Light-O-Rama Forums

Major LAG when adding 6 CCR to my show

morden11

Hi all!

This is year 2 for me and I have expanded the number of CCRs from 1 to 6.  I upgraded my license with S3 to be able to export up to 8 ribbons, but when I did, and then played the song back in sequence editor to check timings, there is MAJOR lag in the areas that the CCRs are going crazy.  This lag then dissipates in the areas of the sequence where the CCRs are de minimis. 

What do you all recommend?  This Lag makes the sequence unusable in the editor.

-Elye

What are the specs of your sequencing machine? I've programmed sequences with 14+ CCR's (and I'm sure larger, but don't recall) and not run into any lag issues in the SE.

Hi there and thank you for responding so quickly.  It's an Alienware high end gaming machine.  Pretty heavy duty graphics card.  There is no lag in the S3 when I set up the CCR sequences there, and no lag in the SE prior to import.  But once I export the .sup as a .lms and import that .lms into the SE, it gets real choppy in areas where the CCR has very high activity (but only in the SE).  Not in S3 by itself and not in SE by itself.  Just when I merge them.

In the SE Play menu, turn off

Move Grid with Play

Vary color of Channel Buttons

Vary color of channel button fonts.

Make sure Control Holiday Lights Designer is off. If you are not using the Visualizer, make sure that option is off as well.

See if that makes any difference.

I shut off all of the items you recommended.  It made some difference but didn't completely clean up the lag.  In particular when the CCRs are going and other lights are twinkling or shimmering it gets really bad.  It will skip a second here or a second there.  

Question, will this lag necessarily carry over to the show or is it just an editor thing?  Meaning that if I pipe it out through the lights will the show run fine even if the editor does not?

The SE requires significantly more resources than running the show. I don't think I'd be worried too much about it.

If you wanted to test, just hook up a single CCR to your RS485USB adapter and run a show. 

I did also notice that if SE is up and I uncheck 'control lights' it works fine in the SE.  I will test a CCR now.  Thanks again for your counsel :)

-E

When you set the ID's for the ccr's in hardware utility did you also go to the configure tab then ccr-config and set the parameters for all 6 ccr's the same

I'm wondering if you are controlling the same channels from different areas in the sequence, such as Track 1, sending channel commands and on Track 2, you are doing them again?

Always have that problem with pixels when playing from the sequence editor.  it will work fine if you run the CCRs in the Show Editor.  S3 does a very poor job of running pixels from the sequence editor.  When S3 is upgraded (maybe 2018 ;) ), i'm guessing these problems will be fixed

I had the same lag problem with my pixel tree. I was using a 4 gig ram machine. I have since upgraded to 16 gigs of ram with a better video card now I don't have a lag problem. I just think my old laptop didn't have enough getty up.

This is a stab in the dark since it has to do with the show, but, go into the Network Preferences And change all of your ports to 115.4K. If you have a red RS485-HS, set it to 500K. 

Something has got to be wrong in your setup. I ran 4 sets of CCPs, (8 strings) my second year and had no lag in the Visualizer. I was using a dual core, p3, PC and 4 Gb of RAM for sequencing and playback on the Vis. Your Alienware PC should not have any problem running 6 CCRs. For that matter, it should run 3 times that easily. I've seen the specs on those PCs.

Another thought just came to mind, are you copying and pasting the exported .sup file to the channels in the SE or are you using the single line sequence option. I think that's what it's called. If so, try copying the .sup export effects and pasting them into the channels config. That might be the problem.

Just a couple of shot's in the dark to try.