Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR II feature request

Duke

First off, I'm a newb to LOR this year. Waiting for delivery of 2 16 channel controllers. (Need another 32 channels already. :D) I've been wanting to do this since I saw the early insane xmas light videos (before Annheiser Busch bought that guys rig for their commercials).

I've been editing audio and video for years and while working with the sequence editor I noticed that you cannot place the cursor at a specific peak in the waveform without inserting a timing event. (I use the indicator in the timeline and right click, insert timing at.., accept displayed time to get there)

It would be much more convenient if you could place the cursor on the displayed waveform at the desired location and left click it to place it. Then select "insert timing event at cursor" from a menu or hotkey (Like a"Marker in the audio world)

Also add the ability to "slide" the markers once placed.

This could also be expanded upon to include selection of a given area of the waveform and be able to use it for "playback selected area"

I guess what I would be looking for would be more of the basic audio/timeline functions much akin to those found in s'ware like Sony's Soundforge.

I read in another post somewhere of a synch or delay problem between the audio and timed events and the suggestion to add the ability to shift the sequence left or right.
Would it not be easier to add the ability to place the cursor on the waveform at it's start and select "Add silence" or select a small portion of the waveform and select "delete" to offset the audio?

3 decimal place precision for time would be be nice too although I would imagine that the hardware would have to undergo a major change to achieve that kind of resolution.

'Nuff........ I gotta get back to sequencing so I can be ready when my controllers get here. Got more lights to put up also, weather permitting.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Push Eject

• Shubb

• bob

• Duke

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes please, me too. And I thought of another really awesome one. (IMHO)

The ability to have "ON" events recorded on a per channel basis using the tapper wizard while playing back the song. THAT would be a super time saver. Of course you would have to go back and tweak them with fades, shimmer, etc but at least you would be off to a major running start.

Feedback?

Duke wrote:

The ability to have "ON" events recorded on a per channel basis using the tapper wizard while playing back the song. THAT would be a super time saver. Of course you would have to go back and tweak them with fades, shimmer, etc but at least you would be off to a major running start.

I'm not sure if I understand. Do neither of the settings "Make a particular channel briefly turn on, then turn off, whenever a tap occurs" and "Make a channel toggle on and off whenever a tap occurs" do what you're looking for?

If not, could you please explain again?

Thanks.

bob wrote:

Duke wrote:

I'm not sure if I understand. Do neither of the settings "Make a particular channel briefly turn on, then turn off, whenever a tap occurs" and "Make a channel toggle on and off whenever a tap occurs" do what you're looking for?

If not, could you please explain again?

Thanks.

Ooops, My bad.

I guess since I'm a newb, I was looking in the wrong place.
Forgot about the tapper wizard.
Old habits are hard to break and I was thinking of it being more like "Soundforge" where you could place a marker by hitting the "M" key while playing back the audio file. The tapper wizard totally eluded my newb mind.

I stand corrected. Just not used to the workflow yet.

Thanks!

My #1 request is a "Play Full" or "Play Visible" button on the tool bar. Not in the drop down window but right on top with the green play triangle. I am constantly clicking between the play full and visible screen while programming. Then 1/2 the time I forget that I'm in "Full" mode after I make a change towards the end of the sequence, click play and Bam, it starts playing from the beginning.
Also a "Play from Cursor to End" would be cool. That would really help what I call the "Quality Control" part.

Scott

I vote for a play from cursor to end button. It would save a lot of time for me rather than having to select a portion of the sequence to play.

• 2 weeks later...

I would also like to see the Paste feature work with the Background button (pasting the copy buffer onto only those cells that are totally blank).

and the request for a "Play Visible Screen" button would be great. Couple that with being able to stop play and resume play (from that point) with the Space Bar, and it would help alot.

I Know this is low on the list but has anyone thought about a total time calculator

in the show editor. So you can see total of all sequences in a particular show

when your adding them in! thanks jeff

Speaking of the tapper wizard...it would be nice to be able to set playback speed there as you can in sequence editor. For those of us who have limited rhythm...being able to slow the playback speed down to one half and then tap would make life a lot easier.

1) Play from the cursor to the end of the song would probably be my number one request.

2) Add (or put back) a pause button and have it work. (You thought we wouldn't notice, didn't you. ;))

3) In the Show Editor, I would LOVE to be able to add a Musical Sequence in the Startup and Shutdown tabs. I have a cute shutdown sequence that I have tried to play at the end of the night and it doesn't always work because of timing. ie, if the final show stops at 10, but runs until 10:01, then my final show will get skipped because it's only 45 seconds long. I can't allocate 2-3 minutes for it, because I don't want it to repeat. (Does that make sense?)

BTW, if I haven't said it already, LOR II is AWESOME!!!! Thanks guys! I would have never been able to pull off the sequences I did this year without it.

Honestly, for me there two things I would thing would save even more time.

The first is the ability to move mutiple channels to a new track all at once.
Some way to have a master channel list that would include all the tracks when you import?
Next year I will need to move about 245 channels to new track each time I start a song. If I have to do them one at a time I will have to remove all guns and sharp objects from my house.;)

Oh and is there anyway to get rid of that channel jump when sequencing?!

Outisde of that man I am good to go! Thanks for a great upgrade.

Here is my list:

The ability to define groups like in Excel and Outlook. The ability to define a descriptive line like "mega tree #1" and then have all the channels linked to that under it. You could then click the group item and all of the channels would be hidden. Click again and they expand. Expand on this with definable subgroups like under the previous example have a subgroup of "Green" for all of the channels with green lights.

The ability to move a channel to a different location in the list. A cut and paste or drag and drop type function. Would lend itself to the previous request by allowing us to define the group and then moving the selected channel under it with out having to add and define all of the criteria new.

Add audio file ripping functionality into LOR II so we would not have to have a second application to set up the files.

A mega tree and arch editor with predefined functions. You could define your tree or arch in the editor with how many channels, controllers, what colors, etc. The editor would then fill in the required info in the sequencer. Then have prebuilt functions like you have for fade, but things like spin, sweep, etc. Then you only have to drop the function into your sequence. Click on the item in the sequencer and you can define for say a sweep, how many channels, the color, or pick the specific channels you would want to use. It would cut a lot of sequencing time.

We seem to be rehashing our requests so I will throw mine in again:

Do away with Play Ranges all together and implement a play-head model:

Spacebar plays from current time, spacebar again to stop. The home key already takes you to the top if you want to start from the beginning.

I really think this is a great solution and hope everyone will give it a thought.

Cheers,
Charlie

I had another feature request that I think would be simple and a time saver to many.

This would require a "pause" button that worked during "play entire sequence" that would allow a pause, a quick change or edit, and continue to play.

------> A Sequence Notepad <------

Picture this. Brand new sequence:
1. Have a general layout or theme for the song.
2. Tapper/VU/Beat Wizard
3. a. Play sequence and listen for watch for timing marks.
b. Pause sequence. Click notepad, type notes (spin mega tree, chase mini's etc..)
c. Un-pause and continue playing sequence. Make additional notes.

Maybe a "channel" dedicated to notes that would have a drop down list. You make a note and then it would put a "marker" on the sequence that would collapse/expand when you clicked on it.

What I do now is use Windows Media Player to play the song. Pause when I want to start/stop something, and make a note in a notepad with the time and event. Then continue playing until I finish the whole song. Then start sequence editor, and make a timing mark on my "marker" channels (I have 11 markers in my configuration, 1 for each display group, mini's, candy canes, mega tree etc...)
I put a mark for the start and stop points.
Then, go back and start clicking cells until the mouse wears out.
(LOR II should reduce the mouse clicks substantially)

What do you all think of this???

Scott

Honestly, I feel like I'm speaking another language. Most likely I am not making myself clear.

Shubb, did you read my post?

Do away with Play Ranges all together and implement a play-head model:

Spacebar plays from current time, spacebar again to stop, spacebar again to play. The home key already takes you to the top if you want to start from the beginning.

Does that not address your request? :(

Cheers,
Charlie

schristi69 wrote:

Here is my list:

The ability to define groups like in Excel and Outlook. The ability to define a descriptive line like "mega tree #1" and then have all the channels linked to that under it. You could then click the group item and all of the channels would be hidden. Click again and they expand. Expand on this with definable subgroups like under the previous example have a subgroup of "Green" for all of the channels with green lights.

The ability to move a channel to a different location in the list. A cut and paste or drag and drop type function. Would lend itself to the previous request by allowing us to define the group and then moving the selected channel under it with out having to add and define all of the criteria new.

Add audio file ripping functionality into LOR II so we would not have to have a second application to set up the files.

A mega tree and arch editor with predefined functions. You could define your tree or arch in the editor with how many channels, controllers, what colors, etc. The editor would then fill in the required info in the sequencer. Then have prebuilt functions like you have for fade, but things like spin, sweep, etc. Then you only have to drop the function into your sequence. Click on the item in the sequencer and you can define for say a sweep, how many channels, the color, or pick the specific channels you would want to use. It would cut a lot of sequencing time.

Well, forget the groups thing. Read through the help file a couple of times and the tracks implementation pretty much covers that in a way. Looks like you guys went with a whole new paradigm over the way the old system worked. Going to take a bit of a learning curve and a new way of looking at how you set up your sequences. I like a lot of the new features.

Scott

Push Eject wrote:

Honestly, I feel like I'm speaking another language. Most likely I am not making myself clear.

Shubb, did you read my post?

Charlie, I know how you feel. Did you read my post?

The feature I was suggesting was a way to insert notes into the sequence during playback. Of course this would only work if you could stop/start the sequence at any point.

Shubb wrote:

Charlie, I know how you feel. Did you read my post?

The feature I was suggesting was a way to insert notes into the sequence during playback. Of course this would only work if you could stop/start the sequence at any point.

Pffft! :) Wait. What?! I have to read your posts too?! Oh geez. Who has time for that?!:D :D :D

I think being able to drop timing events into a sequence on-the-fly is a fine idea, friend.

Cheers

edited for formatting