Light-O-Rama Forums

Sequence editor freezes during play with high light action

bt

My sequence editor freezes multiple times during play for ~ 1/8 – 1/4 sec when a lot of light action is going on. I’m using version 3.10.6, I have a mixture of LOR & DMX universes, 1200 total channels. I thought the problem was with visualizer, but after tuning it according to the visualizer performance thread I decided to try running the sequence editor alone. Same problem happens during high light action. As the bar moves along during a play it freezes for a short time but catches up, the music is unaffected.  I’ve tried rebooting, shutting down other apps, etc. but still have the same problem.  My computer should have plenty of power; it’s a 64 bit AMD Phenom x4 with 6 Gig of Ram. Any suggestions, it makes it very hard to tell if the timing is right. 

do the light hesitate as well?  If I remember right, the output has priority and then the video screen.  It very well could be that you are processing the output ok and just your screen is lagging.  That might be your video card.  I am not a computer whiz but I seem to remember that being an issue with others and that was the reason.

I haven’t hooked up the lights yet. I’m hoping they will not be affected. Last year with only 400 channels I had problems with the lights lagging. I updated the firmware on the controllers that I could, added a seconded network so I could speed up the controllers that were updated.  It helped a lot. This year I’m still using some of the 16 chl controllers, some LOR CCB, and a lot of E1.31 DMX universes.  

It may be the video card but I would have thought by shutting down the visualizer the video card should be able to handle it – but not positive. 

Last year on my lapper I ran just 1 LOR network via ELLs.  All together about 240 channels.  No issues what so ever.  This year I have added about 3000 channels of DMX.  I haven't tried my lapper yet but on my desk top the only real lag I get running just the E1.31 if when I save or open a sequence.  I am sure that is just a size issue.  I have yet to combine the two networks.. but I am optimistic that I won't have any issues..   fingers crossed.

I did have issues with video lag last year before I upgraded my video card. I was shutting down the animator and other extraneous visual things in LOR to get it to run better. Now I have two of them and running 4 monitors and no lag like before, but I also have the latest software that is supposed to run smoother.. and it seems to. 

I never use my lapper for making shows, only playback.. maybe that is why I didn't notice issues with it last year. 

Thanks for your comments; I’ll look into my video card.  I made a mistake of the number of channels I have. Not sure what I did but I only listed my LOR channels when I printed the chnl config. With LOR and DMX I have just over 6000 chnls. The worst lag happens when my arches (3 strings of LOR CCB’s) really start jumping.  

ya know.. if you have a high speed USB converter you could run those at the 500k "super speed".  That would help a bunch I think.. If your controllers are not G3 you may have to do two networks.. Just a thought.

I had the same problem with the lag so I hooked up the pixel tree to see if it would lag. It did at first on the laptop that I was using. Bought a tower with an I5 37??k processor and 16 gigs of ram and got away from the onboard video card. There is a small exe file that I run that allows me to use 4 gigs of ram just for LOR and right now I have no lag and the tower runs great. BTW I an 500 channels of LOR and right at 7000 channels of RGB's.

Jeff

Installed a high end video card – WOW, works great, no hesitation at all. I had no idea my card was that bad, be cautious of min system requirements.