Light-O-Rama Forums

What is with the crazy prices on used equipment?

Dcroc

I thought US older people would remember without extra explanation ;).

Dude was at a booth at a fair/convention,

Jack asked the dude how much for his service,,,, to tell him if he liked his burger or not,,,, like a food critic.

When I decided to do this, the very first thing I did was seek out forums to gather information. Stayed away from Ebay until I knew a little about what I was buying. Way too easy to impulse buy on Ebay.

Gee, don't you folks get it, since RGB is taking over now {sure seems to be}, the old CTB16PC are becoming "antiquated", i.e. ANTIQUES, therefore "Collectors Items".    Now we all know why they sell for such a high price for used ones.   Maybe when mine age a couple more years I'll put 'em up for sale for around $100,000 each{yes, that's ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND dollars each!}.    Think I'll get any suckers, eh takers?  :D:lol:;):P

Edited by Orville

Gee, don't you folks get it, since RGB is taking over now {sure seems to be}, the old CTB16PC are becoming "antiquated", i.e. ANTIQUES, therefore "Collectors Items".    Now we all know why they sell for such a high price for used ones.   Maybe when mine age a couple more years I'll put 'em up for sale for around $100,000 each{yes, that's ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND dollars each!}.    Think I'll get any suckers, eh takers?  :D:lol:;):P

Hmmmmm, since you put it that way. I was going to trade-in my CTB16 gen 2 for 40% off a gen 3 but since the price on the gen 2 is going up I may just wait for a one for one swap   :D

Here there seems to be this notion that it can be purchased from LOR, never taken out of the box, and a buyer is entitled to only be asked to pay $100.00 now.

Not seeing where anyone said, or even hinted at that.  Fact is, "never taken out of the box" V1, or V2 can not run the "latest and greatest" speed/features. If you don't believe that should effect the value as much as condition, then we see things differently. One could say it depends on the buyers needs. However, it could also be said that it depends on the buyers knowledge and understanding. You can only blame yourself for not being educated on what you are spending your money on.

I don't see AC controllers going away.  There will always be a need for them. Since I have a small pile, I hope they continue to hold their value.   

I like the way you're thinking Orville. For years I've been feeling like everyone thinks my show is old because I don't use pixels.

It's not old, it's retro B)

Here's a past thread on the nutty prices people ask for used gear.

http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/35444-overpaying-for-used-equipment-is-nuts/?hl=nuts

Some think it's nobody's business what a seller prices their used gear for.  But IMO, one mission of hobby BBS, is to help educate newer hobbyist, on making good economic buying decisions.

making good economic buying decisions.

I completely missed the mark on that one. I did shop for value but I had a hard time stopping myself from buying more.

My $800.00 project budget kind of tripled or quadrupled. I don't think that I want to add it up. Mysteries are more fun.

My $800.00 project budget kind of tripled or quadrupled. I don't think that I want to add it up. Mysteries are more fun.

Yeah, same here. I've spent soooo much $$ this year on expanding my display from 99% static to incorporating A LOT....did I say A LOT. Of RGB dumb and smart pixels and strips plus all of the e1.31 and DMX controllers plus adding 48 more AC channels. My wife isn't a dumb strip, she's a smart pixel. She knows it's expensive....but she doesn't know much :-) Edited by BMurray

I like the way you're thinking Orville. For years I've been feeling like everyone thinks my show is old because I don't use pixels.

It's not old, it's retro B)

For that matter, rwertz, so is mine!   I don't have any of the "newest, gretest" stuff or pixels either.    I make do with what I have and bought, so I'm with ya on the "RETRO"! :DB)

Edited by Orville

• The topic was locked