Light-O-Rama Forums

what do you guys think of this RGB pixel strip?

canadianchristmas

Hi everyone I wanted to get some more pixels for this year and was looking at these: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/5m-led-digital-strip-DC12V-input-WS2811IC-256-scale-10pcs-IC-and-30pcs-5050-SMD-RGB/701799_568458133.html They look ok, but I can't find any protection raiding (such as ip68) and even though I know some times those ratings can be extremely incorrect its still a nice bit of info to know and also I contacted Ray Wu and haven't got a reply yet so I wanted to know what you guy think or even if you own this strip yourself what you think of it. Thanks.

hi CC

I tried to buy some back ups of this string this week from ray. But I my invoice came back with that item missing. I was able to order everything else just not that item. Maybe he doesn't have it in stock. I do have 12 of these strings already and they are working well. I would probably look at sealing each end with heat shrink and silicon to keep the water out. The strip comes encased in a silicon housing and is thin, could be prone to punchers, so I would keep it away from sharp edges. I believe there is a new version of this strip ws2811B. More info can be found on it at http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/board,28.0.html

cheers

John

I have ribbons like this and got them from Ray Wu a few months ago.  They come in a silicon tube with end caps.  I believe at the time they were rated at IP67.  The end caps would be the only weak area and can be easily reinforced with a dab of silicon sealer.   I know Ray Wu does stock spare caps for those who need to custom cut their ribbon.   See  LINK

As the "tube" is crush able you might have to be a bit careful how it's mounted.  Ray Wu does have some silicon "clips" for mounting on a flat surface.  See  LINK

Enjoy!

I have - 10 C to -30 C here in Canada so would they be ok in such cold weather?

And one more thing I wanted to mount these on the sides and rooflines of my house using PVC just was wondering if you guys knew or could find me a link on how to do it.

Edited by canadianchristmas

Thanks for the info but Im on a low budget this year and I don't think I have much choice These strips you mention look great, but I don't have the money this year for them.  :(

• The topic was locked