Light-O-Rama Forums

CTB16 DMX Question

godman

Do you have the DMX address set right for the lor box using the light o Rama dmx conversion chart.

I believe so.  I am not using LOR software but in the software i have my universe configured with 16 channels and channel 1 is mapped to universe 5 channel 1.  Is that what you mean?

One more thing if your running the lor box out of the pixelite board you need a crossover cable. (Holiday Coro sells them).

Actually the new pixelite boards have jumpers on them and you can use a straight cat5 cable, according to advantek.

If you using the lor ctb 16 in the dmx mode you have to use the lor conversion chart for lor to dmx   and if your using the lor controller on a dmx universe you need the crossover cable because the pin locations on the cat 5 connector is different than on the lor box.

I have seen the chart, but I guess I don't understand it.  My LOR controller unit ID is 1, so using the chart, i would use channels 1-16.  Am i correct with that?  I will try a cross over cable but as i mentioned above advantek said i wouldnt need one.

You only need a crossover cable if your using the lor controller in the Dmx mode with out the lor dongle.

Got it working last night, thanks for all the suggestions.  Part of my confusion was the universe to LOR part.  I didnt realized/understand at the time that the universe needs to match the controller ID.  once i set them to the same, i was good to go.  Thanks again.

• 3 months later...

Nice topic.

I would like to add in regards to End Of Line termination.  READ the RS485 interface protocol.  It is very clear how to do things and why.  All the stuff we are using is either Ethernet or RS485 based hardware.  I did use (15+ yrs ago) the PC's parallel port - and it worked for several years like that. 

Get the polarity right, get the pins right and you R good 2 go.  When in doubt what pins are what on any connector (rj45/xlr-3/xlr-5) the internet has many fine pictures to clear it up.

Drop a 220 ohm resistor across your (+) and (-) "DATA" line on the LAST DEVICE - NOT each one as some have tried to do.  Maximum of 32 RS485 devices per channel.  Maxium has come up with a device that will allow up to 128 devices to share the bus.  Unless you know for sure these are all the same types, stick to the protocol.

20+ years working with RS485 and Profibus (Modbus is different)  in industrial controllers - it works very well when you stick to the rules.  30-40+ years and the game hasn't changed - neither have the rules.

I personally dislike how LOR addresses their controllers - depending how you have your display setup, it can create a hole in the DMX chain resulting in more data being sent than has to be.  SOME sequencers are capable of sending only what they need to send (i.e. 120 channels vs all 512).  It does 'break' the DMX protocol a bit - doesn't harm anything.

Just my 2 cents. 

Happy Holidays!

• The topic was locked