Top Posters In This Topic

• Push Eject

• Shubb

• bob

• Duke

Top Posters In This Topic

Push Eject wrote:

Do away with Play Ranges all together and implement a play-head model:

Spacebar plays from current time, spacebar again to stop. The home key already takes you to the top if you want to start from the beginning.

How do you suggest replacing the "loop at end" functionality?

Thanks.

bob wrote:

Push Eject wrote:

Spacebar plays from current time, spacebar again to stop. The home key already takes you to the top if you want to start from the beginning.

Good question, a menu item or toolbar option called "Loop Playback". It could be valid for the whole sequence if there is no current selection or just the selected area if the user wants to loop a certain time range.

Cheers

Man if this gets any more complicated I am just going to stand out there with a bunch of plugs in one hand and an extension cord in the other. Plug one in pull one out, plug one in pull one out. plug two in pull one out......

Oh never mind. Anyone have an Aspirn?:shock:

Push Eject wrote:

bob wrote:
Push Eject wrote:

Good question, a menu item or toolbar option called "Loop Playback". It could be valid for the whole sequence if there is no current selection or just the selected area if the user wants to loop a certain time range.

Cheers

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something - I thought you were suggesting getting rid of play ranges entirely?

bob wrote:

Push Eject wrote:
bob wrote:
Push Eject wrote:

Cheers

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something - I thought you were suggesting getting rid of play ranges entirely?

Regardless of how PLAY RANGES is handled, it should additionaly work that pressing the SPACE bar makes the timeline play from the current position and hitting the SPACE bar again makes playback pause. This is how all major video editing programs work. The whole PLAY-PAUSE concept is second nature to anyone who has ever paused a cassette tape, CD, VHS tape, or DVD. This type of functionality would make the software much more intuitive.

If you wanted to get even more ambitious, you can add J-K-L keyboard functionality where J=play in reverse, K=pause, L=play forward. The first press of either J or L makes it play at normal speed. Pressing again makes it play 2X normal speed. Pressing a 3rd time makes it play 10X normal speed. AVID and Adobe Premiere video editing software packages work this way and it allows you to quickly move through the timeline with your left hand while keeping your right hand on the mouse.

bob wrote:

Yes; the playhead model is like... well... Final Cut or Premiere or Pro Tools... all of which I wish I could demo with you. :)

I'll take a whack at a screen-cast of the concept this weekend. It will be worth so much more than trying to verbally explain it. I guarantee even Robin will like it. :D

Cheers!
Charlie

I'll be a little longer than I thought with that screen-cast...

th_hdfail121407.jpg

Everything's backed up, but finding an IDE drive under 100GB for my machine is proving difficult in-town.

schristi69 wrote:

schristi69 wrote:

Well, forget the groups thing. Read through the help file a couple of times and the tracks implementation pretty much covers that in a way. Looks like you guys went with a whole new paradigm over the way the old system worked. Going to take a bit of a learning curve and a new way of looking at how you set up your sequences. I like a lot of the new features.

Scott

Scott, I wondered from your first post if you had used LOR II yet. You are going to love it. You mentioned moving channels around easily. LOR II has fixed that problem as well. Just grab it, move it, and drop it. Pretty cool.

------

I'd really like to be able to see just one track during a playback. In otherwords, have have an option to turn all other tracks off while playing the current track. Then I could work on just the mega tree or the chaser trees and not have to see all the other stuff at the same time if I didn't want to.

edit: Jeff, I'll send in my suggestions. Thanks for the email post.

melwelch wrote:

A request from me is for the Background/Foreground buttons to work with pasting...

Also the abillity to reverse and/or flip a copy and paste sequence....

Thanks for a great product

Just came here wanting to post this suggestion - trying to have trees do mirror-image sequence of each other looks so cool but a bit time consuming. A nice flip/rotate/reverse option would rock.

Push Eject wrote:

medman2000 wrote:
A nice flip/rotate/reverse option would rock.

"Toggle" doesn't do what you want?

Cheers,
Charlie

Unless I'm using toggle wrong, that just turns an "on" cell "off" or vice versa? I'm looking for something like copy 8 channels that turn on one after the other until all 8 are on, then you paste/flip and they are now all turning off one after the other until all 8 are off. Or 10 trees that fade from 100-50, would be nice to copy and paste a "flip" that would then make the 10 trees ramp from 50-100.

A lot like the photoshop tools I suppose. Well, and someone has probably already said it, but a floating tool menu (like photoshop) would be cool too.

Push Eject wrote:

I'll be a little longer than I thought with that screen-cast...

th_hdfail121407.jpg

Everything's backed up, but finding an IDE drive under 100GB for my machine is proving difficult in-town.

Oh, I hate it when that happens.

medman2000 wrote:

Push Eject wrote:
medman2000 wrote:

Cheers,
Charlie

Unless I'm using toggle wrong, that just turns an "on" cell "off" or vice versa? I'm looking for something like copy 8 channels that turn on one after the other until all 8 are on, then you paste/flip and they are now all turning off one after the other until all 8 are off. Or 10 trees that fade from 100-50, would be nice to copy and paste a "flip" that would then make the 10 trees ramp from 50-100.

A lot like the photoshop tools I suppose. Well, and someone has probably already said it, but a floating tool menu (like photoshop) would be cool too.

I think what Push Eject was saying about toogle is that you could copy the "8 channels that turn on one after the other until all 8 are on". Then paste that whole section so it looks identical to what you just did. Set the toggle switch on and re-highlight the newly pasted area. It's flips the sequence. I just tried it and it worked perfect. The fade, however, not so lucky.

Amie wrote:

medman2000 wrote:
Push Eject wrote:
medman2000 wrote:

Cheers,
Charlie

I think what Push Eject was saying about toogle is that you could copy the "8 channels that turn on one after the other until all 8 are on". Then paste that whole section so it looks identical to what you just did. Set the toggle switch on and re-highlight the newly pasted area. It's flips the sequence. I just tried it and it worked perfect. The fade, however, not so lucky.

I've learned a ton this year (my second year) and you're right, I hadn't been using toggle this way and has made a few parts of sequencing my last song even faster. Amazing how great these tools can be when used appropriately!

medman2000 wrote:

Amie wrote:
medman2000 wrote:
Push Eject wrote:
medman2000 wrote:

Cheers,
Charlie

I've learned a ton this year (my second year) and you're right, I hadn't been using toggle this way and has made a few parts of sequencing my last song even faster. Amazing how great these tools can be when used appropriately!

Maybe what we are talking about here is a flip and also a reverse of a selection of events that affects these events as a whole and not individually. (as toggle does) For instance: Say you have a run on a group of 16 minitrees and you want the run to go the other direction. Just select the whole group of events, copy, and flip/paste. The selected event timing for minitree1 is placed on minitree16, 2 on 15, etc. The minitree run is now in the other direction and fades would be intact. For a reverse/paste the fades would be reversed but the channel events would remain on the same channel. The paste function wouldn't need to be part of this event entry. It could be as simple as select and flip (or select and reverse) the existing events. (Hope I'm making some sense here)

I, too, would like to have space bar control over playback. Also, like video editing, it would be cool to be able to slide the play bar back on forth using the mouse w/slow playback speed. It would really help tighten up fast moving complicated sequences.

I got one for you. I would love to have use of the console over all boards on the loop, while still being able to call up a sequence to run. The reason for this is I would like to be able to use my Light-O-Rama eq. for DJ lighting control. Do several outdoor parties a year where this would be a real HIT!

Donald Puryear wrote:

I got one for you. I would love to have use of the console over all boards on the loop, while still being able to call up a sequence to run. The reason for this is I would like to be able to use my Light-O-Rama eq. for DJ lighting control. Do several outdoor parties a year where this would be a real HIT!

I've thought of that as well. However, the thought of sequencing that many songs is mind numbing. I'll stick with dmx and spin and pukes.

iresq wrote:

Donald Puryear wrote:

I've thought of that as well. However, the thought of sequencing that many songs is mind numbing. I'll stick with dmx and spin and pukes.

thats why I want to be able to access both seq. and the console at the same time. I could seq. the top dance hits, do some basic animation routines, and still manually control the lights. I wounder if I could operate to 485 adapters on the same data cable????????????