Light-O-Rama Forums

holidaycoro dmx to lor software

clueless67

Larryk5, is your show still up and running through New Year's?  Dad winters in Lake Suzy and is looking for shows in the area.

Sorry, but no. I actually just moved to the area a couple months ago, so I didn't have enough time to get it going this year. Went from a 2 story, with small front yard to a ranch, with a huge front yard. I have a lot to reconfigure!

No one mentioned SanDevices yet. They also have a pixel controller that I have used for 2 years with only one problem (that I caused myself).

For comparison:

PixCon16: $219.95

AlphaPix 16V2: $209.95

E682 (kit): $109.00

ECG-P12: $175.00(?)

Like many here, I'm a DIY'er, so I always go with the kit, because it's fun, I learn more, and I can tell people that I built it myself.

Of course, these 3 products all have different features, but their basic functionality is the same: to control pixels. The price difference really isn't that much when you compare it to the rest of the hardware you will have to buy for your display, so do some research before you buy. I bought the E682 before LOR sold the PixCon16, and it works great.

I have ordered a few small things from holiday coro in the past but nothing major. Tonight though I just ordered for the first time from their pre sale. They have good prices from what I see compared to a lot others. All of my equipment right now is LOR but I have plans on ordering a Falcon f16 v2. This will be my first venture into the DIY stuff. With that said I will always be a customer of LOR. Best customer service around and great products too! 

Great thread.

It's been fun watching this niche hobby grow.

My first light controller was built over 20 years ago using mechanical relays. My next iteration was using SSR (solid state relay). Both used a microcontroller for the brains. That was about the same time the "internet" was taking off, and the best site for techies to come together was "planet Christmas.com" (which is still a great site). Personally, I had thought at that time there could be a business selling controllers. I had even designed one.I remember my biggest concern was the liability (making sure it was waterproof). I put my business ambition aside as I started growing my family and working for "the man" to pay bills. However I did use my homemade controllers to create a waving snowman, a countdown sign, etc.

After a few job changes, moves, and a few more kids, I looked back into this little hobby to see where it was going. That is when I discovered Light o rama. There were a few other players, but LOR was serious. For me, the electronics and software were perfect. I was impressed with their weather proof designs. And another thing that wowed me was that they were networked. This was the leap from DIY to a real unique business in Christmas light control. I jumped in. My old controllers got retired.

Now, another seismic shift in our Christmas light hobby -- RGB.

I have been slowly amassing RGB controllers and lights from LOR, but really haven't put them to good use. This year I attempted, and had to upgrade my software to get the Pixel Editor to fully function. Then found out I needed an enhanced network, and a few other various changes. Needless to say, RGB didn't come out at my house this year. Although I did do basic macro rgb using the sequence editor.

It seemed to me that the old school LOR and new school RGB were running into each other. I decided to look around, and found holiday coro (as mentioned in this thread) doing similar RGB lights and controllers. Although they are coming from DIY, as many of us have ( including LoR), they are focused on RGB, which is where this "hobby" is heading.

Someone above made the comment about us users being caught in the middle of these two companies. I don't like to be restricted to one company because they own a proprietary piece. After my experience this season trying to get RGB to work with my existing LoR network, I realized that I wanted to control my lights using common protocols. I don't want to be tied to one company for software that enables my hardware controllers to do what I want.

I have followed this hobby for awhile, and we are definitely in for a change. I have looked at the holiday coro sale, very promising. But one thing that kept me from ordering already was my apprehension on if it would work with the LoR software I have already invested (reinvested and invested again) in. Or if in the future LoR could disable their software from working with holiday coro hardware. ( of course lor is not required to be compatible with their competition).

I want to use a system where the protocols are open. I think LoR uses a proprietary protocol. Although the RGB controllers are using standard protocols which will allow others to participate in the adoption of RGB controllers and software.

For us users, we just want to create amazing light shows. Perhaps there is a need now for an independent web site to navigate where this is heading, just as planet Christmas was for us DIYers 20 years ago. Perhaps I'll start something as I investigate the best options for me.

• Like 1

I use many lor products in my display. But also use DMX dongles and E1-31 controllers from various company's with smart and dumb pixels they are all easily programmed with the light o Rama S4. Pixel editor and superstar .

It seems the LOR S4 software package is the way to go.  And from my limited research on RGB technologies, I want to stay away from the LOR enhanced network, as that is a proprietary network, and want to gear all my future projects toward E1.31 protocol using Ethernet.

I just typed a long post, but I accidentally pressed the back button. Very annoying.

This is the main bit of it:

You can use an LOR enhanced network as well as DMX E1.31. 

You can use LOR's older controllers, alongside new enhanced network stuff, with E1.31 controllers and RS485 DMX dongles, all at once.

LOR's enhanced network is a proprietary network, but you can use LOR controller in DMX mode as well. Many E1.31 pixel controllers have an RS485 output that can connect to an LOR controller with a special cable (LOR to ESTA cable), but I think it is better to run two network types. One for LOR and one for DMX, simultaneously.

You are never tied down to one company.

HolidayCoro don't like LOR for some reason. They often say using other software is better, but what sequencer and show player you use is your choice, and LOR, in my opinion is the best. It can do both pixels and dumb RGB and ordinary single channel lights.

When I first started with the hobby I was 100% LOR. I found their products simple to use and at least for me.. they simply worked. I Started with 

2 16 channel controllers and the next year bought 2 ccr ribbons. I tweaked things with what I had for a couple years but decided to do a large add on. I added some CCB strings from LOR  but really really wanted to add a 12 ccr tree. Since I live in Canada, the current  exchange rate kills me . $3000 + was too much for me. I checked around and found HC was selling a unit on sale for 900. I did need to upgrade by Showtime but I ordered the tree and everything seemed fine. 

What others has said is so true though, HC is for  those with a bit more experience and more of  a DIY aptitude. I had an issue with the Alphapix controller where it would stop working when it got colder than a certain temperature. I tested and gave my results to David and they did find a firmware issue with the card and he sent me an update. Since then the card worked correctly. It did take some time for HC to respond but it works fine and I have had many comments on the tree the new show. Both LOR ans HC have fine products and I would probably order from both in the future, but again.. In my opinion one is pretty much plug and play and the other needs some hands on to get it to work, and if you are like me and have to stay within a budget, sometimes LOR can be a bit pricey. But again.. from my experience LOR works without hassles.