Light-O-Rama Forums

Hardware Utility won't find any controllers

Papa6058

Have I just gotten stupid with everything that has happened in the last year? I got 2 new controller kits in the summer sale and just put one together today. I hooked up lights to it plugged the USB485B to my computer ran a CAT5 cable to controller and Hardware Utility won't find it. I moved the cat5 cable to another controller and it won't find it either, so I plugged in all my controllers plugged them in ran cat5 cables and Hardware Utility won't find anything. I know it is a dumb simple thing.... I HOPE!. When I unplug the end of the USB cable that goes into the USB485B the computer makes the unplugged something sound...... ideas and help please, I just can't seam to manage a steady brain wave.

Did you check to see what com port the usb485 is plugged in to and set that in the hardware utility.

It has been COMM 4 for years, but I tried the auto configure and it says can not find Light O Rama channel

Papa

OK. it shows my Light-O-Rama software is disabled, but I have tried rebooting system and disabling LOR then resarting I can't seam to get the light green.?!

(Thanks Darryl Lambert for the idea from a post you made on another topic!) Now if I can just fix it....

Papa

If I play a sequence in editor then try to open utility it says comm port 4 is in use, so at least I know I have the right comm set in utility 

Papa

I am on my 7th cable

If LOR software shows disable how do you enable it?

Papa

The HW doesn't need the control panel or it didn't use too. Did you by chance, allow windows update to replace the FTDI driver or whatever its called? If so, you need to replace the driver for the LOR RS485/USB adapter, back to the LOR version. Basically you use the LOR driver disk and tell it to reinstall the driver's as needed

Edited by dgrant

is the lor  control panel turned on

I have the control panel open, but the tray icon is a red bulb (disabled) so I can't say it is on

The HW doesn't need the control panel or it didn't use too. Did you by chance, allow windows update to replace the FTDI driver or whatever its called? If so, you need to replace the driver for the LOR RS485/USB adapter, back to the LOR version. Basically you use the LOR driver disk and tell it to reinstall the driver's as needed

I am going now to update and install the latest USB485B driver, I will let you know what happens Thank you

Papa

Ok, I downloaded the driver and installed and no difference. It has to be with my computer or LOR software setting. I can not get the LOR software to enable..... any ideas?

Papa

So make sure the "ALL" LOR programs are closed first. Then launch the HW utility and see if it can find the RS485/USB adapter. If it can't, try the auto configure mode in the HW and see if it can find the port. Next, if not, what OS are you running and whichever, reboot and check again to see if the port appears now to the HW utility. Its possible you need to also consider unplugging and replugging the USB cable to the computer. Its possible that the interface has failed or even the speed to the interface, from the port, has been altered from the nominal setting.

I have closed all LOR rebooted with USB disconnected reconnected USB, plugged into USB485B plugged cat cable into USB485B connected to controllers plugged in controller opened just HU can't find LOR port. I have checked speed always the same (recommended)

I am using Windows XP

I think it is a gremlin!

And you reinstalled the LOR driver for the interface? If, so, time to open a help desk ticket as I'm thinking the interface has failed. Have you tried a different usb port on the computer, then tell the HW to auto-configure again? Open the Control Panel, System, then Device manager and see if the port is flagged for a problem too. Its reaching far but hey, not working, might as well look

Worse comes to worse, I can bring mine out there to you and try it. I'm about 2.5-3 hours away from your location. But not till the rain stops!

I have opened ticket still no joy!

Tried 3 USB ports and checked Device mangler!

Thanks for the help still no joy!

Papa

LOL I would love the company and help still raining here until tomorrow

Papa

Does the device manager confirm that the port is working, and what comm port number it is?  If you are looking at the device manager and unplug the RS-485 adapter, you should see it go away in device manager, and then return when you plug the RS-485 adapter back in.  That's a good confirmation that you really are looking at what you think you are.

Ok, if they can't help you, will arrange to come out that way if you wish. I'll pm you my email address

There is usually a yellow exclamation if something is not working this shows good and yes it goes away when I unplug the USB485B

It is comm4

Papa

Sounds like either the wrong driver or the interface has failed. USB cable to the interface?