Light-O-Rama Forums

Dual Nic Tricks and CommListener

colonel

I've been using a switch as well.  Last season only because a pre made 50' Cat 5 cable was 4 feet short of the computer, and I did not want to make a new one and have to get back on the roof to run it.   This year I'll need one because I will have two controllers running, and like colonel said the SanDevices controllers don't chain.  (Though they do have a 5v output that you can use to power one of those cheap 4 port hubs, and then you could daisy chain by putting little hubs in the box with the controllers)

I've only ever bothered with unicast, because it works "out of the box" as far as routing is concerned once you have two networks setup AND the E1.31 devices are turned on.    I'm sticking with Unicast because I'm not trying to have two props behave identically, and since I have to setup the new universes in the network config I can add the IP addresses then, and after that I can forget about it.

I found out my problems were in my setups for the controller.   Needed to use the group 3 setup for the sequencing I had copied from LOR CCR's track to the RGB 1.31 tracks.  Once I got the group setting correct all the lights worked correctly, except then I recognized the colors were off.  Went back to test the strings with X-lights, SacNview, and the SanDevices controller testing and was able to determine the strings were not RGB as marked but GBR.  Made the updates in the controller setup for the universes where these strings were and finally got the lights to match up to sequence.  Note to self, test strips by color before cutting to evaluate them.  Going from testing to with explorer to controllers required unloading the control panel each time.  I also have to use a network switch between PC and 1.31 controllers, but that was in the plan so not an issue for me.  As long as I unload the control panel each time I conclude anything to do with LOR my LAN is much happier and other program work better.  I can see the lights on the ports of the switch calm down to just an occasional flash once the control panel is unloaded and the com listener is off.

• Like 1