V5 ELLs, then you should be able to get away with 6V to 7V on the line (headspace for the 5V regulator and all).

Mike,

I did some testing and with 6x AA batteries I was able to run both the V4 ELL and the Input Pup.  Draw was about 75mA Q and about 98mA triggering..  I ran the voltage up to 12v with no real uptick in current draw to speak of.  I am not sure of the distance I am getting as I assume the xmitter is probably getting the raw input voltage.  I will test that tonight.. but at about 40' works great! 

Thanks for the info.

Craig