Light-O-Rama Forums

Overpaying for Used Equipment is Nuts

mpageler

I don't begrud anyone trying to sell used equipment for as much as they can, But potential buyers should know what they may or maynot be getting and whether it's "a deal" or not.

In watching Coffer Ship sale threads and ebay ads, just seems nuts, what people will pay for used controllers and CCP/CCR.

They're paying near or in some cases, what new equipment goes for during LOR's spring and summer sales.

A current LOR Coffer Shop thread is selling 3 year old plus residential controllers  for $195. Based on 2014 spring/summer sales, you could by a fully built CTB16PC for $200/$206.   The kit version where you installed the power cords is $15 less from these sale prices.

Another current sales thread is selling some new, some used CCP's for $150.  Again, during 2014 spring sales, the cost was $175.

LOR warrenty is only for originial purchaser.  So even if you buy someone elses  unused "new" LOR equimpment, it's  w/o warrenty.

A few other authorized LOR vendors also have sales. So there are a handful of opportunities to get new, fully warrentied equipment  comparable to what  some of you are paying for used stuff.

So plan out your yearly LOR purchases, be patient and don't fall into the trap of comparing used sale prices to LOR's MSRP..ie $259 CTP16PC.

While I think it's fair to challenge prices in a sellers thread, I thought I would first rant outside of any seller threads.

As I agree with your rant, I think I paid 179.00 for new controllers...

The seller may have paid full retail and is trying to recoup some of his loss.

I can't not blame them for trying. I know how many hours I work to get my money.

So it is difficult to buy used, knowing I can wait for a sale and buy new. 

There are forum members on here who do offer their hardware at a reduced price, and I would always purchase from him/them. (Thanks Jeff!)

Those sales are few and far in between.

We don't have a cheap hobby. So don't begrudge seller for trying.

I wish them luck and hope they get it. I also hope when the time comes I can get something for my hardware.

I have 100,000+ LEDs... I am going to take a huge loss on those when this is over.

As much as I agree with mpageler, when it's second hand.

At the end of the day "it's worth what somebody is willing to pay for it"

Anything I could do to help Mike. I always help when I can if I have them. Sold those to you and I had to buy a couple LOL.. I still did not use them. I keep plenty surplus controllers and one day I will flood the market... LOL There are just something that look better to me than RGB's. A little mix just gives it a pop.....

You know... I agree. You always want to comment that "BTW, your prices are too high". However eventually someone buys them. I have probably bought more used stuff than new. That is even in lights. However, since I am slowly changing to RGB, most is new that I buying now.

You see a lot of people who are in it for only a couple of years, then they sell for just about new prices. If nothing else, the newbies need to just put it out there with the "WTB" in the classifieds and Coffee Shop threads. It might jar some of the old timers to part with one of those controllers sitting on the shelves. So when the "newbies" look "For Sale" items...maybe they will come across this.

Robert

I agree with most of what is being said with buying used equipment. I have purchased several used ccp's this year. I bought 4 of them earlier this year and they were only $125 each. Not a bad deal. I understand I won't get the warranty but I will take that gamble. I just purchased another one from the thread that is mentioned in this post for a total of $159. That included shipping. The controller has never been used according to the seller. To me I am willing to pay that even with the spring sale approaching. For one there are no promises I will receive one in the sale. And I only needed 1 more to keep as an extra. Say that I could get one in the spring sale for $169 which was last years price. Then LOR will charge me $22 on shipping and handling for just 1 controller. That is a total of $191 compared to the $159 I just spent for a controller that is only going to be used as a back up.

I have seen people pay new prices for used lor equipment. I would not do that. But in some circumstances It does make sense to purchase used equipment. At least that's my thought.

I'd buy used LOR myself, but it would have to be at a reasonable price. So my initial point wasn't to be anti-used LOR.

Just trying to educate a few more hobbyist that there are buying options.  BTW, making an offer on used equipment is also allowable. As long as it's not an rediculous offer, the worst that can happen is the seller says no and may even come back with a counter offer.

I have several other hobby interestsd and always laught at "firm price" for sale threads.  Ultimately, the seller reduced their price.

I have several other hobby interestsd and always laught at "firm price" for sale threads.  Ultimately, the seller reduced their price.

Disclaimer:  Personal thoughts, not LOR policy....

Not I.  In fact, I hate dickering - as buyer or seller.  It's not worth my time to try to get an extra $1 out of you (not you personally, you as in 'the buyer') by overpricing something and then being nice and taking off a few dollars to make you feel like you got a good deal.  Same thing on the other side.  I hate the 'I'll give you $x' for something run around.  I would much rather purchase something from someone who has a fair and firm price than make an offer on something that is overpriced just to 'receive a discount'.  

To me the only reason for OBOs is that a person is intentionally TRYING to cheat you.  This widget is worth $5, but I'll price it at $10.  Maybe I'll get a sucker that pays more than the $5 I really intend on receiving.   Is that the best way to foster trust?

This is going to be tricky...  Lets see how well I navigate this ->  As for what price someone sets for something - it is their price and really shouldn't be a concern of the public at large.  I think it is very noble of those of you who want to protect those who may not be as well versed in prices as you.  I understand, and more importantly appreciate, that you really want to help someone who is new to the game.  From the LOR side I think it is great too, since you are pointing out the advantages and costs of buying from us new rather than from someone else used.  Ensuring a newbie doesn't get the shaft will hopefully get him addicted and buy more from us....  But if the seller can find a buyer at the price he wants, should the rest of us be involved?

You know I really think it is important for the ones who have been in the hobby for a few years to point these "points" out to the newbies. Otherwise this hobby will be a very lonely place since most things will be out of the price range of your average enthusiast. I often worry about that when I see some of the prices being set out there... both new AND used. I also realize that if the makers of the different items we use in the hobby are not compensated well for their endeavors,  those fancy updated items would never come to the market place. I agree with DevMike. I hate to dicker over the prices of these items. 

I almost see some of the folks selling some items on the different forums... like what I see at local yard sales. I hear about people making boat loads of money from them. Check their pricing. Most of the stuff goes pretty cheap. Then you walk up to these estate or yard sales with tons of stuff still there and it is late in the afternoon on a Saturday. Look at their prices. Their prices are WAY higher. You ask them about that 9ft Christmas tree that they want $75.00 for. "But I paid $250.00 for it, and that was on sale."  I just smile and tell them "You just remember that when you have to drag that thing back into your attic or store house" ;-)  

I will though point out what mentioned before about warranties. (Hopefully any newbies reading this will take heed to this advice.) Remember LOR will work with you on your warranties, the fellow you bought it from will not. Something to think about if your not real good with a soldering iron ;-)

DEVMIKE - I think it is really cool that you give your opinion. It means a lot to us.

As a NOOB, I bought a NIB 16 channel at a reasonable price on eBay.

Wouldn't you know one channel stays lit? UGH! Oh well it was my first year and I only had 32 channels. Now it is my spare.

All of the new units I purchased from LOR and the units I got from Jeff work 100% and I could not be happier using LOR.

Best part is to buy from someone that you know and talk to them on the phone. Mike was new in the hobby and I wanted to make sure he enjoyed it. I got great use out of them and had plenty spare so turning a few loose was ok with me but I did understand they were not new. If Mike was happy that means Jeff was happy..

I have to say, the prices for used controllers on e-bay is just silly.  I see outdated controllers (older models) that were put together using household extension cords and tuperware containers,  for the price of new ones, and people are still bidding on them.  I scratch my head every time.  I have yet to see any "really good" deal on anything used in this hobby. I'm sure they pop up every once in awhile, but mostly....not so much.

Economics. What the market will bear is the price you can get for it. If someone, somewhere, is willing and able to buy a product for the price listed, who are we to judge? 

If I were buying a controller I'd either wait for the Spring sale  to get a new controller with a warranty....or buy used at a significant reduction in price and take my chances that everything still works. So a used CTB16pc 30 amp used....I'd give you between $125 and $150..no more...a used Pro series 30amp....$200 to $250....To me that seems fair. if its higher I'm buying new for the warranty....IMHO

The statement "an item is worth what someone is willing to pay for it" may be true.  However,  P.T.one stated "there is a sucker born every minute".  I saw a used CTB16pc for sale on e-bay. Starting bid was $279.   It sold. Which statement applies to this?  There is no defending an uneducated consumer in this age of the internet.

What is the sacale we are all supposed to use to sell equipment? Seems to me even a controler 10 years out in use that is clean and still functions as a proven unit can retain it's value.

With the cost of the equipment needed for this hobby, (to me) the warranty is worth WAY more than the $20 someone is willing to knock off the "new" price of a used item.  It's like buying a new car., Nobody likes to admit that the car drops $2000 in value the very second you sign the papers, but it's just the way it is. Like buying a car, buying Christmas light controllers is NOT an investment. If you expect to get back anywhere close to the money you put into almost any hobby.....you're gonna be very disappointed.

Kind of supprised at the attitude that a deal between a seller/buyer is nobody elses concern.

In the LOR forums, we help education and vet out disply plans/ideas/issues.  

Closing an eye to educating hobbyist on some buying strategies is short sighted IMO.

I have seen LOR equipment on ebay sell for more than list price. Just amazes me... But when search the internet I see a 100% difference in the price range or more sometimes. So I figure someone just highballs it an once in a great while someone goes for it. 

One thing I do try to warn people to when I see these threads, People will buy the "solder together kits" on sale and then sell them as a CTB16PCReadyToGO (new unused).... So I would ask these people selling if they soldered a kit. Nothing wrong with that as long as everyone knows what they are getting into. 

Dan

I think on Ebay people are thinking these are plug and play and are not doing any research.

LOL Max. I thought they are all plug and play... Haha as I have 36 of them and about 6 spare cards. Ebay here I come to sell the old and buy me some new ones.

Jeff